edgarh1992

US Citizen Sponsoring Japanese tourist Visa Application?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello,

Me (US citizen) and my wife (Philippines citizen) are currently in a long distance relationship and I am located in the US,she in the Philippines. We want visit Japan in Spring while we wait for the processing of our US visa application. 

As I understand all Filipino residents need to submit an application to the Japanese embassy for a tourist visa, which includes proof of income, tax returns, and bank statements.

How can I best support this application process for my wife and what is the process of being a guarantor as her husband? We got married out of the country, so does providing that marriage certificate and a couple of my US based bank statements suffice?  

She is currently unemployed and transitioning her career and studying. I support her in that time. How can I best prove that she is capable of participating in this trip ( I make enough to support both of us because I have a well paying job). Can she submit my bank statements to the agency that will help her with the process? Can I simply right a letter explaining the situation? 

Has anyone else gone through this process? Any help would be appreciated!

Timeline

I wanted to extend this question for the South Korea application process. If it all, we want to keep our options open and wouldn't mind doing South Korea if the process is easier.

Edited by edgarh1992

My wife got both Japanese and Korean visas before we were married.  It is not simple but those are both very achievable visas for Filipino passports.  I think with an American husband she will have no problems.

Both countries only accept visa applications through designated travel agencies in the Philippines.  You do not deal directly with the embassy and there are no interviews.  It's mainly just a big huge paperwork exercise.  Japan would generally start a a Filipino with a 15 day single entry visa.  Korea a 30 day single entry visa.  They may issue multiple entry visas and longer visits on subsequent trips.

When I'm in my office tomorrow I'll see if any of the paperwork we submitted would be useful as templates.  Japan wants a detailed trip itinerary etc.  

Also beware.  Japanese apparently really hate American sized paper. 🤣 Everything must be strictly A4 size paper.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, top_secret said:

My wife got both Japanese and Korean visas before we were married.  It is not simple but those are both very achievable visas for Filipino passports.  I think with an American husband she will have no problems.

Both countries only accept visa applications through designated travel agencies in the Philippines.  You do not deal directly with the embassy and there are no interviews.  It's mainly just a big huge paperwork exercise.  Japan would generally start a a Filipino with a 15 day single entry visa.  Korea a 30 day single entry visa.  They may issue multiple entry visas and longer visits on subsequent trips.

When I'm in my office tomorrow I'll see if any of the paperwork we submitted would be useful as templates.  Japan wants a detailed trip itinerary etc.  

Also beware.  Japanese apparently really hate American sized paper. 🤣 Everything must be strictly A4 size paper.

Thank you, that would be helpful. I also realized, because its the Japanese embassy, their paper work is a bit intense. I would appreciate if you could share a template of what you provided the agency! I'm in California have been to Japan multiple times. Would love to go there with my wife. 

Another question, do you recall which agency you used at the time (for SK or Japan). I am open to applying for two visas (at seperate times incase one gets rejected), to keep our options open. 

On 10/8/2023 at 2:15 PM, edgarh1992 said:

we want to keep our options open and wouldn't mind doing South Korea if the process is easier.

How about including visa-free countries in your travel options?  For example, Singapore and Costa Rica are visa-free for Filipinos.  If your wife is not already an international traveler, adding stamps to her passport would bolster her future visa application to Japan or South Korea.

On 10/8/2023 at 2:00 PM, edgarh1992 said:

She is currently unemployed and transitioning her career and studying. I support her in that time. How can I best prove that she is capable of participating in this trip ( I make enough to support both of us because I have a well paying job). Can she submit my bank statements to the agency that will help her with the process? Can I simply right a letter explaining the situation?

An explanation letter is not necessary, though if you want to submit one, it wouldn't hurt.  It would be clear from the visa application form that your wife is a student, she is married to a USC, you are sponsoring her, and you have a job.  As supporting evidence to the guarantor info in the form, your wife should submit to the visa agency: a copy of your marriage certificate, your recent pay stubs, and your bank statements.

