ah-no

Question about minimum income requirements (getting mixed messages)

17 posts in this topic

Hello all! I well exceeded the income requirements in 2022, but not 2021, nor 2020. I also have 6+ months of paystubs in 2023 showing that I far exceed the requirements again. 

I'm filling the I-864EZ form, but I'm realizing now that some are saying you need ALL 3 YEARS to be above the poverty guidelines.

As a secondary question, I'm using my tax transcript and inputting the line that says "TOTAL INCOME" there, since that's precisely what it asks for on the form. Can anyone provide some guidance on the above? If it's helpful, I have quite a bit of savings in a U.S. bank account that I could probably also use, but I would need to scrap the EZ version of the form. 

Thanks!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
11 minutes ago, ah-no said:

Hello all! I well exceeded the income requirements in 2022, but not 2021, nor 2020. I also have 6+ months of paystubs in 2023 showing that I far exceed the requirements again. 

I'm filling the I-864EZ form, but I'm realizing now that some are saying you need ALL 3 YEARS to be above the poverty guidelines.

As a secondary question, I'm using my tax transcript and inputting the line that says "TOTAL INCOME" there, since that's precisely what it asks for on the form. Can anyone provide some guidance on the above? If it's helpful, I have quite a bit of savings in a U.S. bank account that I could probably also use, but I would need to scrap the EZ version of the form. 

Thanks!

You do not need qualifying income for all three years.  It's always safe to use the I-864.  You also only need one recent pay stub.  It's going to show your year to date income anyway.  Your "current income" is the gross for one pay period, time the number of pay periods in a full year.  If you make 1k a week, your income is 50k.  

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

4 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

You do not need qualifying income for all three years.  It's always safe to use the I-864.  You also only need one recent pay stub.  It's going to show your year to date income anyway.  Your "current income" is the gross for one pay period, time the number of pay periods in a full year.  If you make 1k a week, your income is 50k.  

Hello thanks.

I have a pay statement from one of my jobs that shows my YTD income, which already exceeds the threshold, anyway. But I have multiple jobs, and your statement would also apply there with my pay stub from the second one (which alone would exceed the requirements). In other words, I'm not concerned about this year, or 2022, just 2021, and 2020, where I failed to meet the requirements abysmally. 

My question is this -- why do I keep seeing this bit repeated that you MUST meet all 3 years minimum income requirement, again and again?

Since we must trek to Russian then to Greece, then to Germany, the to Warsaw due to my wife's Russian-ness, if the officer decides suddenly I didn't meet it there, that would be quite a pain logistically to return. Is there no official source on this? I can't find that, and it's a bit disheartening, since finding a co-sponsor may not be possible.

Edited by ah-no

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, ah-no said:

Hello thanks.

I have a pay statement from one of my jobs that shows my YTD income, which already exceeds the threshold, anyway. But I have multiple jobs, and your statement would also apply there with my pay stub from the second one (which alone would exceed the requirements). In other words, I'm not concerned about this year, or 2022, just 2021, and 2020, where I failed to meet the requirements abysmally. 

My question is this -- why do I keep seeing this bit repeated that you MUST meet all 3 years minimum income requirement, again and again?

Since we must trek to Russian then to Greece, then to Germany, the to Warsaw due to my wife's Russian-ness, if the officer decides suddenly I didn't meet it there, that would be quite a pain logistically to return. Is there no official source on this? I can't find that, and it's a bit disheartening, since finding a co-sponsor may not be possible.

Where do you “ Keep seeing it”. Not on the official I 864 instructions 

2 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Where do you “ Keep seeing it”. Not on the official I 864 instructions 

I keep seeing it on this forum and on the web. People are reporting you need to have 125% for 3 straight years. The I-864 instruction form does not actually specify anything in terms of timeline, so you are also correct ( it simply refers here: https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p ) but there is still a lack of clarity, and it would be natural to infer you need to meet the 3 year requirement without explicit messaging otherwise. I'm looking for that, if I can find it.

Edited by ah-no

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, ah-no said:

I keep seeing it on this forum and on the web. People are reporting you need to have 125% for 3 straight years. The I-864 instruction form does not actually specify anything in terms of timeline, so you are also correct, it simply refers here: https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

Not by the experience knowledgable

members in this site.  

The final decision is always in the hands of the interviewing officer who looks at the totality of the financial application. But failing to meet the financial level in previous years is not an automatic problem 

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ah-no said:

I keep seeing it on this forum and on the web. People are reporting you need to have 125% for 3 straight years. The I-864 instruction form does not actually specify anything in terms of timeline, so you are also correct ( it simply refers here: https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p ) but there is still a lack of clarity, and it would be natural to infer you need to meet the 3 year requirement without explicit messaging otherwise. I'm looking for that, if I can find it.

