Paul Board

Submission of I-130A when completing I-130 online

18 posts in this topic

Good morning. I am a UK national married to a US national, we have two children who both have US citizenship/passports. We currently live in the UK. Route to take for visa I believe is I-130, I-864 (AoS), DS-260 (online App) and then interviews etc. 

As my wife and I currently live in the UK we are completing the I-130 online. How do I submit the I-130A? Is this scanned in and submitted as part of the online I-130A?

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Paul Board said:

Good morning. I am a UK national married to a US national, we have two children who both have US citizenship/passports. We currently live in the UK. Route to take for visa I believe is I-130, I-864 (AoS), DS-260 (online App) and then interviews etc. 

As my wife and I currently live in the UK we are completing the I-130 online. How do I submit the I-130A? Is this scanned in and submitted as part of the online I-130A?

Thank you.

I realise I am not answering your question but ..

When you say US National .. do you mean US citizen? . US national is a different  status

Is your spouse working ? Will she have a US based job offer of job to go to immediately ? If this is a yes, then direct Consular filing may be possible.. and way faster   Only possible if its done before submitting the I 130 .. other conditions apply but if you file the I 130 first, then the DCF possibility is gone 

Timeline
33 minutes ago, Paul Board said:

Hi, apologies, poor terminology on my behalf. She is a US citizen. She is working now, but in the UK and doesn't have a job lined up for when we move to the US yet (plan to move over summer 2025). Is the DCF not for individuals currently living in the US?

No. DCF is direct consular filing .. available only to USC petitioner living outside of the US  who meets the criteria.. much less available now and v tight requirements .. up to each consulate if they will accept the petition. You are probably thinking of the Adjustment of Status available under certain conditions to those already in the US   Does not apply to your circumstances 

3 hours ago, Paul Board said:

Thank you.

The route you’ve described is for those already in the US, so not relevant to you. You’ll be doing consular processing rather than AOS. File the I-130 and then once that’s approved you’ll apply for your visa. Here is the process laid out step by step - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition.html

HTH. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
9 hours ago, Paul Board said:

Yes, this is correct.  You complete the I-130A PDF, save the file, and upload it as an additional document when completing and submitting the I-130 online.  When you refer to AOS and I-864, it is clear that you mean the "affidavit of support," not "adjustment of status," also referred to as AOS so this is where some responses may have been confused.  The first step is I-130 and I-130A.  Then you wait a year or more for the petition to be adjudicated and sent to NVC (National Visa Center), which can take 1-2 months.  When your file gets to the NVC, you will be asked to upload a completed I-864 (affidavit of support or AOS) with supporting financial documents for the primary sponsor (spouse), and any joint sponsors.  You have 1-2 years from filing the I-130/I-130A to figure out financial sponsorship and US domicile for the US citizen spouse.  The NVC stage also requires the DS-260 and uploading of some civil documents.  You can also upload additional evidence of the marriage relationship at the NVC stage.  Good luck!

Great thanks appleblossom, yeah I have never intended to use the AOR route. I have been following that process and intended to focus on the I-130 online first, but still believe I need to complete a I-130a as the spouse of a US citizen? 

Lil Bear, what is the process for the Direct Consular Finding and how do I check if I am eligible (if correct route to take)?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Paul Board said:

Great thanks appleblossom, yeah I have never intended to use the AOR route. I have been following that process and intended to focus on the I-130 online first, but still believe I need to complete a I-130a as the spouse of a US citizen? 

Lil Bear, what is the process for the Direct Consular Finding and how do I check if I am eligible (if correct route to take)?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/filing-petitions-outside-the-us.html

4 hours ago, Paul Board said:

Carmel 34, thank you, that makes sense and is what I expected. 

When you fill out the 130 online there is a section to upload 130a. It is very clear so you won’t be able to miss it

Timeline
1 minute ago, Paul Board said:

Great, thank you.

I did see that link Lil Bear, but unfortunately don't fall within and of the exceptional circumstances for consideration. Thank you.

😓. But better that you were able to read it and rule it out than find out  after filing the I130 that the DCF has been possible. Good luck 

Evening. We have completed I-130 online uploading all evidence asked for, including uploading I-130A. I have not seen any requirement to provide any evidence with the !-130A. I would expect to upload my (spouse beneficiary) birth certificate etc or current UK passport, or some form of evidence relating to myself. I have read the I-130/I-130A instructions but they also do not state any evidence to submit with the I-130A. Can anyone please confirm that no evidence is to be submitted with the I-130A specifically for the spouse beneficiary?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.