LeroyJenkins

How To File i-130 Expedite in My Situation

27 posts in this topic

On 1/25/2024 at 11:08 PM, Legend of Summer said:

did you get a letter from your doc to help you expedite? 

No, only a translated diagnosis from the doctor in China with the recommendation to perform the surgery. I wrote a separate cover letter to explain the situation, but agree that having a doctor provide a written statement would be stronger.

3 hours ago, gtrplayr said:

No, only a translated diagnosis from the doctor in China with the recommendation to perform the surgery. I wrote a separate cover letter to explain the situation, but agree that having a doctor provide a written statement would be stronger.

Just be thankful you're in China. Even if you don't get expedited, I've heard the embassies there are at least reasonable.

My wife is in the Philippines. I have doubts that she'll ever get to the US given the blatant discrimination against immediate relatives of US citizens that the Manila embassy has been displaying.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Manilla may be slow but they seem much easier to get through than many other Consulates.

The saying they give K1s out like candy seems to have merit based on the VJ experience.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

10 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Manilla may be slow but they seem much easier to get through than many other Consulates.

The saying they give K1s out like candy seems to have merit based on the VJ experience.

Not for spousal visas. They haven't sent out an interview letter since June. People have been DQ'd since May with no end in sight.

See the giant thread on this forum and the many Facebook groups on this topic for more details.

As of right now, for immediate relatives of US citizens, probably only Islamabad and Mexico are worse (like I said, for now).

Timeline

It seems K1's are backed up as well.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
34 minutes ago, LeroyJenkins said:

Are they?

I haven't heard that. I'm in the Philippines right now and it seems like everyone is getting a K1 interview within weeks of being DQ'd.

I think you are mixing up the processes between K-1s and spousal visas.  There is no DQ for a K-1.  Aren't Philippine K-1 interviews set by the fiances, themselves, when appointments are available? 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

15 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I think you are mixing up the processes between K-1s and spousal visas.  There is no DQ for a K-1.  Aren't Philippine K-1 interviews set by the fiances, themselves, when appointments are available? 

I don't know anything about K-1 visas honestly. I'm just reporting what I've observed among people I personally know here and read elsewhere.

I'm a little confused though. There are no DQs for K-1 visas? I thought they went through NVC and needed to be DQ'd.

I was talking to another poster who claimed to be good friends with a congressman. That congressman supposedly told him that the reason for the problems (at least at the Manila embassy) is the NVC not adapting to new appointment regulations in Manila (and some other consulates). I initially thought this was a crazy theory, but your comment is making me question my logic. Would you say that this explanation is plausible (that the cause is NVC and not the embassy itself)?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
21 minutes ago, LeroyJenkins said:

There are no DQs for K-1 visas? I thought they went through NVC and needed to be DQ'd.

K-1 cases go through NVC only to get a DOS case number assigned. No documentation is required.  NVC holds them there until the consulate requests the cases.  Then, at most consulates, the applicant schedules their own interview.  There are a couple exceptions which come to mind. 

BTW, unless things have changed, all PI immigrant cases, by law, are automatically given preference at USCIS due to a hurricane years ago.  I'm not sure if that is still the case. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

K-1 cases go through NVC only to get a DOS case number assigned. No documentation is required.  NVC holds them there until the consulate requests the cases.  Then, at most consulates, the applicant schedules their own interview.  There are a couple exceptions which come to mind. 

BTW, unless things have changed, all PI immigrant cases, by law, are automatically given preference at USCIS due to a hurricane years ago.  I'm not sure if that is still the case. 

Thanks for the info.

Well, I don't know that particular law, but if it is in effect, they are certainly breaking it. I think you've participated in another thread about this, but the amount of CR1/IR1 visas that have been processed each month (compared to F-category visas and certainly tourist visas) has been appalling.

It's to the point that we started the process in mid-2023 and I'm convinced that my wife will not be able to come to the US until 2026/2027 unless we find a way to switch embassies.

10 hours ago, gtrplayr said:

Might need to have the doctor ask for an expedited case. 

Timeline

The basis would be that the treatment needed is not available other than in the US and he needs his wife to assist him.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.