saetric

Marriage based self application AOS for a H1B + US Citizen: need help to build confidence to self-apply

4 posts in this topic

Hello Visa Journey community,

I have been in the US on a continuous and valid H1B visa and I94 for the past 10 years. I married a US citizen in 2023 and are preparing to apply for marriage based AOS for myself. I also have an employer based I140. Here are some of the details:

* We have dated since 2018 and got married in 2023.

* We have been living together since Nov 2021 in my partner's house. They bought the house in 2019, before we decided to get married and before I moved in, hence I am not on the deed.

* After getting married, we have joint documents like bank statements, utilities, home insurance, holiday cards, etc.

* We have plenty of pics together and with family and friends. 

* we both have our passport, birth certs, driver license, marriage cert, SSN cards, tax transcripts, etc.

we have friends who are in the similar visa + citizen case, but they all applied with the help of a lawyer. We would like to apply for the AOS by ourselves since I believe our case is straight forward. We are a little scared to apply by ourselves since there is a lot of documentation. I also have questions around how to travel on my H1b when my AOS is pending with USCIS. 

* Is there anyone in this community who is similar visa + citizen case who applied themselves and not through a lawyer? Did you face any issues/RFE?

* are there any blogs you followed on how to write the cover letters, affidavits for support of our relationship, make packages for each form, etc?

* are there any immigration firms who can just help us with legal advice related to paperwork, travel, expiry of H1B while AOS is pending, etc.?

~Topic moved to AOS from work, student, or tourist visa.~

Guides up top have what you're looking for and other members of VJ community who have been through the AOS on their own will shortly add their bits. I don't think you need a lawyer at all.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

1 hour ago, saetric said:

* Is there anyone in this community who is similar visa + citizen case who applied themselves and not through a lawyer? Did you face any issues/RFE? this website mostly self filing. you can follow here : 

* are there any blogs you followed on how to write the cover letters, affidavits for support of our relationship, make packages for each form, etc? i recommend that you do research via google, youtube, reddit, Visajourney , USCIS website ( they give the instrutcion) etc. the more you read the better. some post can be misleading, but if you do your research, detail oriented, you will soon see which one thats incorrect 

* are there any immigration firms who can just help us with legal advice related to paperwork, travel, expiry of H1B while AOS is pending, etc.? are u talking about law firms ? if yes, go to AILA website, cold call lawyers and pick 2-3 that gave free consultation. the more information u get the better

OP, my case was slightly different but also pretty straightforward and we did everything ourselves.

My advice:

1. Start by making a separate folder for each application you are working on and store all documents in each of those folders accordingly (even if you will submit the same document twice e.g. a picture of your passport for each application, save that image in each folder separately)

2. Once you are ready to submit, scan each submission as one file - this is useful if you want to reference exactly what you sent. 

3. Put each submission in a manila envelope and then together in a priority mailer.

4. My cover letter was simple "To whom it may concern: Enclosed, please find the following submission and supporting documentation for each application:

I-130 application 

- document 1

- document 2" and so on.

5. Make sure to notarize as many written documents/affidavits as possible. Won't hurt and gives you an extra layer of legitimacy

Good luck! The process is scary but it is actually simpler than a lot of people think (as long as your case has no issues like removal, criminal history, etc.)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.