CARR1

Selling house in Canada?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am a US citizen/Canada PR, husband is Canada citizen and last month we submitted the 1-30 online.  I have lived in Canada for almost 10 years and we will stay in Canada together until he has a via in hand.  We are aware this can take up to 2 years, but I am curious is it best for us to sell our house in Canada before he receives his visa? I keep reading about a 25% tax and of course would rather not pay that.  Our current mortgage renews next fall, so we were thinking of selling the house at that time and renting for our remaining time here.   We will use the proceeds of our house sale here to fund the move, purchase a house in the US.  TIA! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, CARR1 said:

I am a US citizen/Canada PR, husband is Canada citizen and last month we submitted the 1-30 online.  I have lived in Canada for almost 10 years and we will stay in Canada together until he has a via in hand.  We are aware this can take up to 2 years, but I am curious is it best for us to sell our house in Canada before he receives his visa? I keep reading about a 25% tax and of course would rather not pay that.  Our current mortgage renews next fall, so we were thinking of selling the house at that time and renting for our remaining time here.   We will use the proceeds of our house sale here to fund the move, purchase a house in the US.  TIA! 

Simplest tax approach is to ensure it is sold before he enters the US using the visa   Can be the day before .. or when it suits you before that. Remember that visas are not guaranteed, so don't do anything that  you can’t recover from /live with  if it is delayed or denied 

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline
13 hours ago, Lil bear said:

Simplest tax approach is to ensure it is sold before he enters the US using the visa   Can be the day before .. or when it suits you before that. Remember that visas are not guaranteed, so don't do anything that  you can’t recover from /live with  if it is delayed or denied 

Ok great, thanks so much. Yes, aware no guarantee on the visa. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Selling before the move save a lot of headaches. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

As a person that owned a house and sold it while in the US, sell it before.  My word - dealing with CRA is a pain in the rear to begin with, but dealing with CRA NR division is even worse, if that's believable.  Tax withholding coupled with clearance certificates...sell before!

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 1/8/2024 at 10:13 AM, mam521 said:

As a person that owned a house and sold it while in the US, sell it before.  My word - dealing with CRA is a pain in the rear to begin with, but dealing with CRA NR division is even worse, if that's believable.  Tax withholding coupled with clearance certificates...sell before!

Thanks! We will for sure sell before we get to the interview stage. 

• 2 months later...
Timeline
On 1/19/2024 at 3:06 PM, CARR1 said:

Thanks! We will for sure sell before we get to the interview stage. 

You have 6 months from the date of your medical or interview, whichever comes first (usually the medical) to enter the US and activate the visa.  Usually we are all in a hurry to reunite with our partners, but at least there's a window!  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.