Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,243 posts in this topic

Timeline
23 hours ago, ShawnK said:

Update: IR1, April 2023 interview, no responses or updates from Montreal,  ceac only updated when I emailed them. No TAL case, nor do I work in anything related to those things . No odd travel history, only went to typical Canadian favored tourist places, Cancun, Florida...places we go to to escape our horrid winters. No arrests or anything like that. No dual citizenship.

Emails in the last 3 months received no responses from Montreal, no updates to ceac. Silence.

To update friends here, as some other users have mentioned  (a huge privilege and perk for Canadians), I too recently obtained a dual intent working visa (L class B) at the border and am now working in the United States.

I consulted with 3 lawyers, all said there will be no issues with adjusting. L class provides that privilege.  I literally walked in and completed my medical on Saturday and will file everything this week, I485. 

When applying for my L visa I was sent to secondary where the officer asked about my IR1, I simply said "it went to admin processing". He said "he needed to check a few things". He made a few calls and called me up and said it looks like "they are working on  additional documents, but I have no security concerns about you".

Big relief and I wanted to give the guy a hug and scream for joy, but kept my mouth shut and simply said thank you.

Had to pay a fee and then ran off to my flight, which I almost missed. I kept looking back thinking they would come drag me off the plane.

It was surreal to be reunited with my spouse and little kids. This process really breaks you. I've been nothing but a law abiding person my whole life.

Never got into any trouble , always avoided even discussing politics or doing anything controversial.

I'm going to adjust here in the US and not waste anymore time with Montreal.

I'm happy to stay and work in the US, the visa is valid for 3 years.

I know the mods don't want to derail this thread with AOS talk, so sorry for that, just wanted to update fellow ds5535 folks. I wish you guys all the best.

Congratulations!.

Are you based of Toronto or Calgary ?

3 hours ago, tdot2nj said:

I keep up with a DS5535 fb page with individuals from around the world. I am noticing a few people posting updates that they have received a request for their passport around the 8 month mark. I honestly wonder what causes them to have a faster processing time versus individuals from Montreal.

Can you share the FB page? TIA 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Sisa24 said:

Do you mind sharing the fb page?

If you go into fb search for this group “US Embassy Administrative Processing And Form DS-5535” its a private group with 1.5k followers. You will have to request to be part of it. 

Hey all, I’ve been following this thread since sept 2023 when I was handed a Ds 5535 at my interview. I just receive an email requesting a new medical and police clearance which is good news. The email from the consulate also asked me to “Update your DS-260 application form (CEAC.STATE.GOV) submit a copy of your bar-coded confirmation page”

when I try to edit the form online it doesn’t let me. Has anyone else encountered this request and successfully dealt with it? 

12 minutes ago, Mac1616 said:

Hey all, I’ve been following this thread since sept 2023 when I was handed a Ds 5535 at my interview. I just receive an email requesting a new medical and police clearance which is good news. The email from the consulate also asked me to “Update your DS-260 application form (CEAC.STATE.GOV) submit a copy of your bar-coded confirmation page”

when I try to edit the form online it doesn’t let me. Has anyone else encountered this request and successfully dealt with it? 

The consulate has to unlock it, I think they probably will shortly? 

On that note, did your last updated case date change today? (When they emailed you asking for all this?) 

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Mac1616 said:

When did you have your interview and when did you submit the 5535? Also, can you kindly fill out the spreadsheet for the benefit of all of us to follow the trends of the consulate? 

2 hours ago, Mac1616 said:

Looks like you have interview in Sept 2023. The DS-260 form is editable after a year and consulate generally ask you to update it. May be wait for couple of days and send email to consulate requesting them to make your form editable. 

Please update your timelines in spreadsheet for benefit of others in AP if your consulate is Montreal

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jV7rzX2eCRVoEDRhOtN9a6hDoHRLNEf1P3ZGZbQ0_Dc/edit#gid=0

Edited by Leo The Great

Timeline
4 minutes ago, ak47 said:

Which Consulate ? I would be surprised if yours is Montreal.

I would be also .. surprised, but happy to learn otherwise for the benefit of those who interviewed in Montréal as things could be picking up with visa adjudication

5 hours ago, MTLaffectee said:

When did you have your interview and when did you submit the 5535? Also, can you kindly fill out the spreadsheet for the benefit of all of us to follow the trends of the consulate? 

Interview sept 2023, submitted Ds5535 a couple days after interview 

6 hours ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

The consulate has to unlock it, I think they probably will shortly? 

On that note, did your last updated case date change today? (When they emailed you asking for all this?) 

It change a couple days before getting the email - twice. They haven’t “unlocked” it yet but i sent them an email asking if i need to do anything in terms of updating the Ds 260 

25 minutes ago, Mac1616 said:

It change a couple days before getting the email - twice. They haven’t “unlocked” it yet but i sent them an email asking if i need to do anything in terms of updating the Ds 260 

Sorry for asking more questions but:

Was it that it changed 2 days ago after having changed 3 days ago? So an update two days in a row, then silence for 2 days and suddenly an email without a case date change? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.