deemabrouk

Adjusting to the New life... and when enough is enough

76 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I will also add.. that NO he has Not struck my kids yet.. but screamed at them about being "troubled in the head" to the 5 year old.. and yelling at my 6 year old cause he doesnt really call him "daddy" yet :blink: there has been others... but those were to first two that came to mind

and the kids Dont run the house... but.. after we have been fighting for hours and hours.. and the kids want lunch... or need to go to bed.. or they just want some attention.. they will come around and try to "butt in" expressing they are hungry or they miss me..

I dont know.. maybe you guys think i am wrong... BUT they cant cook for them selves.. and I dont think being infront of the TV all day cause we are too busy fighting is good..... OR after they are in camp/ school from 8 am to 6 pm.. they then have to stay away from us cause again... we are fighting.

they are too small to just go somewhere by them selves.. or dont really have friends to hang with.. without me being with them.....

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline
I will also add.. that NO he has Not struck my kids yet.. but screamed at them about being "troubled in the head" to the 5 year old.. and yelling at my 6 year old cause he doesnt really call him "daddy" yet :blink: there has been others... but those were to first two that came to mind

and the kids Dont run the house... but.. after we have been fighting for hours and hours.. and the kids want lunch... or need to go to bed.. or they just want some attention.. they will come around and try to "butt in" expressing they are hungry or they miss me..

I dont know.. maybe you guys think i am wrong... BUT they cant cook for them selves.. and I dont think being infront of the TV all day cause we are too busy fighting is good..... OR after they are in camp/ school from 8 am to 6 pm.. they then have to stay away from us cause again... we are fighting.

they are too small to just go somewhere by them selves.. or dont really have friends to hang with.. without me being with them.....

He is expecting them to call him "Daddy"?????????????? #######. He neither sounds like he deserves nor has earned the trust from those kids to get that honour!

Really, I don't know why you applied for his AOS....If he is soooooooooooooo unhappy, why doesn't he do you all a favour and get a fast flight back to Cairo?Sorry, but that's honestly what went through my mind.

(F) to you.

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: Other Timeline
Man, I have been working on getting my fiance here for two years. What I wouldn't do to get him here. Even fighting with him every day seems a whole hell of a lot better then having him on the other side of the world. I would love to have a real relationship where I could fight with him and get irritated by the things he does instead of this ghost email/phone call/inet chat relationship we have to slog through. At least if we are near each other we have a chance. Sheesh, appreciate what you have.

Sheesh, you must have really low standards if this is what is OK with you.

Edited by peezey

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Someone posted this above & it is soooo true........Nothing good comes easy.

Adjusting to a brand new life must be difficult to say the least.......a new country, a new home, a new family, a new partner, a new language, a new everything......

You are both going through major changes and not being able to work is VERY difficult for a man........especially a MENA man.......and I'm not making excuses for any anger or frustration.......but in the same time.....I think it's totally understandable.........I mean, I wouldn't exactly be the most pleasant person to be around either if I was unemployed and unable to find work......

I agree that you should perhaps wait until he gets the EAD and begins working.....it'll give you a deeper insight into his personality because you'll be able to assess whether or not his current behavior is just temporary & due to not being able to provide.

And perhaps take a little bit of alone time to think about why, just a few months ago, you couldn't wait to be with him......think about all the things you loved about him......are those things still there........do you still love those things.......are those things no where to be found........are they covered by frustration????

I really hope things get better for you Dee.

Nothing good comes easy? What kind of b.s. do we tell ourselves to believe this? Lots of good things come easy, it just depends on what your standards are and what you expect for yourself, your life, your kids.

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

Man, I have been working on getting my fiance here for two years. What I wouldn't do to get him here. Even fighting with him every day seems a whole hell of a lot better then having him on the other side of the world. I would love to have a real relationship where I could fight with him and get irritated by the things he does instead of this ghost email/phone call/inet chat relationship we have to slog through. At least if we are near each other we have a chance. Sheesh, appreciate what you have.

Sheesh, you must have really low standards if this is what is OK with you.

Good point. Hopefully, she was just trying to make a point, though.

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

i agree with you all.. the kids DO come first... And he does get jealous over them and that is not cool at all..

I keep on telling him "they are 5 & 6 !!!! " but i guess he doesnt get it..

Cultural difference come into play also.. in America you (for the most part) gotta talk things out with the kids now.. Time outs.. taking things away.. You cant Old School it and beat your kids when they act up. In egypt you could spank/ smack your kids in the street - but NOT here!. AND my kids are used to being in bed at 830 pm.. He justs upset cause I "lock" him in the house.. cause after dinner he wants to "go out".. but then they have to get ready for bath, bed, etc. In egypt it was common to see the kids running around at Midnight.... but not in the states.... or at least in my home. I think to him he thinks I am picking them over him... which is NOT the case.