I was unemployed when I applied for a Japanese tourist visa, so I submitted a letter with my application.  Unlike your wife, I was single, self-sponsored, and not a student.  In the letter, I explained my lack of formal employment, details about my financial capacity, and the countries I visited before.  I was granted a 30-day multiple-entry visa.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Chancy said:

How about including visa-free countries in your travel options?  For example, Singapore and Costa Rica are visa-free for Filipinos.  If your wife is not already an international traveler, adding stamps to her passport would bolster her future visa application to Japan or South Korea.

An explanation letter is not necessary, though if you want to submit one, it wouldn't hurt.  It would be clear from the visa application form that your wife is a student, she is married to a USC, you are sponsoring her, and you have a job.  As supporting evidence to the guarantor info in the form, your wife should submit to the visa agency: a copy of your marriage certificate, your recent pay stubs, and your bank statements.

I was unemployed when I applied for a Japanese tourist visa, so I submitted a letter with my application.  Unlike your wife, I was single, self-sponsored, and not a student.  In the letter, I explained my lack of formal employment, details about my financial capacity, and the countries I visited before.  I was granted a 30-day multiple-entry visa.

Thank you, we're already visited Singapore together for our honeymoon. Defintely would have loved to do more visa free areas (like HK). Your example is reassuring, appreciate it :)

Edited by edgarh1992

22 hours ago, edgarh1992 said:

Giving this a bump and hoping more can give some insights :)

Sorry I didn't get back to it.  It's been the most hectic week ever here.   

I would start with Japan.  They have more clearly defined sponsorship and somehow for us they just seemed easier.  Plus once she has a Japan visa it lends greater credibility for Korea.

Japan has all the paperwork online.
https://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/00_000035.html

These are these only travel agencies accredited by the Japanese Embassy to handle Filipino tourist visa applications.  They are who you deal with, not the embassy. 

https://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_ja/00_000253.html

Theres the application
https://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/files/100475146.pdf

Japanese example.  They are fussy.
https://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/files/100365623.pdf

Complete this letter of guarantee.
https://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/files/100365626.pdf

You need an itinerary.  Keep it simple.  You have no obligation to follow it.  Make it for a 4 or 5 day trip.  They will generally grant Filipino first time applicants a 15 day single entry visa no matter what you request.  They give longer stays and multiple entries on subsequent applications.

https://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/files/100365634.pdf

We did do a cover letter directly addressing shortcomings in my wifes application (we weren't married at the time)

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.

Here are some really good Filipino-centric websites on Japanese visa applications.

https://www.thepoortraveler.net/2013/11/japan-visa-requirements-manila-philippines/

https://iamaileen.com/japan-visa-philippines/

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

Timeline
11 hours ago, top_secret said:

Sorry I didn't get back to it.  It's been the most hectic week ever here.   

I would start with Japan.  They have more clearly defined sponsorship and somehow for us they just seemed easier.  Plus once she has a Japan visa it lends greater credibility for Korea.

Japan has all the paperwork online.
https://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/00_000035.html

These are these only travel agencies accredited by the Japanese Embassy to handle Filipino tourist visa applications.  They are who you deal with, not the embassy. 

https://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_ja/00_000253.html

Theres the application
https://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/files/100475146.pdf

Japanese example.  They are fussy.
https://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/files/100365623.pdf

Complete this letter of guarantee.
https://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/files/100365626.pdf

You need an itinerary.  Keep it simple.  You have no obligation to follow it.  Make it for a 4 or 5 day trip.  They will generally grant Filipino first time applicants a 15 day single entry visa no matter what you request.  They give longer stays and multiple entries on subsequent applications.

https://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/files/100365634.pdf

We did do a cover letter directly addressing shortcomings in my wifes application (we weren't married at the time)

No worries, appreciate the follow up to this internet stranger. Those documents will be extremely helpful, especially since we're just unsure what is being asked of the agency (we'd like to have everything ahead of time before visiting the agency).

Looks like most are remote, curious if its possible to have them file online with the agency or does everything need to be done in person? 

thanks for the docs again!

11 hours ago, top_secret said:

Here are some really good Filipino-centric websites on Japanese visa applications.

https://www.thepoortraveler.net/2013/11/japan-visa-requirements-manila-philippines/

https://iamaileen.com/japan-visa-philippines/

This is exactly what I was looking for as well, my googling failed me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.