AttachedAtTheHip

USCIS Support keep telling us they can't find our receipt number, what should we do?

12 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Me and my wife have been living together and married for two years now in the USA, and have been waiting to hear back from the USCIS since Nov 6th of 2021 (no word from them as of yet.)
She got a new phone number, and needs it changed to sign in to the USCIS website. We sent in a support ticket, asking for a new online access code.
They said : "After careful review, we were unable to generate a new Online Access Code associated with the Receipt Number you have provided. Please ensure you have provided the correct Receipt Number and/or email associated with your case and that the old Online Access Code is not already in use" 

We called and asked a real person on the phone, they said they would put it through to the proper department and we would be contacted in 7 days. Same response. We contacted them again on the 4th of October, same response. We've now been trying to get them to change her phone number since the 4th of September with no luck and continually the same responses. We're now beginning to think that if they can't find her from the receipt number then something must have happened to her application and we're kind of freaking out about it as we've been waiting this long (669 days)…

When we type the receipt number in to the case tracker it still states that the case is under review. 

What should we do in this situation? We have already contacted our state senator in VA and are awaiting a response. We can't try to get in with the old online access code, and we would like no more texts with the OAC to be sent to the wrong person that has the number now. We filled out the online access code form completely correctly, double, triple checked with A numbers and receipt numbers, the lot. 

Thanks!

Not understanding your NEED to have access to your USCIS online account when you can just as easily check your case and have status updates sent by text or email through the website.

Please explain the dire need. 

4 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Not understanding your NEED to have access to your USCIS online account when you can just as easily check your case and have status updates sent by text or email through the website.

Please explain the dire need. 

I can't have them sent through text as the number associated with the account is wrong, and I had tried multiple times to change it. 
My husband gets incredible anxiety when it comes to anything green-card or USCIS related and so he was incredibly worried that I couldn't get in to my account - I wasn't bothered. I try to do these things to ease his mind.
We have submitted another ticket after learning that only one online access code can be granted to one account and are trying another way. 
The email to the state senator was made just to try and get a move on with the case in general - not to get in to my account.
Thanks.

UPDATE: We are trying a new option to get in to the account :) 
I believe only one Online Access Code can be granted per receipt number and so I think ours was being dismissed.
Hopefully this new way will work! 

7 hours ago, AttachedAtTheHip said:

I can't have them sent through text as the number associated with the account is wrong, and I had tried multiple times to change it. 
My husband gets incredible anxiety when it comes to anything green-card or USCIS related and so he was incredibly worried that I couldn't get in to my account - I wasn't bothered. I try to do these things to ease his mind.
We have submitted another ticket after learning that only one online access code can be granted to one account and are trying another way. 
The email to the state senator was made just to try and get a move on with the case in general - not to get in to my account.
Thanks.

I logged in to my USCIS account once when going through the green card process earlier this year, then realised it didn't give me any info that my online status checker didn't, and so never bothered again. I really wouldn't worry about it if you can't get in, you're not missing much!

8 hours ago, AttachedAtTheHip said:

What's wrong with email?

It's the same info.

And same info as if you check yourself on the website. 

Is he unable to manually check that for YOUR case?

8 hours ago, AttachedAtTheHip said:

Teach him how to use the website? 

Create a joint email and create another tracker account so you both get notifications?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Like one of the comment says "why do you have login to your USCIS acct?" - I agree, if you want to check the status of your USCIS petition please go to <<https://egov.uscis.gov/>> put your Receipt number in the field provided for it - you will get the latest update on your petition. You don't need to login anywhere for just checking status of your petition - unless there is something else you have you didn't mention in your concern here. 

Good luck

-sam

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think people are being dismissive. OP should be able to access their account, period. Yes, they can check it externally but maybe they have their own reasons, like uploading evidence. I only received emails and my husband received a mix of emails and text messages so it's important to keep your contact info updated.

You should be able to get the access code. I never received mine in the mail so I made a request and they sent me a new one. 700 days with no word is way too long, something is wrong.

Are you using the right receipt # for the right user? For example, if you are the petitioner, you are only allowed access to the 130. If you are the beneficiary, you are allowed access to the other forms. Perhaps you're trying to get something you're not "allowed" to have.

Edited by MMRF
additional info

Sept 2020 - Met

Oct 2022 - Married

Jan 2023 - Filed AOS packet

Feb 2023 - Biometrics

July 2023 - Greened

20 hours ago, MMRF said:

I think people are being dismissive. OP should be able to access their account, period. Yes, they can check it externally but maybe they have their own reasons, like uploading evidence. I only received emails and my husband received a mix of emails and text messages so it's important to keep your contact info updated.

You should be able to get the access code. I never received mine in the mail so I made a request and they sent me a new one. 700 days with no word is way too long, something is wrong.

Are you using the right receipt # for the right user? For example, if you are the petitioner, you are only allowed access to the 130. If you are the beneficiary, you are allowed access to the other forms. Perhaps you're trying to get something you're not "allowed" to have.

Thank you for this!
The reason we ask is because when I try to sign in to the account, it automatically sends a verification code to my old phone number. It doesn't allow me to get that verification code by e-mail and we would like to get in to the account as one, I find it to be useful and two, I may need it if they ask for further uploaded evidence. 
We're definitely using the right receipt number, though I think I found out where we've went wrong. We were submitting a ticket to get a new online access code whereas only one OAC can be given per account, so actually we should have been selecting "get your verification code another way". :) I think this will definitely help out and it'll all be ok. 
Our state senator got back to us with an information privacy release form today so hopefully we are on to a winner here and he can expedite it for us or even just see what's going on. 
Take care!

Edited by AttachedAtTheHip
Typo

21 hours ago, MMRF said:

I think people are being dismissive. OP should be able to access their account, period. Yes, they can check it externally but maybe they have their own reasons, like uploading evidence.

No way of uploading evidence on my USCIS account. It was literally just another way of checking my status, nothing else useful at all on there. Only CEAC showed me documents etc. 

I agree that nearly 2 years is odd though, I hadn't spotted that before. 

Edited by appleblossom

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, appleblossom said:

No way of uploading evidence on my USCIS account. It was literally just another way of checking my status, nothing else useful at all on there. Only CEAC showed me documents etc. 

Idk, I uploaded additional evidence to mine. 

Sept 2020 - Met

Oct 2022 - Married

Jan 2023 - Filed AOS packet

Feb 2023 - Biometrics

July 2023 - Greened

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Reading thru the whole thread - In my opinion, the problem is stemming from you guys "changing the phone #" - you said it yourself that "(USCIS)  -"it automatically sends a verification code to my old phone number". Now your focus must be to change the phone number from "old to New". Until then this problem will prevail going around in the same cycle again and again. Find a way to change the phone in USCIS record - write a certified mail to them with a receipt. If you don't receive a response - In my opinion, it will be a time to discuss this with a lawyer, sorry. Problem is the new & old phone number. 

Good luck 

sam

Edited by SN@5127

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.