Even if I have to "interrupt" our talks aka arguments to cook food for them or cause they simply want attention cause we have ben fighting for HOURS.. I am putting THEM before him :blink:

who knows... these past few days things have come to a boiling point :(

we'll see what happens in the near future

thank you guys for your advice and support :thumbs:

I know no other phrase for this except bullshi! He knew you had kids. I don't care if they run around at midnight in Egypt. You talked and chatted for a long time, he knows your schedule.

This guy is a selfish brat and he clearly has no intention of changing.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm just so sorry for you. The time of adjustment is long and just as difficult as the visa process. While not experiencing the exact same things as you, I do know there are so many issues we just don't think about beforehand....lost in the euphoria of an approved visa.

It sounds like he is being very selfish and acting spoiled right now. He MUST grow up and get over some of that if you are going to work anything out. I would not dare think of my kids calling Andre "daddy" cause he isn't and they have a father of their own. Luckily, my kids adore Andre and vice versa and they have a great step-relationship. If he gives them some time, I think you could one day you could say the same.

If you want my honest opinion, you have to worry about yourself and your kids. As you said, they are small and need you. He is not. He is a man. And, I think he needs to start acting like one.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Dee, you aren't wrong thinking the kids need time and they shouldn't be around all that fighting. They don't deserve it, and what is it solving anyway?

He is being an absolute jerk. There is really no other way to say it. The kids really need to be away from him.

Timeline

He is expecting them to call him "Daddy"?????????????? #######. He neither sounds like he deserves nor has earned the trust from those kids to get that honour!

Really, I don't know why you applied for his AOS....If he is soooooooooooooo unhappy, why doesn't he do you all a favour and get a fast flight back to Cairo?Sorry, but that's honestly what went through my mind.

(F) to you.

well too be honest.. I never thought his behavior would stay like this past the first week, 2nd week, third week.. Now going onto the 4th week... And I wanted to send it in before the price increase..

Everyone warned me it would be a bumpy ride.. So i thought the first week or two would be it.. But I dont see ANY change in the pattern of behavior

I am thankful that Yesterday we had a 5 HOUR session with a religious leader... I am trying to see if this will pull through.. BUT if things stay the same for much longer.. well... I cant live in a home like this..

I wrote about this is another thread... but our Imam gives us One week for ANY sign of change... to see if there is ANY chance for our future

Edited by deemabrouk

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

Any more than this...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Good luck, Dee. I really hope things turn around and he starts being a good husband again.

4/15/06- Visa in hand!!!

4/21/06 Arrival in U.S.

5/11/06 Legal Marriage

11/4/06 Wedding

AOS

6/12/06 AOS, EAD, and AP papers sent off

6/26/06 NOA1 Date

7/17/06 Biometrics done

8/04/06 Case transferred to CSC

8/8/06 Case received at CSC

9/21/06 Greencard received!!!!

8/31/09 Naturalization- Done with USCIS

Dee...

It doesn't sound like you are angry about what I wrote. I hope not because I surely didn't want that to happen. Like you, I brought my husband into a 'ready made' family. There are some big differences - I have one child compared to your two, and my son was 16 when Wes arrived. But it was a ready-made family nonetheless.

I've had trouble 'balancing' the needs of my son with the return of a man to the household. I never wanted my husband to feel that my sons needs outweighed those of the entire household. As single mothers, I think we do tend to sort of 'disappear' as people - we focus on our kids. I have had to remind myself often that now we are a FAMILY and one person can't have dominion. IMO that includes the man - he doesn't need to be 'ruling the roost' anymore than kids need to 'running' it. One for all and all for one makes a happy household - at least in my book.

I know nothing about the family dynamic in the Middle East. Perhaps the male is the dominant force in the household and that is part of your husband's problem. Are there cultural issues like that at play? Maybe I'm wrong.

I often muse to a very understanding VJ friend of mine that you ladies with ME husbands probably have a rougher go of it than the rest of us. Your men come from more traditional backgrounds. Their countries are very different than the US. I don't mean to sound like a moron and certainly don't mean to sound bigoted. I merely mean to suggest that the US wife is probably in for more confusion than the US wives of western European men. And the ME husband will need to work harder at adapting and being flexible than a European man might.

No man should expect to be called 'Daddy' by another man's children. I hope your Iman explained that to him. You state that you and your husband do have some 'alone' time, and it sounds like its regularly scheduled. Your husband - if he is going to be a 'father' needs to understand that you are trying to BALANCE.

In my opinion, he should be trying to give you credit for that, rather than demanding more.

I hope you see some improvement soon. I've had this thread on my mind for 36 hours now. I really hope things get better.

Becca

Timeline
Dee...

It doesn't sound like you are angry about what I wrote. I hope not because I surely didn't want that to happen. Like you, I brought my husband into a 'ready made' family. There are some big differences - I have one child compared to your two, and my son was 16 when Wes arrived. But it was a ready-made family nonetheless.

