MariAndJoseph

Which divorce decree is needed? My wife is preparing to interview and she asked me a question.

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I am naturalized us citizen and married my spose in our home country. We are originally from same country, my wife asked me a question and i cannot find the answer. of course i came here. thankful for you guys.

I had a marriage and divorce years ago in Atlanta, Georgia. I don't think I registered that marriage/divorce (don't know if it is a requirement) in our foreign home country. My previous Marriage took place in the usa and we got divorced here legally in the usa. 5 years after this divorce i married my current wife. We married in our home country and she is now going through green card process there.

She needs to submit divorce decree for my previous marriage which is fine. I have divorce decree issued here in the us. it is valid and good. Is the divorce decree acceptable and enough? in our case, it was issued by the state of Georgia.  My wife asked me if the embassy needs to see divorce decree from the country where the embassy is? I am still a citizen of my home country but divorce doesn't exist there because marriage and divorce happened here in the usa years ago. I didn't even visit my country during that marriage so i think they were never informed about the marriage and divorce. 

I have submitted my divorce decree with I130 application. is that documentation enough for my wife to bring to interview?  thank you guys, my question is simple but i hope i didn't make it sound complicated.

Joseph.

Edited by MariAndJoseph

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You are fine with the divorce decree issued in the state of Georgia as you submitted in the I130 and she can take a copy of it to the interview.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
6 hours ago, MariAndJoseph said:

Hi, I am naturalized us citizen and married my spose in our home country. We are originally from same country, my wife asked me a question and i cannot find the answer. of course i came here. thankful for you guys.

I had a marriage and divorce years ago in Atlanta, Georgia. I don't think I registered that marriage/divorce (don't know if it is a requirement) in our foreign home country. My previous Marriage took place in the usa and we got divorced here legally in the usa. 5 years after this divorce i married my current wife. We married in our home country and she is now going through green card process there.

She needs to submit divorce decree for my previous marriage which is fine. I have divorce decree issued here in the us. it is valid and good. Is the divorce decree acceptable and enough? in our case, it was issued by the state of Georgia.  My wife asked me if the embassy needs to see divorce decree from the country where the embassy is? I am still a citizen of my home country but divorce doesn't exist there because marriage and divorce happened here in the usa years ago. I didn't even visit my country during that marriage so i think they were never informed about the marriage and divorce. 

I have submitted my divorce decree with I130 application. is that documentation enough for my wife to bring to interview?  thank you guys, my question is simple but i hope i didn't make it sound complicated.

Joseph.

The final decree of divorce from Georgia is sufficient. However, be sure that your partner brings the certified copy issued by the relevant county or court when they attend their interview. Basically, they need the piece of paper with the raised stamp and all the wording that declares the divorce to be final or absolute. Good luck!

5 hours ago, Dashinka said:

You are fine with the divorce decree issued in the state of Georgia as you submitted in the I130 and she can take a copy of it to the interview.

Good Luck!

3 hours ago, InaneTripe said:

The final decree of divorce from Georgia is sufficient. However, be sure that your partner brings the certified copy issued by the relevant county or court when they attend their interview. Basically, they need the piece of paper with the raised stamp and all the wording that declares the divorce to be final or absolute. Good luck!

thank you both so much. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.