Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,234 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, ak47 said:

Has anybody here received a reply from Montreal embassy in last 25 days ?

It's been over a month for me and still didn't get a response for my email.

Looks like they are not responding to emails now.

We sent an email last Friday, so I'll update if we get a reply within the next couple weeks. Usually takes at least 10 business days. 

I've read if you email too often they won't reply. Once a month seems ok though? That's what we did. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
30 minutes ago, ak47 said:

I recently posted on this thread a screenshot of the reply I received a few days ago to my inquiry for status made in mid February.  It’s an exercise in futility to keep asking 😔

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

We sent an email last Friday, so I'll update if we get a reply within the next couple weeks. Usually takes at least 10 business days. 

I've read if you email too often they won't reply. Once a month seems ok though? That's what we did. 

I received a reply from the Montreal embassy today! I made an inquiry as to if they received my DS-5535. They didn't actually confirm receipt, just that my case was still under AP.

This is the worst process, my officer told me he approved my application, took my passport to put the visa in and I flew home. 1 day later I saw the refusal status and they sent my passport back to me.

I've been trying to stay off this forum as much as possible, I feel like time passes very slowly when I'm checking all the time (clearly not going well for me)..

Timeline

I had a question about NEXUS... does anyone here have it? Yesterday I found out that my NEXUS application is in "risk assessment" and has not been conditionally approved (I applied over a year before my interview at the MTL embassy for my IV).

I'm thinking I could have been flagged in the system way before the MTL interview and I wanted to gather more information on this theory.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, 604vancouver said:

I had a question about NEXUS... does anyone here have it? Yesterday I found out that my NEXUS application is in "risk assessment" and has not been conditionally approved (I applied over a year before my interview at the MTL embassy for my IV).

I'm thinking I could have been flagged in the system way before the MTL interview and I wanted to gather more information on this theory.

What's your interview date ?

Timeline
1 hour ago, ak47 said:

I sent an email on February 23rd and got a reply today. They did not answer my question which was whether they have received our Form 5535. Below was their response which is pretty generic. 

"Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Your case was refused under section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act and is currently under administrative processing. As soon as the administrative processing is complete, the Visa Unit will advise of the next steps if anything else is needed to complete processing the case.

We realize that these extended time periods cause frustration to many individuals, and we are sensitive to the fact that the purpose of the immigrant visa program is to facilitate legitimate travel to the U.S.  Nonetheless, the Consulate in Montreal, like all U.S. Embassies and Consulates, must adjudicate visas in accordance with the provisions of the law, and, in some cases, this involves extensive consular review and administrative processing. 

While we cannot predict when the processing of your visa will be completed, please be assured that the Consulate and the State Department are aware of your concerns and will contact you as soon as the processing is complete.

We hope that this information is helpful in replying to your inquiry.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance."

Timeline
8 minutes ago, MTLaffectee said:

I sent an email on February 23rd and got a reply today. They did not answer my question which was whether they have received our Form 5535. Below was their response which is pretty generic. 

"Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Your case was refused under section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act and is currently under administrative processing. As soon as the administrative processing is complete, the Visa Unit will advise of the next steps if anything else is needed to complete processing the case.

We realize that these extended time periods cause frustration to many individuals, and we are sensitive to the fact that the purpose of the immigrant visa program is to facilitate legitimate travel to the U.S.  Nonetheless, the Consulate in Montreal, like all U.S. Embassies and Consulates, must adjudicate visas in accordance with the provisions of the law, and, in some cases, this involves extensive consular review and administrative processing. 

While we cannot predict when the processing of your visa will be completed, please be assured that the Consulate and the State Department are aware of your concerns and will contact you as soon as the processing is complete.

We hope that this information is helpful in replying to your inquiry.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance."

This is the 'Template' reply format.

2 hours ago, 604vancouver said:

I'm enrolled in Nexus and have been for a decade - another reason I couldn't believe I got the DS-5535. 

I wouldn't overthink it. I'm not sure there's as much bureaucratic communication/coordination between silos as one might think (unless you're on some sort of watchlist). If it's any consolation, I remember the risk assessment stage taking a long time when I initially applied - several months at least. I know they had an awful pandemic backlog as well, so there could still be some trailing effects. 

Edited by Daft_Cat

Timeline
4 hours ago, Inveigh said:

Immigration Administrative Processing made the news today on Fox News

66,000 people being reviewed by 37 people...no wonder it's taking so long.

Timeline
56 minutes ago, Canucklehead said:

66,000 people being reviewed by 37 people...no wonder it's taking so long.

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Edited by CarmenD
Added more angry emojis

Welp today is officially the 4 month mark since my wife's visa interview and her being put in AP. 

We had hoped it wouldn't be as bad as people projected, given that we weren't asked for a DS5535, but apparently it's a black hole regardless. 

Stay strong everyone.. We'll all get through this somehow.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.