I've had trouble 'balancing' the needs of my son with the return of a man to the household. I never wanted my husband to feel that my sons needs outweighed those of the entire household. As single mothers, I think we do tend to sort of 'disappear' as people - we focus on our kids. I have had to remind myself often that now we are a FAMILY and one person can't have dominion. IMO that includes the man - he doesn't need to be 'ruling the roost' anymore than kids need to 'running' it. One for all and all for one makes a happy household - at least in my book.

I know nothing about the family dynamic in the Middle East. Perhaps the male is the dominant force in the household and that is part of your husband's problem. Are there cultural issues like that at play? Maybe I'm wrong.

I often muse to a very understanding VJ friend of mine that you ladies with ME husbands probably have a rougher go of it than the rest of us. Your men come from more traditional backgrounds. Their countries are very different than the US. I don't mean to sound like a moron and certainly don't mean to sound bigoted. I merely mean to suggest that the US wife is probably in for more confusion than the US wives of western European men. And the ME husband will need to work harder at adapting and being flexible than a European man might.

No man should expect to be called 'Daddy' by another man's children. I hope your Iman explained that to him. You state that you and your husband do have some 'alone' time, and it sounds like its regularly scheduled. Your husband - if he is going to be a 'father' needs to understand that you are trying to BALANCE.

In my opinion, he should be trying to give you credit for that, rather than demanding more.

I hope you see some improvement soon. I've had this thread on my mind for 36 hours now. I really hope things get better.

Becca

thank you :) I was not offended BUT felt I need to clarify alittle more...

and the thing with my sons.. and the calling Daddy thing is that my ex has been Gone from the beginning.. so the kids NEVER had a male in the house.. It was just me.. solo.. 100%. I left my ex cause of his abuse.. and vowed to never put my kids in a abusive home.. They have always wanted a "daddy" BUT my oldest has his reservations.. which is COMPLETELY normal.. I never asked that they called him daddy.. But my youngest has craved for one ever since he found out what one was :(

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

Any more than this...

Filed: Timeline

Dee, there's a big difference to a step family dynamic when the kids are being bratty and going through that 'teen' thing....but 5 and 6? If your children are locking the doors in fear of him, I think you already know what the right thing to do is. I felt sick when I read you say 'he hasn't hit the kids yet'

yes, tough oh little one under normal adjustments....but this kind of verbal abuse is beyond that scope. This is not just chalked up to your husband being a 'brat' or anything else....he is probably mentally harming your children, and they are at too young an age to help themselves.

If you want to subject yourself to that, that's your choice...but please, for the sake of your children....get them away from him.

Dee,

You sound like a very strong lady who is not going to allow your kids to put up with needless #######! I agree that we should put children first, we brought them into this world and they are our responsibility ofcourse they will gain responsibility once they mature! What they go through now WILL affect them later in life, LisaD is right when she mentioned your hubby mentally harming them. It sounds to me like you are trying very hard to balance things and be fair. Probably more fair to hubby at the moment but that is understandable as you are trying your best to help him adjust

My advice and ofcourse it is only advice, would be to put your foot down now and tell hubby he has to agree NEVER to argue or raise in voice in front of the children again. He has only just got here, they are too young to understand an adults frustrations! Yes he has frustrations and that I can understand but he has to learn to be patient and take one day at a time. He needs to occupy his mind with positive thoughts until he is allowed to "follow his dreams" Make him do jobs around the house, tell him to grow up and stop acting like a spoilt brat. Your working your ### off to keep the household going, and he is not being at all fair to you.

I admire you and I hope things work out, I truly do. Another thing when my kids were little they had to put up with my ex, he was mentally abusive in front of them,not physically, but believe me it affected them. We talk about it to this day and I feel guilty that I let them go through that. So glad you can see what is happening now and yes the kids do come first.

best wishes

Margy

Posted 129f to VERMONT 4th March 2004.

Recieved first NOAL 8th March 2004.

NOA2 dated 23rd April 2004.

Recieved packet 3, 13th May 2004.

Hoping for an August Interview!

Court hearing for permission to take children 2nd August!

Interview Date August 5th!

Got visas,Yessssssssssss!

Fly out the 16th August to be with my lovely John.

Married October 30th, 2004!

Posted off AOS , and AP on the 13th November 2004.

Now more waitng begins............................

NOAs for 1-485,>,AP recieved 25th Nov,2004 dated 19th Nov,2004.

Biometrics/fingerprints appointment made for 22 December 2004.

AP approved on the 5th Jan 2005.

EAD approved on the 7th Jan 2005.

recieved on the 13th Jan 2005.

AP recieved on the 14th Jan 2005.

Passed driving test on the 2nd Feb,2005!

AOS interview date July 2005!

AOS Approved!!!!

April 25th 2007 Vermont recieve paperwork for I-751

Refiled June 26th

Card ordered Dec 18th 2007

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.