Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,218 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, dj222 said:

Just curious what your ethnic background is.

I am Arab! I also am Muslim and wear the hijab. However, I was born and raised in Canada and have not travelled outside of the country. Im a university student!

5 hours ago, Sisa24 said:

Could it be related to country of origin?

Possibly, my ethnicity or religion, but I was born and raised in Canada!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, candy895 said:

I am Arab! I also am Muslim and wear the hijab. However, I was born and raised in Canada and have not travelled outside of the country. Im a university student!

While travel history constitutes a substantial factor for refusal/DS-5535 requirement, it is by far not the only reason.  Note that this form is issued against your name or profile, not your visa application.  Until the security clearance against your name is issued from Washington, DC the visa will not be adjudicated.

13 hours ago, Sisa24 said:

Could it be related to country of origin?

It’s definitely related to the country of origin. I’m from Lebanon, and this is why I was given the DS-5535. No other reason.

I think they haven’t even bothered checking my background, because if they did I’m 99% sure I would have got the visa: Well educated, Very high paying career, multinational (US) company for around 10 years, visited the US a lot of times (max stay is only 10 days).

I’m also Christian, which they can obviously see on my birth certificate. Not saying that religion should be a deciding factor but that special clearance was created to mainly target muslim/middle eastern countries after 9/11.

So based on all of this info, I can confirm that country of origin is the deciding factor for DS-5535.

8 hours ago, frhm said:

It’s definitely related to the country of origin. I’m from Lebanon, and this is why I was given the DS-5535. No other reason.

I think they haven’t even bothered checking my background, because if they did I’m 99% sure I would have got the visa: Well educated, Very high paying career, multinational (US) company for around 10 years, visited the US a lot of times (max stay is only 10 days).

I’m also Christian, which they can obviously see on my birth certificate. Not saying that religion should be a deciding factor but that special clearance was created to mainly target muslim/middle eastern countries after 9/11.

So based on all of this info, I can confirm that country of origin is the deciding factor for DS-5535.

This is totally unfair. We’re being punished for being of certain countries that some of us never lived in. 

Just curious on everyone's thoughts on if the interviewer can request someone for a DS 5355 form and are there anything you can do in the interview to avoid this.

Or is it proven now that all DS5355 is determined pre-interview through some sort of algorithm?

Timeline
3 hours ago, dj222 said:

Just curious on everyone's thoughts on if the interviewer can request someone for a DS 5355 form and are there anything you can do in the interview to avoid this.

Or is it proven now that all DS5355 is determined pre-interview through some sort of algorithm?

Country, job field, high pay, projects, high degrees: MS,PHD,STEM field study  program,travel history,etc. those my understanding ...

Timeline
7 hours ago, dj222 said:

According to the declaration by Carson Wu, the choice of whether we are getting the DS 5535 form is determined by the system. There is a flagging that comes up with maybe a name match or some sort of a trigger in their database, which causes them to give us the form. Once that flag comes, and they give us the form the consular officer cannot do anything on our file until the state department does not finish their administrative processing. Once the processing is over, they send the file back to the consular officer at the consulate and re-adjudicate.

Edited by tdot2nj

Is there a new spreadsheet with our data on it? Unless I am viewing it wrong, it looks like all of the K1 data was removed from the spreadsheet.. not that I have any good news anyway. Our WOM is likely going to be dismissed (October 2021 filer, interview August 2023...) since the Court is claiming anything under 5 years is not an "unreasonable" timeframe to wait. So disgusted and burned out by this whole process...

Timeline
1 hour ago, anotheronewaiting said:

Court is claiming anything under 5 years is not an "unreasonable" timeframe to wait.

In which state is that kangaroo court located?

11 hours ago, neds said:

Is there any possibility that someone from Iran does not get the form?
I mean, it’s definite, isn’t it?

Cannot be sure about definite but there is high possibility of getting DS-5535 for a male from MENA countries including China and Pakistan. Mentally prepare for it if you are asking this question for yourself. Be positive about the outcome of the interview.

Edited by Leo The Great

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/21/2024 at 3:18 PM, dj222 said:

I'm going to guess the algorithm is programmed to pick based on lists of criteria, so the CO doesn't have to.  That in mind, some small children have been tossed into this mess, so it isn't 100% targeted choice, per se.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.