Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,227 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Leo The Great said:

Thanks - Mom and dad entered U.S via Niagara Falls this weekend. They were asked to go to secondary area for mom's green card activation.  CBP officer asked mom why your spouse is not  immigrating with you. She told the officer that his visa is still in processing. Whole process took 15 minutes

That is great! Good to hear that it was uneventful :) 

On 2/29/2024 at 6:44 PM, MTLaffectee said:

Do you all think we can engage multiple senators to get Montreal to answer for the high numbers of AP and 5535 (40% cases when the normal average is 17% in other consulates)? Like why are they issuing so many APs? Is it because of the movie "The Proposal"? 😔

Synopsis of the movie: Faced with deportation to her native Canada, high-powered book editor Margaret Tate (Sandra Bullock) says she's engaged to marry Andrew Paxton (Ryan Reynolds), her hapless assistant. Andrew agrees to the charade but imposes a few conditions of his own, including flying to Alaska to meet his eccentric family. With a suspicious immigration official always lurking nearby, Margaret and Andrew must stick to their wedding plan despite numerous mishaps.

Canada also historically has a significantly larger immigrant population, and we know that dual citizens are at increased risk of AP.

39 minutes ago, Leo The Great said:

Thanks - Mom and dad entered U.S via Niagara Falls this weekend. They were asked to go to secondary area for mom's green card activation.  CBP officer asked mom why your spouse is not  immigrating with you. She told the officer that his visa is still in processing. Whole process took 15 minutes

Is your dad a dual citizen, and your mom only has a single citizenship?

EB-2 NIW in AP since May 2023

3 minutes ago, APRIL2023 said:

Thank you to the person who told us about the Case Tracker app! It’s life changing. No more entering the stupid code for verification!! Wish I knew about this ten months ago!

Just remember to hit the actual refresh button on the top right corner. Even if the top bar says refreshed, it's not actually accurate.

59 minutes ago, AP_since_May2023 said:

Canada also historically has a significantly larger immigrant population, and we know that dual citizens are at increased risk of AP.

Is your dad a dual citizen, and your mom only has a single citizenship?

Both parents are dual citizen. AP for dad was triggered first time when he applied for non-immigrant US visa few years ago but was cleared within a month. Dad was expecting DS-5535 when I sponsored him as a parent of US citizen 

Edited by Leo The Great

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, APRIL2023 said:

Thank you to the person who told us about the Case Tracker app! It’s life changing. No more entering the stupid code for verification!! Wish I knew about this ten months ago!

You’re welcome ☺️ 

2 hours ago, Leo The Great said:

Congratulations on your Mom green card activation, hope your dad will get ds5535 clearance soon. 

Hello!

I am a U.S citizen and I filed for my husband (I-130) in July 2022 (got married in Canada). He was an Indian citizen with Canadian PR when we got married. During this whole process, he got his Canadian citizenship as well (in 2023). His interview for the green card was just last week- in Montreal. 

He got the refusal form (which said additional information is needed and a link to another from- which was DS5535. I am so devastated right now. As everyone else here, I just want to be with my spouse. This whole process has taken so long and I was not expecting this roadblock. The CO obviously did not give any reason to why this happened and we are trying to make sense of it. 

He did travel back and forth quite a bit since we got married (he works from home). I guess I am just looking for a reason as to why this happened with him. Even our lawyer is confused. The CO did not ask him too many questions. He said he does not have any doubts regarding our realtionship but that they need addtional information. I do not even know how to process this or how to wait for yet another process to finish. I have been reading this thread and so far, it looks like it is taking a year or even more. I do not know if I am looking for support or answers or guidance. It is awful!!

5 hours ago, MTL-DS5535 said:

Hello!

I am a U.S citizen and I filed for my husband (I-130) in July 2022 (got married in Canada). He was an Indian citizen with Canadian PR when we got married. During this whole process, he got his Canadian citizenship as well (in 2023). His interview for the green card was just last week- in Montreal. 

He got the refusal form (which said additional information is needed and a link to another from- which was DS5535. I am so devastated right now. As everyone else here, I just want to be with my spouse. This whole process has taken so long and I was not expecting this roadblock. The CO obviously did not give any reason to why this happened and we are trying to make sense of it. 

He did travel back and forth quite a bit since we got married (he works from home). I guess I am just looking for a reason as to why this happened with him. Even our lawyer is confused. The CO did not ask him too many questions. He said he does not have any doubts regarding our realtionship but that they need addtional information. I do not even know how to process this or how to wait for yet another process to finish. I have been reading this thread and so far, it looks like it is taking a year or even more. I do not know if I am looking for support or answers or guidance. It is awful!!

Sorry to hear about that.  Did consulate ask for resume in addition to DS-5535? 

There are many reason for DS-5535 like travel history, country of origin, name hit, education/work in TAL(resume is requested)  and sometimes randomly selected by system.

Please enter your information in the following spreadsheet for benefit of others once you are done with submitting DS-5535

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jV7rzX2eCRVoEDRhOtN9a6hDoHRLNEf1P3ZGZbQ0_Dc/edit#gid=0

Edited by Leo The Great

8 hours ago, MTL-DS5535 said:

Hello!

Because he is a dual citizen, or works in TAL (if they ask for CV)

Edited by AP_since_May2023

I believe the spreadsheet may now be being used incorrectly. If you were only issued a 121g or resume only please do not enter your information on this spreadsheet. This spreadsheet is for the DS-5535 Form. 

Also, the request for the passport date was indicative in the past that they are about to process your visa. Now they are asking for it on the form at the interview. I am not sure how we can indicate this on the spreadsheet. 

Thank you

1 minute ago, LYV said:

I believe the spreadsheet may now be being used incorrectly. If you were only issued a 121g or resume only please do not enter your information on this spreadsheet. This spreadsheet is for the DS-5535 Form. 

Also, the request for the passport date was indicative in the past that they are about to process your visa. Now they are asking for it on the form at the interview. I am not sure how we can indicate this on the spreadsheet. 

Thank you

I would normally agree (as a resume only case for us), but AP for 5535 or resume only are seemingly taking the same time now... 

AP is a massive black hole 

16 minutes ago, LYV said:

Thank you

It's the same AP line up

16 minutes ago, LYV said:

Has anyone considered that they may not process any of us in an election year? I don't believe anyone in this forum has been asked to redo medical/send back passport this year. 

I've been tracking other people's cases for fun, and have seen approvals/issued visas this year. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.