MAHALisMAHAL

N600K interview for 11 year old adopted child in January

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

What do I need to bring?

Not really worried but what will they be asking?  He has been with us since birth and has been to the states on a B1/B2 visa.

Do we get a certificate of Citizenship at the time of the interview

I am the US Citizen who filed for him, can my wife who is also a US Citizen go to the interview?

Thank You in advance

*** Moved from Bringing Family of USC forum to US Citizenship General Discussion, where topics about N-600K procedures are discussed ***

3 hours ago, MAHALisMAHAL said:

What do I need to bring?

Bring the originals/certified copies of the civil documents you submitted with the N-600K.  Also, bring a print-out of the child's I-94 online record -- https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/recent-search

On 12/2/2023 at 12:12 AM, Chancy said:

*** Moved from Bringing Family of USC forum to US Citizenship General Discussion, where topics about N-600K procedures are discussed ***

Bring the originals/certified copies of the civil documents you submitted with the N-600K.  Also, bring a print-out of the child's I-94 online record -- https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/recent-search

Thank You

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2023 at 5:12 PM, Chancy said:

Please tell me if we should apply for the i94 beforehand or just request it upon entry? And how much time does it take to get it ? 

On 1/5/2024 at 1:26 PM, Kwik said:

Please tell me if we should apply for the i94 beforehand or just request it upon entry? And how much time does it take to get it ? 

The I-94 record will be generated upon CBP inspection on US entry.  No need to make a special request for it.  Just check the record online maybe a day after arrival in the US.

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, MrPond said:

@MAHALisMAHAL Did you do the interview? How was your process? We'll be submitting an N600-K for our adopted son also. Would love to hear how everything went for you guys. Thanks!

Yes we did the interview.  Before you file check this website to see which center has the shortest processing time:

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

Make sure before you file you can show you have LEGAL custody of the child.  When I was finally contacted by USCIS for the interview, I had to choose an interview date within 90 days.  If I didnt already have a B1/B2 visa for my son this would have been a problem so make sure you can just pick up and travel when they contact you.  I was also sent a request to show the child has been living with me since I filed.  I provided them with my drivers license and electric bill showing the same home address listed on his school papers.

I brought with me all the original papers of the PDF files I sent them.  Birth certificate, adoption papers, my passport, 2x2 passport fotos.  We are also told to prove he entered the country legally for the interview so I had a photo copy of his entry stamp and I downloaded his I94  showing when he entered.  https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

For the interview, she asked my son what his full name is and his date of birth.  Then she asked him what my name is.  Then she asked how tall he was.  She asked us to wait outside and 30 minutes later brought us back in and had me and him sign his citizenship certificate.  That was it.  I only have to do this 2 more times for his sisters. :)

Good luck

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Hi All,    Thanks for all the information regarding N600K Process. I applied for my adopted daughter's Citizenship (N600K) in Jan 2023. I opted for Las Vegas USCIS office. The processing time shows 17.5 months. So I am expecting interview this year. I have few questions regarding Interview and oath process.

1) After the Interview how long USCIS takes for scheduling Oath. 

2) How many days trip I have to plan to US solely for N600K process?

Please share any information on the above.

Thanks

12 hours ago, reddymeda said:

Hi All,    Thanks for all the information regarding N600K Process. I applied for my adopted daughter's Citizenship (N600K) in Jan 2023. I opted for Las Vegas USCIS office. The processing time shows 17.5 months. So I am expecting interview this year. I have few questions regarding Interview and oath process.

1) After the Interview how long USCIS takes for scheduling Oath. 

2) How many days trip I have to plan to US solely for N600K process?

Please share any information on the above.

Thanks

The interview 2 weeks ago lasted 10 minutes.  They sent us outside afterwards in to the waiting room. 30 minutes later they called my son and I back in and gave us the citizenship certificate. There is no oath process, I guess its because he was a child.

Once you walk out of there with the certificate you are done and can go home.  I was in the building for less than 1 hour. fly home.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Thanks MAHALisMAHAL for the information.  USCIS normally waives the oath requirement for children younger than 14 years old.

My daughter will be completing 14 years by Sep 16, 2024. Not sure if  my daughter's interview will be over by that time or not.  If interview doesn't happen before that time, she has to give interview and then oath. Not sure how to prepare for the later scenario.

Any information from persons who had to undergo interview and oath is appreciated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.