GregP

IR2 and Green Card issuance

16 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GregP said:

My question is 

Stepdaughter arrived in US on September 22 2023 with her mother (petitioner and naturalized citizen)

what is average time for delivery of the actual green card 

As above, it varies. Ours were about a month after arrival. But you can track it using the receipt number from when she paid the fee, that will tell you when it's been produced and give you tracking details when it's been sent too. 

1 hour ago, GregP said:

Thanks for the replies 

No worries. I'm surprised it hasn't been sent yet if it's been over 2 months, but it can take up to 90 days. Have you checked the status, what does that say?

My daughter has just had to have her biometrics redone as the rest of us got our GC's within a month of arrival, but hers never turned up. Her status was stuck on 'card is being produced' for ages until I enquired and then we got a notice giving her a new appointment for biometrics.

Edited by appleblossom

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
8 hours ago, GregP said:

My question is 

Stepdaughter arrived in US on September 22 2023 with her mother (petitioner and naturalized citizen)

what is average time for delivery of the actual green card 

How old is step-daugther?

I will add one thing to help with your anxieties: The stamped IR2 immigrant visa she entered on serves as evidence of permanent resident status for 1 year. In the meantime she can use that for anything that would otherwise require a green card (international travel, getting a driver's license, getting a SSN, working, etc).

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

11 minutes ago, GregP said:

Green Card has been located. It was returned to issuing agency due to a post officer error 

The card will be sent to another location for collection 

Thanks for the replies 

That's good. I'd still suggest you answer @nastra30's question about your step daughter's age, as it may be very pertinent - there's a chance she's now a USC. 

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 hours ago, nastra30 said:

How old is step-daugther?

She is 15

14 when processing started in February of 2022. Visa issued August of 2023 in Manila 

interview was maybe 5 minutes 

name 

address in US

is that your mother with you

8 minutes ago, GregP said:

She is 15

14 when processing started in February of 2022. Visa issued August of 2023 in Manila 

interview was maybe 5 minutes 

name 

address in US

is that your mother with you

Sounds like she's now a US citizen then, so no need for her green card at all.  https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-h-chapter-4

Edited by appleblossom

Timeline
1 minute ago, appleblossom said:

Sounds like she's now a US citizen then, so no need for her green card at all.  https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-h-chapter-4

We primarily live in Davao City Philippines 

I travel back to the US occasionally for business and her and Mom accompany me

as we are not full time US residents. She was issued the green card 

plan is for her to complete her high school in Philippines then attend Nursing College in the USA 

needed to get the green card/ dual citizenship before age of 18

Just now, GregP said:

We primarily live in Davao City Philippines 

I travel back to the US occasionally for business and her and Mom accompany me

as we are not full time US residents. She was issued the green card 

plan is for her to complete her high school in Philippines then attend Nursing College in the USA 

needed to get the green card/ dual citizenship before age of 18

Ah, I see. That's a shame. 

If she's not a full-time US resident and plans to finish schooling in the Philippines over the next few years then presumably you're aware she's risking her LPR status?  Not sure it was really worth if if that's the plan, you may have been better off waiting to apply until she was actually ready to move. 

Timeline
Just now, appleblossom said:

Ah, I see. That's a shame. 

If she's not a full-time US resident and plans to finish schooling in the Philippines over the next few years then presumably you're aware she's risking her LPR status?  Not sure it was really worth if if that's the plan, you may have been better off waiting to apply until she was actually ready to move. 

You are allowed to stay out for up to 1 year 

you can also file for a re entry permit ( up to a 2 year absence)

or a SB-1 for absence over 2 years 

9 minutes ago, GregP said:

You are allowed to stay out for up to 1 year 

you can also file for a re entry permit ( up to a 2 year absence)

or a SB-1 for absence over 2 years 

I know, my own teenage daughter will be doing the same when she goes to college abroad next year. But she'll have lived in the US for 18 months on her green card by then to establish herself, she'll have a part-time job here to come back to in school vacations, she'll be filing tax returns, she'll have a driving licence, she'll have a bank account, her name is on the house lease and all her family will be here. Etc, etc. 

Just not sure how many ties a 14 year old can have to prove she's not abandoned her US residency, particularly without parents there! But good luck to you/her. 

Edited by appleblossom

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.