Black Sand

Biometrics & Documents

23 posts in this topic

Hello guys ,after 2,5 years my 10 years GC is finally approved and I will be filling n400 in couple of days. Therefore I would need some suggestions and I have some rookie questions .

1st one is about biometric appointment. It was waived for my 10 yrs GC so can I expect an appointment for my N400 ? What are usually conditions for it to be waived for n400 - asking because one trip less to Helena is always better. 

2nd question is about the documents I will be sending and bringing to my interview ( 3 years rule) .I will prepare all our tax returns since we began to fill jointly, house deed ,last wills ,health insurance, vehicles titles and insurances,some family members mail on our address, utility bills and joint bank account statements. 

Question about the bills and statements: I have enormous amount of them saved since the period I have been preparing my AOS documents, which ones should I send and bring to my n400 interview? Just a couple of new ones or all this big pile ? 

Also ,this time I decide not to ask neighbors for affidavits as I did it for GC and we don't have so many pictures as we simply don't like to take pictures. Would it be a problem?

Finally the 3rd question- since it will not be a combo interview but just my n400 ,can my husband wait outside of the USCIS building? 

Thank you for reading this long post and thank you in advance for your help. 

16 minutes ago, Black Sand said:

1st one is about biometric appointment. It was waived for my 10 yrs GC so can I expect an appointment for my N400 ? What are usually conditions for it to be waived for n400 - asking because one trip less to Helena is always better. 

No way to know or predict. You should assume you will have an appointment. If it's waived - great.

21 minutes ago, Black Sand said:

2nd question is about the documents I will be sending and bringing to my interview ( 3 years rule) .I will prepare all our tax returns since we began to fill jointly, house deed ,last wills ,health insurance, vehicles titles and insurances,some family members mail on our address, utility bills and joint bank account statements. 

Question about the bills and statements: I have enormous amount of them saved since the period I have been preparing my AOS documents, which ones should I send and bring to my n400 interview? Just a couple of new ones or all this big pile ? 

If you were applying under 5 year rule I'd bring small subset. However, you're applying under 3 year rule. If you already have a pile, my personal choice would be to bring that pile (organize it of course). Reason being: you'd show the officer you're serious about the case. Morally you'd start the interview with a stronger hand. I'm sure having a lot of evidence will reduce chance of officer doubting you don't have enough evidence.

25 minutes ago, Black Sand said:

Also ,this time I decide not to ask neighbors for affidavits as I did it for GC and we don't have so many pictures as we simply don't like to take pictures. Would it be a problem?

No, this shouldn't be a problem. You could ask to be bulletproof but I wouldn't think it's needed if you have tons of other evidence.

26 minutes ago, Black Sand said:

Finally the 3rd question- since it will not be a combo interview but just my n400 ,can my husband wait outside of the USCIS building? 

Similar to evidence question: you're applying based on marriage. A good indication your marriage is strong and bonafide is spouse coming with you to support you on this important day in your immigration journey. Even with no conditions being removed, VJ members had experiences when either spouse was present at N-400 interview OR asked a few informal questions. Tell the person at the entrance you're applying based on marriage. Many IO officers would be much kinder and more easy going if your spouse is actually inside in the waiting area.

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Similar to evidence question: you're applying based on marriage. A good indication your marriage is strong and bonafide is spouse coming with you to support you on this important day in your immigration journey. Even with no conditions being removed, VJ members had experiences when either spouse was present at N-400 interview OR asked a few informal questions. Tell the person at the entrance you're applying based on marriage. Many IO officers would be much kinder and more easy going if your spouse is actually inside in the waiting area.

Good luck!

Okay I will bring my husband in ,no problem. And thank you so much for your help. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Black Sand said:

Okay I will bring my husband in ,no problem. And thank you so much for your help. 

When will you be able to file under the 5 year rule?  I can tell you that the process is pretty easy based on 5 year rule.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

When will you be able to file under the 5 year rule?  I can tell you that the process is pretty easy based on 5 year rule.

Excellent point. If @Black Sand is close (few months away) to be or already is eligible to apply under 5 year rule, then I'd go with that.

Edited by OldUser

6 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

September this year. So you are suggesting that I wait? That is also a good idea, I will be talking to my husband about it. Thank you, we will see. 

Timeline
Just now, Black Sand said:

September this year. So you are suggesting that I wait? That is also a good idea, I will be talking to my husband about it. Thank you, we will see. 

6 months.  That would be a tough call for me. For my wife's N-400, this is all that we uploaded:

5 years Tax transcripts
Proof of my 1st marriage Termination
Proof of Wife's 1st Marriage Termination
Wife's Green Card
Our Marriage Certificate

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

5 minutes ago, Black Sand said:

I think that's your call. It looks like you have a strong case and a lot of evidence under 3 year rule. You may be able to naturalize this year. N-400s gets processed fast on election year.

If you're not in a hurry, then you can naturalize next year. However, we do not know who's going to be the next president, and how would that affect USCIS processing times and policies.

If you think you'd want to vote, then there is a chance of naturalizing before the elections.

Edited by OldUser

10 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

6 months.  That would be a tough call for me. For my wife's N-400, this is all that we uploaded:

5 years Tax transcripts
Proof of my 1st marriage Termination
Proof of Wife's 1st Marriage Termination
Wife's Green Card
Our Marriage Certificate

I have just asked my husband, checked my 1st Green card and it was actually approved November 1st '19.So it would be August when I will be eligible for 5 years rule .

We decided to go this route as you suggested (thank you so much) .

So actually I will have to just bring taxes, divorce,marriage certificate, green card,  maybe passport and that is it ? 

No any bank statements ,vehicle insurance or utility bills as for 3 years rule ? Just checking for better understanding. 

14 minutes ago, OldUser said:

I think that's your call. It looks like you have a strong case and a lot of evidence under 3 year rule. You may be able to naturalize this year. N-400s gets processed fast on election year.

If you're not in a hurry, then you can naturalize next year. However, we do not know who's going to be the next president, and how would that affect USCIS processing times and policies.

If you think you'd want to vote, then there is a chance of naturalizing before the elections.

My 1st green card was approved at November '19 .That means I would be eligible for 5 years rule at August this year and I think that I will take this route as Crazy Cat suggested. Seems to be a bit easier and I am not in big hurry. 

Just curious about evidence for 5 years rule now .

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Black Sand said:

No any bank statements ,vehicle insurance or utility bills as for 3 years rule ?

Nope.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.