Devil Scorpio

Recently (Nov 2023) got a J1 visa, but married to a US Citizen in Sept 2023

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I hope you all are doing well.

I am a Pakistani national, who applied for a J1 visa in April 2023. Unfortunately, the case was not approved during the interview and was sent for administrative processing. The case was just approved in the first week of November. The J1 visa issued to me is not subject to the two-year home residency rule.

In February, I met my spouse (US citizen) in South Korea, where I was pursuing my master's. She was there for a job. We both left South Korea by the end of February for our next destination. She went back to the States, while I started a job in Oman. However, we were still connected over the phone and social media. She visited me in Oman in May, after which we decided to involve our families. And in the third week of September, she and her family arrived in Pakistan and we got married. Soon, after our marriage I registered our marriage and her as my wife in our national database. I also verified our marriage certificate, family registration certificate and marriage contracts from the MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS OF PAKISTAN. She is also holding a PAKISTAN-ORIGIN-CARD (POC) on my behalf as her husband to exempt from visa restrictions to live in Pakistan.

Now, with the J1 confirmed, we intend to come to the States, so that I can join the workplace and complete my contract under J1 rules and regulations. Meanwhile, we are also looking to apply for a MARRIAGE-BASED GREEN CARD from within the States during my stay, but are confused as there is a lot on the internet about the intent to fraud if entering in US with a non-immigrant visa to convert to a Green Card if already married to a US citizen. 

"We need advice and suggestions on this issue and want to know from your knowledge and experiences what are our options in this current situation. Can we file the I-130 and I-485 from within States or not? And if yes then what things should we keep in mind."

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Edited by Noman Raza Sial

6 minutes ago, Noman Raza Sial said:

Hello, I hope you all are doing well.

I am a Pakistani national, who applied for a J1 visa in April 2023. Unfortunately, the case was not approved during the interview and was sent for administrative processing. The case was just approved in the first week of November. The J1 visa issued to me is not subject to the two-year home residency rule.

In February, I met my spouse (US citizen) in South Korea, where I was pursuing my master's. She was there for a job. We both left South Korea by the end of February for our next destination. She went back to the States, while I started a job in Oman. However, we were still connected over the phone and social media. She visited me in Oman in May, after which we decided to involve our families. And in the third week of September, she and her family arrived in Pakistan and we got married. Soon, after our marriage I registered our marriage and her as my wife in our national database. I also verified our marriage certificate, family registration certificate and marriage contracts from the MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS OF PAKISTAN. She is also holding a PAKISTAN-ORIGIN-CARD (POC) on my behalf as her husband to exempt from visa restrictions to live in Pakistan.

Now, with the J1 confirmed, we intend to come to the States, so that I can join the workplace and complete my contract under J1 rules and regulations. Meanwhile, we are also looking to apply for a MARRIAGE-BASED GREEN CARD from within the States during my stay, but are confused as there is a lot on the internet about the intent to fraud if entering in US with a non-immigrant visa to convert to a Green Card if already married to a US citizen. 

"We need advice and suggestions on this issue and want to know from your knowledge and experiences what are our options in this current situation. Can we file the I-130 and I-485 from within States or not? And if yes then what things should we keep in mind."

Thank you.

Kind regards,

No, you cannot.  It is immigration fraud to seek admission to the US on a nonimmigrant visa with the intent to adjust status.

She will need to petition you for an immigrant visa.

4 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

No, you cannot.  It is immigration fraud to seek admission to the US on a nonimmigrant visa with the intent to adjust status.

She will need to petition you for an immigrant visa.

But I applied for J1 even before our marriage, will it still be considered a fraud?

5 hours ago, Devil Scorpio said:

But I applied for J1 even before our marriage, will it still be considered a fraud?

Applying for a visa and seeking admission are two different things - the latter would be when you enter the US on your visa. 

18 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

Applying for a visa and seeking admission are two different things - the latter would be when you enter the US on your visa. 

Yes, I understand. But I have to attend the workplace I have been offered as an exchange visitor. Are you recommending me not to attend the workplace or apply from outside once I am back from my visitor position.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, Devil Scorpio said:

Yes, I understand. But I have to attend the workplace I have been offered as an exchange visitor. Are you recommending me not to attend the workplace or apply from outside once I am back from my visitor position.

No one is saying you shouldn’t come on a J1. What we’re telling you is that you shouldn’t come on that J1 with the intent of adjusting and staying. 
come with the J1, you can even get married here, go back and apply for a CR1 visa in your home country 

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

11 hours ago, Devil Scorpio said:

The fraud will be when you arrive on the J-1 (a nonimmigrant visa) with the intention of adjusting status and staying.  

You might want to check with an attorney. Yes ita fraud to come here with the intend to adjust status but you applied for the visa prior so  the intend might be hard to proof. However ifts probbaly going to be less problematic if you apply from your country after you come back from the J1 commitment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.