Rosalea

RFIE for I-864 - but we had included everything

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi everyone! I just got an RFIE for the I-864 on my I-485 application - apparently they need a new form even though I had sent the entire form which was signed and included (what I'm pretty sure is) the correct household size (2).

image.png.324f2431253d9ff12df763bec6432936.png

It was also the correct and only version USCIS has on their website so it can't be that it was an out of date version. Has anyone else experienced a similar RFIE? I'm gonna resent it all and maybe add payslips (and W2's? idk) for extra evidence. Just confused about if maybe they just lost the I-864 from my file haha. Just really hoping that if I resent it all that it'll suffice and it wasn't somehow something else we got wrong in the filing process that caused this.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Rosalea said:

Hi everyone! I just got an RFIE for the I-864 on my I-485 application - apparently they need a new form even though I had sent the entire form which was signed and included (what I'm pretty sure is) the correct household size (2).

It was also the correct and only version USCIS has on their website so it can't be that it was an out of date version. Has anyone else experienced a similar RFIE? I'm gonna resent it all and maybe add payslips (and W2's? idk) for extra evidence. Just confused about if maybe they just lost the I-864 from my file haha. Just really hoping that if I resent it all that it'll suffice and it wasn't somehow something else we got wrong in the filing process that caused this.

I can also see on my USCIS account under documents that they scanned the (signed!) I-864 which clearly includes the SSN and household size - how weird!? Anyone know why this might've happened! I hope if I just send it again the same thing won't happen haha.

15 hours ago, Rosalea said:

It was also the correct and only version USCIS has on their website so it can't be that it was an out of date version. Has anyone else experienced a similar RFIE?

Lots of members is an understatement. I864 is the most commonly misfiled form out of everything I've seen. I'd say there is a 50% success rate tbh.

I'm gonna resent it all

Mentioning what you sent or a copy of your coverletter showing what you sent with your I864 will be helpful.

RFEs are not sent for no reason and although generic, sending everything that you already sent won't solve your problem.

and maybe add payslips

6 month of paystubs are the recommended dose WHEN YOU submit a current Employment Verification Letter AND use the amount listed on it as your current income. Did you submit one AND use that amount?

(and W2's? idk)

Employment statements (W2s) are REQUIRED if you submit a COMPLETE copy of your federal tax return (all pages and schedules) but SHOULD NOT be submitted if you submitted a Return Transcript INSTEAD.

for extra evidence. Just confused about if maybe they just lost the I-864 from my file haha.

Highly doubtful. 

Just really hoping that if I resent it all that it'll suffice and it wasn't somehow something else we got wrong in the filing process that caused this.

It's never sent for no reason. There is something wrong with your form and/or HOW you filled it out and/or the documents you provided.

14 hours ago, Rosalea said:

I can also see on my USCIS account under documents that they scanned the (signed!) I-864 which clearly includes the SSN and household size - how weird!? Anyone know why this might've happened!

As above, RFEs are generic. Everyone gets the same one.

It lists all of the possible errors for everyone. Doesn't mean you made all of them but you did AT LEAST make one of them so they cannot proceed any further.

14 hours ago, Rosalea said:

I hope if I just send it again the same thing won't happen haha.

Lots of threads on the topic to research. Search under "I864 RFE." Then pull out your paper work and deduce your error(s).

Timeline
7 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Lots of members is an understatement. I864 is the most commonly misfiled form out of everything I've seen. I'd say there is a 50% success rate tbh.

Mentioning what you sent or a copy of your coverletter showing what you sent with your I864 will be helpful.

RFEs are not sent for no reason and although generic, sending everything that you already sent won't solve your problem.

6 month of paystubs are the recommended dose WHEN YOU submit a current Employment Verification Letter AND use the amount listed on it as your current income. Did you submit one AND use that amount?

Employment statements (W2s) are REQUIRED if you submit a COMPLETE copy of your federal tax return (all pages and schedules) but SHOULD NOT be submitted if you submitted a Return Transcript INSTEAD.

Highly doubtful. 

It's never sent for no reason. There is something wrong with your form and/or HOW you filled it out and/or the documents you provided.

It lists all of the possible errors for everyone. Doesn't mean you made all of them but you did AT LEAST make one of them so they cannot proceed any further.

Lots of threads on the topic to research. Search under "I864 RFE." Then pull out your paper work and deduce your error(s).

