lifegoeson123

I131-Reentry permit for US citizen's mother-Documents to show at the airport

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Dear amazing Visajourney community,

Happy new year to you all!

My mom has a US green 10 year green card. She applied for I-131 Reentry Permit on 02.17.2023, and got her biometrics done on 03.21.2023. We haven't heard anything or received any reentry approval permit document from the USCIS since then. 

She flew back to our home country, Vietnam in July 2023 and is living there since then. 

Since I will give birth in the summer, my mom plans to come back to the US before my delivery to help me here. :)

Do you guys know if it is okay for her to come back to the US when she hasn't got her reentry approval? I heard it may take 2 years to get it. Which documents will she need to show the Home Land Security at the airport to get in the US? She only has her green card and the receipt of I-131 biometrics.

Thank you so much for your help!

Your mom has a green card. It's advisable she's back to the US.

She doesn't need the permit if she's back within less than a year of absense. Even if she's out of the US for more than a year, she should come back to be with you and maintain her US residence.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Have her show the GC, but keep the NOA from the I131 in case CBP asks her anything.  A lot of GC holders apply for a re-entry permit and their plan change and they come back to the US prior to the REP being approved.  She should have no issues.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thank you so much @OldUser and @Dashinka! My due date is August 3, 2024. My mom left the US on July 8, 2023.

As @Dashinka mentioned, she can come back to the US even within July 8, 2024 to my due date? It would pass her one year mark of leaving the country. But she already has the reentry application. She gets so bored if coming here and has nothing to do, just waiting for the baby to be born lol :))

I am considering time to book a flight for her! 

Thanks so much again for your time!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-5 Country: Vietnam
Timeline

@lifegoeson123 Hey. My mom was in the same boat like your mom. Im also Vnmese as well if that help.

Applied in June 2022, got reentry permit in October 2023. 

Safest route is for your mom return before July 2024 in case reentry permit get deny. If you return before one year, you are ok.

Thats what I did for my mom last year. Return to US before one year mark and go back to VN again. This is my mom 6th reentry permit, this time they only give her 1 year reentry permit. Which is sad compare to previous one which is 2 years. 

Flying to LAX seems easier compare to IAD. One time, we flew to hawaii and the border patrol gave us a hard time even though my mom had reentry permit.

The border patrol cannot deny your mom entry. Only immigrant judge can. Unless she signed form I-407 to give up her green card at the airport. 

There are some service for people staying outside of the US 5 or 6 years, then able to come back. But that is one shot only. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.