CL1125

I-864 Digitally Signing with (Stylus)

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am filling out the I-864 and like others noticed the electronic form has many limitations such as not being able to write “N/A” in fields or “none” in numerical fields as instructed. It also apparently needs to be signed with your real signature, not the digital one where you just type your name like on other PDF forms (such as when E-filing taxes). Instead of printing, physically writing in/signing and re-scanning the form, has anyone had any experience with filling out the form with a digital pen/stylus (you are essentially drawing on the pdf)? This way it would show your actual handwriting and signature.  Using the first method since it is scanned im not sure someone would even be able to tell the difference between the two? Wondering if NVC would allow this. Any help greatly appreciated!

3 minutes ago, CL1125 said:

Instead of printing, physically writing in/signing and re-scanning the form, has anyone had any experience with filling out the form with a digital pen/stylus (you are essentially drawing on the pdf)? 

I see low reward and high risk. Just print and sign. You don't your case to have delays because of this.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
15 hours ago, ShazShaz said:

We used adobe sign for both I-130 and I-864. 

Still low reward and high risk.  I would never advise trying that.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

19 hours ago, CL1125 said:

Hello,

I am filling out the I-864 and like others noticed the electronic form has many limitations such as not being able to write “N/A” in fields or “none” in numerical fields as instructed. It also apparently needs to be signed with your real signature, not the digital one where you just type your name like on other PDF forms (such as when E-filing taxes). Instead of printing, physically writing in/signing and re-scanning the form, has anyone had any experience with filling out the form with a digital pen/stylus (you are essentially drawing on the pdf)? This way it would show your actual handwriting and signature.  Using the first method since it is scanned im not sure someone would even be able to tell the difference between the two? Wondering if NVC would allow this. Any help greatly appreciated!

You will be fine signing electronically. We didn’t print and sign ours, just signed electronically like you mentioned..I actually did it with my finger, not even a stylus, with adobe sign …we didn’t have any problems and it was accepted on the first submittal. DQ back in end of August this year, visa issued last month. 

1 hour ago, BLC said:

You will be fine signing electronically. We didn’t print and sign ours, just signed electronically like you mentioned..I actually did it with my finger, not even a stylus, with adobe sign …we didn’t have any problems and it was accepted on the first submittal. DQ back in end of August this year, visa issued last month. 

Please read instructions:

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/all-forms/tips-for-filing-form-i-864-affidavit-of-support-under-section-213a-of-the-ina

"6a-b.You must sign and date the form in black ink. The signature needs to be original (not a photocopy)."

Essentially, you did not follow the instructions. You got lucky nobody at NVC flagged it. Technically, anybody signing with stylus / digitally is violating instructions, which can result in form being rejected. I wouldn't risk it for such a low reward (2 mins to print, sign with black ink and scan the document).

Update: I researched more and found this announcement:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/visas-news-archive/20161228_ink-signature-no-longer-required-on-affidavits-of-support.html

It looks like wet ink is no longer enforced and wouldn't result in rejection.

Taking my words back @BLC!

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
18 hours ago, OldUser said:

Update: I researched more and found this announcement:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/visas-news-archive/20161228_ink-signature-no-longer-required-on-affidavits-of-support.html

It looks like wet ink is no longer enforced and wouldn't result in rejection.

Taking my words back @BLC!

Officers, often forget or are simply not aware of changes in requirements.  We see requests for things from both USCIS and NVC, that are definitely not required, like signatures on I-130a forms from USCIS, or W2 forms to go with tax return transcripts.  Still low reward, and high risk, in my opinion.  

No longer supposed to be required, does not mean you won't face delays because of government employee mistakes.  It is always my advice to make it as difficult as possible for the employee to screw up.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

Officers, often forget or are simply not aware of changes in requirements.  We see requests for things from both USCIS and NVC, that are definitely not required, like signatures on I-130a forms from USCIS, or W2 forms to go with tax return transcripts.  Still low reward, and high risk, in my opinion.  

No longer supposed to be required, does not mean you won't face delays because of government employee mistakes.  It is always my advice to make it as difficult as possible for the employee to screw up.

Cannot agree more

On 11/25/2023 at 10:19 AM, BLC said:

Interesting to hear. Congrats!

Thanks for all the responses. Another question, I will be submitting my tax return from 2022 as the ID.me/IRS site to request tax transcripts has locked me out and has poor support. I use TaxAct to prepare my returns, is a downloaded return OK to submit? These are just copies and are unsigned. Or do I need to sign it?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.