Thank you! And yeah - I had asked on Visajourney if a tax transcript AND W2's were necessary and I was told that just the transcript was fine. The transcript was included so now I'm kinda confused about why USCIS is now asking for W2's (I don't fully understand it, I'm not the USC).

And nah, the payslips weren't included (only an employment letter) so I think I definitely needed that too!

Timeline

Also (and my apologies if this is a dumb question), is a tax return transcript and 1099 different things?

Again, I'm not the US citizen so this isn't exactly my realm but I wanna understand is as best I can so I gather everything correctly.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Highly doubtful. 

What I included was:

• I-864 form (fully filled out, signed, with US citizen SSN and what I thought was the correct household size, which was 2
  • US citizen birth certificate
  • Last 3 years of tax return transcripts
  • Signed employment offer letter that shows hourly pay and start date

14 minutes ago, Rosalea said:

Also (and my apologies if this is a dumb question), is a tax return transcript and 1099 different things?

Again, I'm not the US citizen so this isn't exactly my realm but I wanna understand is as best I can so I gather everything correctly.

Yes, 1099 and tax return transcripts are different things. Tax return transcripts can be downloaded from IRS website.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
Just now, OldUser said:

Not the same. Tax return transcripts can be downloaded from IRS website.

Ok so should I include the transcripts and 1099(s)?

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Rosalea said:

Ok so should I include the transcripts and 1099(s)?

It wouldn't hurt especially since this is an RFE.

The tax transcript should contain all of the totals related to your W-2s, 1099s, etc.  That doesn't mean they can't ask for the specific forms.

The last time I did one (for my mother-in-law), I included my W-2, my wife's W-2, two 1099-Bs, a 1099-DIV, and a 1099-INT since I had them.  It was probably too much but I'd rather send too much than not enough.  I didn't send the 1099-SAs (distribution from a Health Savings Account) because it doesn't show income per se.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

3 hours ago, Rosalea said:

Thank you! And yeah - I had asked on Visajourney if a tax transcript AND W2's were necessary and I was told that just the transcript was fine.

They are.

The transcript was included so now I'm kinda confused about why USCIS is now asking for W2's (I don't fully understand it, I'm not the USC).

Because it's a generic RFE. Not everything applies to you and its up to you to figure out what does based on your individual financial situation.

And nah, the payslips weren't included (only an employment letter) so I think I definitely needed that too!

You will IF you input the ANNUAL income listed on your EVL as your current income on the I864. If you did not, then you don't need 6 months paystubs because that info is irrelevant because you didn't use it on your form. Financial documents SUPPORT the amounts you entered on the form. You just don't submit evidence without relevance.

1099 is for SELF EMPLOYED individuals. If your sponsor is SE, you likely have more problems than you think with correctness of your form answers. Clarify and we can help more.

What I included was:

• I-864 form (fully filled out, signed, with US citizen SSN and what I thought was the correct household size, which was 2
  • US citizen birth certificate
  • Last 3 years of tax return transcripts
  • Signed employment offer letter that shows hourly pay and start date

Again, clarify directly by answering if you used tax reported income from the RT or the income from the EVL (which should have been displayed on your EVL as annual and not hourly).

Timeline
On 11/22/2023 at 7:05 PM, K1visaHopeful said:

They are.

Because it's a generic RFE. Not everything applies to you and its up to you to figure out what does based on your individual financial situation.

You will IF you input the ANNUAL income listed on your EVL as your current income on the I864. If you did not, then you don't need 6 months paystubs because that info is irrelevant because you didn't use it on your form. Financial documents SUPPORT the amounts you entered on the form. You just don't submit evidence without relevance.

1099 is for SELF EMPLOYED individuals. If your sponsor is SE, you likely have more problems than you think with correctness of your form answers. Clarify and we can help more.

Again, clarify directly by answering if you used tax reported income from the RT or the income from the EVL (which should have been displayed on your EVL as annual and not hourly).

This is really thorough, thank you so much! I think omitting the payslips was the biggest error here.

Also I'm not sure what type of tax reported income was used since my husband did it - I think his employment offer letter says an hourly amount if that indicates anything? I unfortunately don't know.

I imagine they require almost the same supporting documents as the I-134 (which I submitted earlier in this process at the embassy stage), and with that I had included the same stuff as this time, but this time I didn't include payslips. So I think that's the main thing I needa include!

• 3 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.