B_P

Getting court documents in Jamaica?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Has anyone ever been in the situation where they needed to get court documents from a Jamaican court for their nvc documents? 

We need court docs for my husband who's been arrested and charged in the past, but not convicted. We tried once already to get docs and they say they could not locate any file. Just trying to figure out my next steps. His police certificate came back clean since he was not convicted but we already indicated on the DS-260 that he had been arrested before. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
22 hours ago, B_P said:

Has anyone ever been in the situation where they needed to get court documents from a Jamaican court for their nvc documents? 

We need court docs for my husband who's been arrested and charged in the past, but not convicted. We tried once already to get docs and they say they could not locate any file. Just trying to figure out my next steps. His police certificate came back clean since he was not convicted but we already indicated on the DS-260 that he had been arrested before. 

Be sure it is the right court first. If they cannot find any file, ask them to put that in writing.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
41 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Be sure it is the right court first. If they cannot find any file, ask them to put that in writing.

It was definitely the right court. We're going to try again. What's not helping is the police certificate shows no arrests and he doesn't recall when the arrest and court dates happened...

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Serpentmoon said:

Go to the courthouse where he had his case.. Go and get his 'Court records". It's different than the police certificate.. My husband did that..

That's what we're going to try and do, again. My husband doesn't remember what dates or year he went to court because it was so long ago. Did your husband have to provide the court with information for them to look?

No- but since he did have a prior arrest 12 years previous , we were advised from a few lawyers it would be helpful to also have that court record, and it was. but we still needed to supply some more info that we did and our currently still waiting in Administration processing.. 

Your husband should remember what courthouse he was involved with - he needs to go there and explain the situation and hopefully they can find the info.. If not get something in writing form them showing you went there and what the outcome was. The more info you have the better- even if just to show you've attempted to get the info-have something in writing from the officials and not just your word.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Serpentmoon said:

No- but since he did have a prior arrest 12 years previous , we were advised from a few lawyers it would be helpful to also have that court record, and it was. but we still needed to supply some more info that we did and our currently still waiting in Administration processing.. 

Your husband should remember what courthouse he was involved with - he needs to go there and explain the situation and hopefully they can find the info.. If not get something in writing form them showing you went there and what the outcome was. The more info you have the better- even if just to show you've attempted to get the info-have something in writing from the officials and not just your word.

Oh no, sorry to hear that.

Is the administration processing related to the court records or something else? Hope it gets sorted out for you soon.

He couldn't get a medical appt until after his exam - so that was one reason.. He got that and we sent it via courier along with his passport.. They also wanted us to provide the info on Jamaica laws in regards to what he was arrested for.. (The statutes) which I thought was strange since it was never requested and one would think they'd have this info or at least access to in at the embassy via their law dept.  But fortunately his sisters friend is a lawyer in Jamaica and sent copy of it that- I  emailed it as  well as sending it in with his medical and passport via courier service.   So now we just wait.. it's be almost 4 weeks.. But its  almost 4 years since we first started all this .. Covid made things difficult not to mention just the absurd and dysfunctional system to begin with and as you know nothing easy in Jamaica either.. lol

Good luck 

Timeline
41 minutes ago, Serpentmoon said:

He couldn't get a medical appt until after his exam - so that was one reason.. He got that and we sent it via courier along with his passport.. They also wanted us to provide the info on Jamaica laws in regards to what he was arrested for.. (The statutes) which I thought was strange since it was never requested and one would think they'd have this info or at least access to in at the embassy via their law dept.  But fortunately his sisters friend is a lawyer in Jamaica and sent copy of it that- I  emailed it as  well as sending it in with his medical and passport via courier service.   So now we just wait.. it's be almost 4 weeks.. But its  almost 4 years since we first started all this .. Covid made things difficult not to mention just the absurd and dysfunctional system to begin with and as you know nothing easy in Jamaica either.. lol

Good luck 

You are sure right about nothing being easy when it comes to Jamaica lol. But really appreciate the advice and info. Good luck to you too!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.