Daniel84mark

N400, marriage based GC- Lawyer is recommending waiting till 5 year mark for naturalization due to amount of traveling?

7 posts in this topic

Good afternoon! Hoping I can get some input on my lawyers recommendation for filing my N400. I received my green card back in March 1st 2021 via marriage AOS. My lawyer recommended I wait till 2026 to apply for naturalization due to the amount of days I traveled between March 2021 and now. He said I have traveled too much. In total, I have been outside of the US for 230 days in the past ~3 years.

In total I have traveled:

• two month trip on vacation with my family + spouse in 2021,
  • two month trip with spouse in 2022 in the summer.
  • 1 month trip in December of 2023 for winter.
  • + A couple trips (1 week or so) here and there to visit family
  • 230 days in total, longest trip was 64 days.

My original thought was that since I am eligible for 3 year naturalization via marriage, I needed 547 days physically present in the US + continuous residency.

Currently have around 800 days in the US + never left for more than 64 days.

I am quite confused why my lawyer wants to wait till the 5 year mark, anyone have any input? 

Based on what you described, you should be eligible to apply under 3 year rule.

Few clarifying questions:

- How's the marriage?

- Do you live together?

- Any issues with this marriage in the past?

- Did you have issues getting GC?

- How much bonafide marriage evidence do you have?

- Did you show this calculation to lawyer? What did they say to your argument you only need about 547 days inside (not sure about the number myself)

- Did you consult with a different lawyer? What did they say?

Edited by OldUser

16 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Based on what you described, you should be eligible to apply under 3 year rule.

Few clarifying questions:

- How's the marriage?

- Do you live together?

- Any issues with this marriage in the past?

- Did you have issues getting GC?

- How much bonafide marriage evidence do you have?

- Did you show this calculation to lawyer? What did they say to your argument you only need about 547 days inside (not sure about the number myself)

- Did you consult with a different lawyer? What did they say?

thanks for the reply!

- Marriage is great! No issues at all

- Have lived together now since 2019

- No issues with this marriage in the past. Both our first marriage as well.

- Had no issues getting our initial GC. Process was pretty smooth.

- We had joint bank accounts, taxes, lease, photos, joint memberships, and notarized affidavits.

-  got that number from here- If I am understanding correctly, I need 18 months in the US. https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-g-chapter-3

Edited by Daniel84mark
edit

3 minutes ago, Daniel84mark said:

thanks for the reply!

- Marriage is great! No issues at all

- Have lived together now since 2019

- No issues with this marriage in the past. Both our first marriage as well.

- Had no issues getting our initial GC. Process was pretty smooth.

- We had joint bank accounts, taxes, lease, photos, joint memberships, and notarized affidavits.

-  got that number from here- If I am understanding correctly, I need 18 months in the US. https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-g-chapter-3

I see no reason not to apply.

5 year rule is easier, sure.

But 3 year rule is doable.

Did you or do you have I-751?

Edited by OldUser

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
10 hours ago, Daniel84mark said:

Good afternoon! Hoping I can get some input on my lawyers recommendation for filing my N400. I received my green card back in March 1st 2021 via marriage AOS. My lawyer recommended I wait till 2026 to apply for naturalization due to the amount of days I traveled between March 2021 and now. He said I have traveled too much. In total, I have been outside of the US for 230 days in the past ~3 years.

In total I have traveled:

• two month trip on vacation with my family + spouse in 2021,
  • two month trip with spouse in 2022 in the summer.
  • 1 month trip in December of 2023 for winter.
  • + A couple trips (1 week or so) here and there to visit family
  • 230 days in total, longest trip was 64 days.

My original thought was that since I am eligible for 3 year naturalization via marriage, I needed 547 days physically present in the US + continuous residency.

Currently have around 800 days in the US + never left for more than 64 days.

I am quite confused why my lawyer wants to wait till the 5 year mark, anyone have any input? 

Your lawyer is wrong, you are free to apply, I have a friend who had more stays out of the US than you do and she had no problem naturalizing. Just make sure you provide enough proof of ongoing marriage when filing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.