Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,218 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/28/2024 at 3:13 PM, Daft_Cat said:

Hi everyone, 

Some good news on my end: I got an email from the consulate today requesting my passport and a new medical. 

Thanks to everyone that reached out with their support and I hope my approval is encouragement to others that are still waiting! Hopefully this is a sign that things are moving again.

Congrats!!!  It will be interesting to see if they will process your medical and passport once received, instead of you having to wait another 6-8 weeks?  With you having to wait as long as you did in AP, I would hope they will process your documents first then someone who was just interviewed.  It would seem only fair.  Do you think they prioritize mail like this - older cases first?

On 3/30/2024 at 7:49 PM, northface said:

It is not strange that if you met a junior VO / CO , he / she wont take a very little risk then escalate the case to DS-5535 pool at DC headquarters. According to US government manual guide, VO/CO issues visa at own judgement if applicant without any hardcore issues. Why consulate in Mexico has few DS-5535 / AP cases , every month more than 2000 IV visas issued ? You will have an answer in mind ?

Well, I can only say this Vo/Co power of Ap under Ds-5535 is unfair , They have to end this brutality .... I can understand Ds-5535 because of "System" alert but not for Vo/Co thinks you deserve AP under Ds-5535.....

Vo/Co can issue AP (without Ds-5535) if they need time at embassy/consulate  level. 

On 3/30/2024 at 10:14 AM, Leo The Great said:

I agreed CO can issue DS-5535 on his own judgement (Carson WU declaration also confirmed it). I believed that (CO issued DS-5535)/(System issued DS-5535) ratio is very high for MTL. 

This is very true, our VO in Montreal interview was a young guy, he spent 45 minutes to our interview, he was very details oriented person, many times after our answers, he showed thumbs up but still issued not only ds5535 but also asked for my resume. 

3 hours ago, Pending DS5535 said:

This is very true, our VO in Montreal interview was a young guy, he spent 45 minutes to our interview, he was very details oriented person, many times after our answers, he showed thumbs up but still issued not only ds5535 but also asked for my resume. 

Mine was a young guy too. We both interviewed at the same day. He was interested in things irrelevant to my marriage. And when I it was my turn to go the second window (the actual interview), I was skipped by three numbers 💁‍♀️

Edited by Sisa24

Timeline

I'm not holding my breath. I did send an email 3 weeks ago. However, I have not received a follow up. I am keeping a close eye on CEAC to see if there are any more updates. @ak47 my interview was April 27th 2023 and I submitted my DS-5535 on May 1st 2023.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, WMBB said:

Hello, I was notified on March 19 to resubmit my passport, obtain another medical (expired), updated police certificate (expired), update DS-260 (expired) and current photos.  All provided and such were received on March 22.  And now I wait...  

Congrats! I went back and read your previous messages and it looks like you've had a long and hard road (F2A, interview Nov 2022). Glad there is light at the end of the tunnel here for you. 

Between you and Daft_Cat, that's 2 people with passport requests inside a couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, WMBB said:

Hello, I was notified on March 19 to resubmit my passport, obtain another medical (expired), updated police certificate (expired), update DS-260 (expired) and current photos.  All provided and such were received on March 22.  And now I wait...  

Congratulations WMBB. Happy for you and your family after all you’ve been through. Great to see Montreal moving again. Can you let us know some details like did you have a WOM ongoing? Have you had some unsolicited or solicited updates in the last 1-2 months? Have you emailed the consulate often during your time waiting? Sorry for all the questions but it’s so helpful to hear how people’s journeys have progressed before getting passport requests and such. TIA. 

1 hour ago, WMBB said:

congrats!

You were out of AP in April 2023 right?          

Timeline
28 minutes ago, Leo The Great said:

congrats!

You were out of AP in April 2023 right?          

Thanks!  I was in AP from November 2022 to end of March 2023 (proceeded with a WOM).  They then requested I do another medical and send passport back on April 3, 2023, to then only tell me my F2A category had just retrogressed and to ignore their request.  As of March 1, 2024, my category changed from F2A to IRI.  I am grateful, as my F2A priority date (April 2021) is still not current and likely will not be until end of year.  This has been a very long road!!!

Timeline
48 minutes ago, Irish89 said:

Congratulations WMBB. Happy for you and your family after all you’ve been through. Great to see Montreal moving again. Can you let us know some details like did you have a WOM ongoing? Have you had some unsolicited or solicited updates in the last 1-2 months? Have you emailed the consulate often during your time waiting? Sorry for all the questions but it’s so helpful to hear how people’s journeys have progressed before getting passport requests and such. TIA. 

Thank You.  We filed WOM in mid-Feb 2023 and it was concluded around March 31, successfully, followed by the request to resend passport and do another medical.  This was then paused as my F2A priority date retrogressed.  I am now a IR1, as my husband applied for citizenship (it took him only 6 months from start to finish - March 1 he was sworn in).  I emailed the consulate a few times this March of the visa classification status change, only to then have our congressman do the same to initiate the change.  Emailed them on March 1, 7 and 14 with proof, only for them to email back confirmation on March 18.  I am hoping they will acknowledge my documents soon, as this wait has been agonizing to say the least, as you all can relate.  

Edited by WMBB
update

Timeline

I just received a response from the consulate. It scared the hell out of me but after reading it again, it seems like it is in the standard response folks are getting when they have not completed the review. Did either @Daft_Cat or @WMBB get an email like this in the last few months?

"

Good afternoon,

Thank you for contacting us.

The consular officer, after carefully considering your application and reviewing all available information, determined you have not established that you are eligible for a visa and denied your visa application under INA 221(g).  Additional security screening is being conducted.  Depending on the screening results, a consular officer may reconsider your eligibility for the visa.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.