James1223

Pre Interview Checklist

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello, my partner and I just received our interview date for January 2024. We have been looking over the document requirements and had a few clarifying questions for a few of the documents. Sorry if some of the questions seem dumb or idiotic, we are just stressed that we may accidently forget something and wanted other's opinions/thoughts. Thank you in advance!

For the record, we are getting our information from https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/GUZ-Guangzhou.html#pre_interview_checklist

In terms of affidavits of financial support - some background: we ended up filling out an I-864 for me and my dad (joint sponsor). We also submitted a I-864A for my mom.

1) This means we will need to bring the IRS tax transcript for the 2022 Tax Year for my mom,  dad, and I. My mom and dad have the same transcript as they filed jointly. In addition, we will also be bringing the appropriate tax returns/W2s/Schedules/etc in case they need them, but understand that this is extra and may not be needed.

2) Proof of my status and my parents' status in the USA: using passports

3) Proof of domicile of my parent's status and mine in the USA: Bring utility bills, credit card statements, etc <--- is this necessary? Or are tax forms sufficient?

4) On the website, it reads "Affidavit of Support Photocopies: The affidavit of support must account for all applicants on the petition. Each derivative family member needs to bring one (1) photocopy of the principal applicant’s affidavit(s) of support. If each applicant has their own individual petition, each affidavit of support must include that applicant’s own name." 

What does this mean? Is this just indicating the I-864 and I-864A forms, or is it indicating something else?

Also, in one of the emails the NVC sent to us when our case was first created: it said this "Please Note: You must bring the exact original of any scanned document you upload to CEAC that NVC accepts to your immigrant visa interview. Failure to bring the exact original you uploaded to CEAC may delay the processing of your case."

However, in the instructions on the website, it said that photocopies are allowed. Does this mean we need to bring original copies of me and my parents' passports and utility bills? Or are photocopies of those okay?

Lastly, I just wanted to  make sure that for the photographs and birth certificates, it is asking for the applicant NOT the petitioner. I do need to take any photographs or bring my birth certificate.

Thank you,

James

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Always best to bring the most original document available, and a photocopy.  Pay close attention to the difference between the words "and"  "or" etc.  They are there for a reason.  Don't interpret "or" to mean "and".

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

Always best to bring the most original document available, and a photocopy.  Pay close attention to the difference between the words "and"  "or" etc.  They are there for a reason.  Don't interpret "or" to mean "and".

I know it states that proof of status AND domicile is required. For status, it lists a photocopy of passport as acceptable. But with what you said, do you think bringing just a photocopy is okay? I would prefer not to send my whole family's passports abroad in case they need it.

In addition, on another site, one proof of domicile is a tax return. However, I know for the interview, I have to bring the tax forms anyways. Do you know if it is acceptable to use the tax form to fulfill both requirements? Or would that be considered "double-dipping" and I should bring another form of proof of domicile?

Thank you!

Timeline
19 hours ago, James1223 said:

I know it states that proof of status AND domicile is required. For status, it lists a photocopy of passport as acceptable. But with what you said, do you think bringing just a photocopy is okay? I would prefer not to send my whole family's passports abroad in case they need it.

In addition, on another site, one proof of domicile is a tax return. However, I know for the interview, I have to bring the tax forms anyways. Do you know if it is acceptable to use the tax form to fulfill both requirements? Or would that be considered "double-dipping" and I should bring another form of proof of domicile?

Thank you!

No, don't send the actual passport.  For joint sponsors, you must show their status AND their domicile.  A tax return does neither.  Use a utility bill with both names.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
17 hours ago, pushbrk said:

No, don't send the actual passport.  For joint sponsors, you must show their status AND their domicile.  A tax return does neither.  Use a utility bill with both names.

Thank you for your help! I will do that.

I was looking over my documents one last time before I sent it and had one more question if you don't mind helping.

When I first uploaded the tax documents, I uploaded a tax transcript for my father (joint sponsor). The NVC responded asking for a W2 and 1099 to show his income, but my father did not have those forms. Instead, I had his accountant write a statement that my father only has a Schedule E and K1 and also uploaded those subsequent forms to the NVC portal. After that, our case became documentarily qualified.

With that being said, I was planning on sending over those forms (Schedule E, K1, and Accountant Statement) alongside the Tax Transcript and Tax Return. Do you anticipate that during the interview they will ask for a W2 and 1099 again? Would the letter and the other two forms be enough evidence to get the okay from the interviewer? Or should I prep something else (not sure what honestly) to prevent possible delays? My thought is that since the NVC approved it with those documents, it should be fine - but I can't help but be worried about the whole thing.

Thank you, and I hope you have a Merry Christmas :) 

James

Timeline
5 hours ago, James1223 said:

Thank you for your help! I will do that.

I was looking over my documents one last time before I sent it and had one more question if you don't mind helping.

When I first uploaded the tax documents, I uploaded a tax transcript for my father (joint sponsor). The NVC responded asking for a W2 and 1099 to show his income, but my father did not have those forms. Instead, I had his accountant write a statement that my father only has a Schedule E and K1 and also uploaded those subsequent forms to the NVC portal. After that, our case became documentarily qualified.

With that being said, I was planning on sending over those forms (Schedule E, K1, and Accountant Statement) alongside the Tax Transcript and Tax Return. Do you anticipate that during the interview they will ask for a W2 and 1099 again? Would the letter and the other two forms be enough evidence to get the okay from the interviewer? Or should I prep something else (not sure what honestly) to prevent possible delays? My thought is that since the NVC approved it with those documents, it should be fine - but I can't help but be worried about the whole thing.

Thank you, and I hope you have a Merry Christmas :) 

James

Send what you suggested.  No telling whether anything carried in will actually be asked for.  The issue is to be prepared for anything.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Enough? Why not make sure you have MORE than enough? What you REASONABLY can gather - include the statement.

Edited by RandyW

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.