m3gaaaan

Question about change of residency

10 posts in this topic

Hi! We are about to send our I751 packet, looked at the questions just now and I have a tricky question when it comes to change of residency, so long story short me and and husband temporarily separated; he went to live at a new address while I spent some time away in the UK, when I came back to the US I moved into his new address from our old address. I put on my AR11 the day I moved in I think as the date I came back. Come to find out we have to file the I865 for his change of address. Lots of questions if we should even file that form since we are just about to send the I751 and what he should put as his address change date. We also had to wait to have our names taken off our old lease (We were living with family) so on the lease it shows us leaving at a further date. One of my sponsors has also just recently moved so does she also have to file an I865? Lots of confusion. 

The AR-11 and I-865 should be filed based on dates you actually moved. Dates of lease starting / ending is a different thing. USCIS is concerned about your physical location, not paperwork.

Yes, all sponsors must file I-865 within 30 days of moving. 

You can only be responsible for yourself by filing AR-11. You cannot force other people to file I-865, though they're required.

P.S. Don't worry about it too much. It's better to file late than never.

Edited by OldUser

38 minutes ago, OldUser said:

The AR-11 and I-865 should be filed based on dates you actually moved. Dates of lease starting / ending is a different thing. USCIS is concerned about your physical location, not paperwork.

Yes, all sponsors must file I-865 within 30 days of moving. 

You can only be responsible for yourself by filing AR-11. You cannot force other people to file I-865, though they're required.

P.S. Don't worry about it too much. It's better to file late than never.

Kind of an update with that; so during the time that me and my husband seperated he moved on the day I flew to denver before flying to the UK; however he just told me that in terms of all his paperwork about moving he put it as january 10th because it was more temporary while we figured out all of the stuff with our seperation. I feel like the best option is to put the date as january 10th because I think that was the date I put for my AR11;I just need to check if I can see what I did put. 

15 minutes ago, m3gaaaan said:

Kind of an update with that; so during the time that me and my husband seperated he moved on the day I flew to denver before flying to the UK; however he just told me that in terms of all his paperwork about moving he put it as january 10th because it was more temporary while we figured out all of the stuff with our seperation. I feel like the best option is to put the date as january 10th because I think that was the date I put for my AR11;I just need to check if I can see what I did put. 

Never mind I just saw it doesn't have a date of, the signature is two days after the 10th anyways! 

1 hour ago, m3gaaaan said:

One of my sponsors has also just recently moved so does she also have to file an I865? Lots of confusion. 

What do you mean sponsor?  Aren't you filing to remove conditions?

24 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

Yeah, my mother in law was a sponsor on the I864 because at the time we weren't sure if we had enough for the poverty guidelines so we put her as a sponsor and she recently moved address. We used to live at her address. 

18 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

Whoever filed I-864 when OP filed forms for GC remains a sponsor until OP becomes a citizen or earns 40 quarters of social security credits.

When sponsors move they must file I-865. LPRs file AR-11.

Edited by OldUser

21 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Whoever filed I-864 when OP filed forms for GC remains a sponsor until OP becomes a citizen or earns 40 quarters of social security credits.

When sponsors move they must file I-865. LPRs file AR-11.

So to not confuse people, should I have my husband file the I-865 prior to the I751 or just after the I751? He's going to put the date of his move to the date of when he first moved just to be precise. I will put my move date to the day I flew back to the US because it is the date I moved in to this address. Is that all correct to put? I want to make sure I put down the information as accurate as possible to not cause any confusion. 

16 minutes ago, OldUser said:

I would file as soon as possible if he's late already. It doesn't matter whether it's before OE after filing I-751.

We'll probably file it all at the same time; we've just got the final forms of the I751 to finish. Alright should all be good! Hopefully I'm not overthinking this too much but just want to make sure I get everything correct. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.