Jump to content
H Suarez

Best Visa for Parents of U.S. Citizen


3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico

It’s been a while since I have been on this forum, but I’m coming to you once again for advice on a visa application, this time for my in-laws. When my husband received his residency, we filed for tourist visas for his parents and a sister that has Down’s syndrome. They went for their interviews in Juarez and were not approved, reason sited was 214(b), due to a lack in strength of ties to their home country presented.

I contacted an attorney and she said it would be very difficult to get a tourist visa for them and that the best option for bringing them to the U.S. would be to file for residency for them after he became a U.S. citizen. To me that seemed crazy, but from what I have researched so far, it appears that may be true.

So, my husband is now a citizen and we’re wanting to bring his parents to the U.S. to visit. What is the best process? Their goal really isn’t to live in the U.S. but we wouldn’t be opposed to residency if that is the best option. Thanks in advance for your help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales

You can file an I 130 to obtain an Ir5 so they can immigrate.


If they then decide not to stay and surrender their GC, file an I 407, it seems to help with any subsequent B application.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...