Hoofie Puppet

I-129F Approved Question

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Our I-129F was approved yesterday and sent to NVC (Dept. of State) today.  What am I realistically looking at (granted we do everything immediately) as far as time to POE for my asawa (fiancée but I call her asawa)?  Thanks!

Edited by Hoofie Puppet

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***I moved this topic to the Philippines regional forum for our PI experts to answer***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

You are somewhat at the mercy of NVC.  "Sent to NVC" only means they strapped it to a turtle's back and hope the turtle will eventually wander to NVC.  Seriously, though, it takes 2-4 weeks for NVC to receive your petition and another 2-3 weeks for them to assign the MNL case number.  Both of those are estimates.  It can take longer, or it can be quicker.  Start requesting the status from NVC in a couple of weeks using the public inquiry form online.

Once you get the MNL case number, things are somewhat in your control.  With the case number, you can complete the DS-160, pay for it, and then schedule your interview.  I read that SLEC is backed up right now.  Hopefully that will clear up before time for your medical exam.

A fairly reasonable estimate to POE would be 3 months if you push once you get your case number.  1.5 months until Manila receives your petition, then another 1.5 months for interview, medical, and CFO.  There are always variables, so be patient.  For example, my petition took 2.5 months just to GET to NVC, while some others with the same NOA2 took only 2 weeks.  I think it was that turtle's first trip.  You're almost there...

Timeline

Thank you for all your help with this and other questions!  I don't want to get ahead of myself, but, I want to start getting things knocked out a quick as possible.  I am self-employed and summertime is usually very busy for me.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but all GCP is now in person and they did away with the WhatsApp class?  Can we go ahead and get this done although we are still several months from the visa?

Timeline

CFO is all in-person now.  They prefer that you already have the visa prior to CFO.  It's not difficult to get an appointment, so there is no rush.  You should be able to complete CFO within a few days of her getting her passport back after the interview.  Getting in before you have the visa is difficult and not really worth the effort.

1 hour ago, Hoofie Puppet said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all GCP is now in person and they did away with the WhatsApp class?  Can we go ahead and get this done although we are still several months from the visa?

You need to have visa in hand to schedule. They only do in person. I don't think they ever did it via whatsapp. My wife did it over the phone during Covid but it is all back to in person now. Don't worry about it, it is pretty fast to schedule it.

Timeline

Excellent, thank you.  I have heard that they interview everyone before the actual seminar.  Is it similar to what they do at the embassy or are they really grilling?

Timeline
7 hours ago, Hoofie Puppet said:

I have heard that they interview everyone before the actual seminar.

Mine was the other way around.  First, the seminar, then individual counseling.  It was quite relaxed.  Nothing to get worked up over anymore.  Bring the same documents you took to the embassy.  One of the questions they like to ask is beneficiary's mother's maiden name.  Mine was swift enough to realize she had a copy of my birth cert and glanced at it.  Make sure she knows your address, state, phone number, and anything about kids or previous marriages.  Tell her to be confident.  Mine took place in Cebu.  Others may be different.  I feel like they are running it like it was intended now, to prepare them for moving to another country, instead of looking for any reason they can to delay you.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Is this the proper form to start inquiring about my NVC number?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/ask-nvc.html

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Wow!  They sent my MNL number quickly!  I received it after using the inquiry form.  In fact, about 10 days ago when I landed in Manila, I received it via email!  I suppose I'll get a letter soon.  How long does it t take to get the letter in the mail?  I have to pay the embassy fee, right?  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.