Lots of misinformation out there.  I've been clear with you.  Take it to the bank.

Your "current income" is NOT what you've already made this year.  It's what you will make during the next 365 days.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

Lots of misinformation out there.  I've been clear with you.  Take it to the bank.

Your "current income" is NOT what you've already made this year.  It's what you will make during the next 365 days.

Yes, I understand and trust your information as being accurate, and I comprehend the "current income" thing 100%, and it is quite easy to estimate and figure this out from my side. At the same time, I realize that an ####### officer can decide to make my life a living hell, because well, this system already has unforgivingly done so for me and so many others (especially those of us whose interview locations make 0 sense and involve a ton of hardship), so I am trying to clog up any potential problem holes as much as humanly possible.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ah-no said:

Yes, I understand and trust your information as being accurate, and I comprehend the "current income" thing 100%, and it is quite easy to estimate and figure this out from my side. At the same time, I realize that an ####### officer can decide to make my life a living hell, because well, this system already has unforgivingly done so for me and so many others (especially those of us whose interview locations make 0 sense and involve a ton of hardship), so I am trying to clog up any potential problem holes as much as humanly possible.

What you have described is not a potential problem.  Follow the instructions and be accurate.  The need for three years of qualifying income, is only a thing, when the beneficiary will interview in Mumbai, and not always then either.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

What you have described is not a potential problem.  Follow the instructions and be accurate.  The need for three years of qualifying income, is only a thing, when the beneficiary will interview in Mumbai, and not always then either.

Hello, the form is already complete and was completed accurately. I did use I-864EZ. This concern was just a last minute thought I realized. I will give it a shot. I would hope that if, for some reason it was a problem, it'd be an RFE beforehand. Thank you.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, ah-no said:

Hello, the form is already complete and was completed accurately. I did use I-864EZ. This concern was just a last minute thought I realized. I will give it a shot. I would hope that if, for some reason it was a problem, it'd be an RFE beforehand. Thank you.

RFE is a USCIS thing.  Affidavit of support will be dealt with by Dept. of State.  If ultimately you are determined not to qualify, you'll have the opportunity to redo adding liquid assets, or by providing a joint sponsor.  Rather than worrying about ghost issues, why not just present the best possible totality of circumstances up front, with the full form and added assets?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

RFE is a USCIS thing.  Affidavit of support will be dealt with by Dept. of State.  If ultimately you are determined not to qualify, you'll have the opportunity to redo adding liquid assets, or by providing a joint sponsor.  Rather than worrying about ghost issues, why not just present the best possible totality of circumstances up front, with the full form and added assets?

Are you saying to file I-864 and include my bank account information? 

Is there any benefit other than this particular item? I'm not sure what other advantages the "full" form has here, perhaps I need to be enlightened.

(Honestly, I find that form a little confusing, it seems like there are a ton of fields I must leave blank... but it's not a major deal to gather that information as I have cash assets that exceed the poverty requirements for multiple years.)

Timeline
8 minutes ago, ah-no said:

Are you saying to file I-864 and include my bank account information? 

Is there any benefit other than this particular item? I'm not sure what other advantages the "full" form has here, perhaps I need to be enlightened.

(Honestly, I find that form a little confusing, it seems like there are a ton of fields I must leave blank... but it's not a major deal to gather that information as I have cash assets that exceed the poverty requirements for multiple years.)

I just told you the advantage that applies to your situation.  You can add your assets to present a more complete and accurate "totality of circumstances".  Leaving fields blank is another non-issue.  Focus on what's important.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

6 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

I just told you the advantage that applies to your situation.  You can add your assets to present a more complete and accurate "totality of circumstances".  Leaving fields blank is another non-issue.  Focus on what's important.

Thank you for the attempt of clarifying. I'm trying to decipher your words, which were not 100% explicit, from my POV, you'll have to forgive me, I am autistic -- so by "Rather than worrying about ghost issues, why not just present the best possible totality of circumstances up front, with the full form and added assets?" you are indeed trying to communicate, fill out the full I-864 form and use the assets there?

Additionally, am I correct to surmise that the totals entered in the form for the bank account totals would be considered a snapshot, to be taken at the time when the form is submitted?

Timeline
12 minutes ago, ah-no said:

Thank you for the attempt of clarifying. I'm trying to decipher your words, which were not 100% explicit, from my POV, you'll have to forgive me, I am autistic -- so by "Rather than worrying about ghost issues, why not just present the best possible totality of circumstances up front, with the full form and added assets?" you are indeed trying to communicate, fill out the full I-864 form and use the assets there?

Additionally, am I correct to surmise that the totals entered in the form for the bank account totals would be considered a snapshot, to be taken at the time when the form is submitted?

You understand correctly.  Additionally, provide older statements showing the money has been in the account for a few months.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.