Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,303 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, yvesemma said:

thanks! where did she cross? did she pay the green card fee before? 

You can pay fee any time using this link.

https://my.uscis.gov/uscis-immigrant-fee/

Green card is usually receive in 3-4 weeks after you activate your green card. 

If you are crossing border by land, you need to tell agent at the booth that you need to activate your green card, then they will take your passport and ask you to go to secondary area for green card activation

Edited by Leo The Great

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
17 hours ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

Alright friends, we're done!

The wife received her passport today with the IR1 stamped. 

Crossing this weekend! Not sure how long things take, but by my analysis, it seems cases have been moving more than in the past. Best of luck for everyone in this process!

AP since Nov 9, 2023, passport/medical request April 24, 2024, Visa/Passport in hand May 15, 2024. We got the "issued" Monday May 13, 2024, so it took about 2 days to receive. 

No DS-5535, just asked for CV. Likely a TAL hit. IR1 shows "clearance received April 23, 2024". 

Can you please update the spreadsheet with " Visa Issued". 

There is currently a request for comments from the Department of State on the DS-5535 open to the public:

https://www.aila.org/library/dos-89-fr-33437-4-29-24

Section titled: DEPARTMENT OF STATE [Public Notice 12368] 30-Day Notice of Proposed Information Collection: Supplemental Questions for Visa Applicants includes information on how to leave a comment.

Hey Everyone, 

after 3.5 years of waiting for our EB1 interview, I was given the lovely DS-5535 at the Montreal consulate… now that I comprehend what this means, definitely upset about it. Anyway, looks like on the google doc I’m the first EB1, I’ll keep it updated, considering the writ of mandamus… 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
11 hours ago, Leo The Great said:

You can pay fee any time using this link.

https://my.uscis.gov/uscis-immigrant-fee/

Green card is usually receive in 3-4 weeks after you activate your green card. 

If you are crossing border by land, you need to tell agent at the booth that you need to activate your green card, then they will take your passport and ask you to go to secondary area for green card activation

got it, my question was regarding me coming right back to Canada after activating the visa.  That wont be an issue correct? 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, yvesemma said:

got it, my question was regarding me coming right back to Canada after activating the visa.  That wont be an issue correct? 

As long as you return to USA after wrapping up the things (within six months), there should be no problem. You do not need to tell CBP unless they ask you. Once activated, you green card (stamp) is valid for one year and you can return to USA on that. 

Edited by Leo The Great

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Posted (edited)

Hi all.. my husband received form DS-5535 and 221g after my two very young children got issued theirs in February 2024. We are still waiting without a single update to our case since March 8th(seems like these were the initial updates when they receive it). This whole process has been a rollercoaster and a half!! I have until July to cross with my children :(
our timeline:

IR1 category 

started this process June 2022 

DQ’d September 2023

interview Feb 2024 

Edited by CL23

Posted (edited)

DOS seems to have opened an inquiry on DS 5535 in the last few weeks. I think this is a good sign.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2024/04/29/2024-09082/30-day-notice-of-proposed-information-collection-supplemental-questions-for-visa-applicants#:~:text=The DS-5535 solicits additional biographic information that,providing a copy of the questions electronically

I am positive if enough of us complain about the process they may staff up more people or change the process altogether. Please state your case and how unreasonable the process is.

From what I understand, to submit comments you need to follow these steps:

1. Go here: https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/PRAMain _> 

2. Use the Find functionality of your browser and look for entry "Supplemental Questions for Visa Applicants" or OMB Control Number: "1405-0226".

3. Click "Comment" next to the entry you found.
4. Submit the comment. Make sure to cite specifically Montreal and DS 5535 and long timelines.

Edited by DS5535_Child

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A post has been split from this thread and moved to the Work Visas forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Posted (edited)

I’m under AP (DS-5535) since April 2024. Today morning I was not allowed to travel to the US to visit my wife for the weekend and I was coming back on Monday May 20th. The US CBP officer at Toronto Pearson airport gave me a white paper titled “withdrawal of application for admission/consular notification” pursuant to section 212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I) in the end of the investigation.

I spent around 2 hours in secondary investigation in total.

The CBP officer asked me a lot of questions about my background, and he was convinced that I’m going for a visit after I proved it to him (He gave me thumbs up and he was about to return my passport to me). But after couple of minutes he got a call and didn’t give me the passport.

Then after around 15 mins, he came back to me and informed me that they have reached out to the Department of State and they were informed that my case is currently under background checking.

The questions he asked were so detailed and I believe this is the kind of questions that should be asked during the IV interview. Unfortunately, during the interview they only asked me 2-3 basic questions and gave me DS-5535.

I told him that I wasn’t asked about that much details during the interview and he told me “It seems that I am doing their work”. He seemed not happy about the situation as well.

He told me that this is way above him and he advised me to take the white paper he gave me to the US consulate in Toronto and speak to them.

This is heartbreaking. What are your thoughts everyone?

Edited by frhm

58 minutes ago, frhm said:

I’m under AP (DS-5535) since April 2024. Today morning I was not allowed to travel to the US to visit my wife for the weekend and I was coming back on Monday May 20th. The US CBP officer at Toronto Pearson airport gave me a white paper titled “withdrawal of application for admission/consular notification” pursuant to section 212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I) in the end of the investigation.

I spent around 2 hours in secondary investigation in total.

The CBP officer asked me a lot of questions about my background, and he was convinced that I’m going for a visit after I proved it to him (He gave me thumbs up and he was about to return my passport to me). But after couple of minutes he got a call and didn’t give me the passport.

Then after around 15 mins, he came back to me and informed me that they have reached out to the Department of State and they were informed that my case is currently under background checking.

The questions he asked were so detailed and I believe this is the kind of questions that should be asked during the IV interview. Unfortunately, during the interview they only asked me 2-3 basic questions and gave me DS-5535.

I told him that I wasn’t asked about that much details during the interview and he told me “It seems that I am doing their work”. He seemed not happy about the situation as well.

He told me that this is way above him and he advised me to take the white paper he gave me to the US consulate in Toronto and speak to them.

This is heartbreaking. What are your thoughts everyone?

Heartbreaking indeed. Others who have been under AP with ds5535 were able to visit their spouses back & forth with no issues; provided they show proof that they’re coming back (letter from work, return ticket, lease agreement etc). I wonder why your case was treated differently. What kind of details were you asked if you don’t mind sharing?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.