cookiemonster06

I-824 to send approved I-130 to NVC - post here and support each other

17 posts in this topic

I haven't found a singular thread that allows for people to post about their I-824 journey. I-130 was already a mentally exhausting processing and only go through with the support in different communities and adding on I-824, feels like this will be testing a lot of people's patience, including myself. I'm hoping this can be a continuous thread to update each other on the filing, processing time, service center, etc or for people to answer each others questions. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Mines at Potomac currently. I-130 was actually approved in early May but due to USCIS telling me multiple times (from multiple different agents I'll add) that my 130 was forwarded to NVC, even the date it was sent. Contact NVC and they have no record of it, lawfirm says I don't need to submit I-824, tier 2 at USCIS finally says I have to submit I-824. Didn't get my receipt notice until July 28th that USCIS has received the I-824. 

Yeah the process feels like a jail almost, lock you away even after they approved the I-130 already, which in all honesty, if USCIS did not know what to do with it, they should have sent an RFE and not approved the petition. But, without the I-824, they wouldn't get an extra $465 from people 🤷‍♂️.

Working with the Congress office currently. 

On 9/26/2023 at 8:14 PM, Dataunavailable said:

Mines at Potomac currently. I-130 was actually approved in early May but due to USCIS telling me multiple times (from multiple different agents I'll add) that my 130 was forwarded to NVC, even the date it was sent. Contact NVC and they have no record of it, lawfirm says I don't need to submit I-824, tier 2 at USCIS finally says I have to submit I-824. Didn't get my receipt notice until July 28th that USCIS has received the I-824. 

Yeah the process feels like a jail almost, lock you away even after they approved the I-130 already, which in all honesty, if USCIS did not know what to do with it, they should have sent an RFE and not approved the petition. But, without the I-824, they wouldn't get an extra $465 from people 🤷‍♂️.

Working with the Congress office currently. 

Oh boy 😕 I'm sorry to hear that. My spouse just submitted the application last week (end of September, I forgot exact date) and it got delivered. How long did it take for you from delivery to receive your receipt notice? It seems like a month or 2 given your I-130 was approved in May. 

Definitely a shitty situation and especially the processing time. It feel like the ability to send this to NVC should not be this complicated. I'll update on when we get the receipt notice and also service center. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, cookiemonster06 said:

Oh boy 😕 I'm sorry to hear that. My spouse just submitted the application last week (end of September, I forgot exact date) and it got delivered. How long did it take for you from delivery to receive your receipt notice? It seems like a month or 2 given your I-130 was approved in May. 

Definitely a shitty situation and especially the processing time. It feel like the ability to send this to NVC should not be this complicated. I'll update on when we get the receipt notice and also service center. 

I-130 was approved May, but due to numerous miscommunications with USCIS, I didn't send my 824 until mid July. Took around a month for the 797 in the mail. 

What center approved your I130?

There definitely is some confusion over this I-824. No where in the process had I heard of this until we received the I-797 with an approved petition. I was under the assumption this would all be transferred to the NVC after approval. With the address to send this form to be in Arizona, is anyone aware if this then gets forwarded to another service center and how we are notified of such?

On 10/9/2023 at 10:36 AM, RobClarke said:

There definitely is some confusion over this I-824. No where in the process had I heard of this until we received the I-797 with an approved petition. I was under the assumption this would all be transferred to the NVC after approval. With the address to send this form to be in Arizona, is anyone aware if this then gets forwarded to another service center and how we are notified of such?

From what I've heard, this is becoming increasingly common this year. For $500, it's a money grab for sure. We tried to change our selection prior to our I-130 approval and it said on their website, you are allowed to do it as long as your I-130 is not approved yet but no agents knew of this or what to do. I'm not surprised that USCIS is slapping people with I-824 because they feel like it. 

Yes, it gets forwarded to one of the service centers and you should be notified by receipt notice similar to your initial I-797 you received for your I-130 I assume (?). If you signed up for text notification, they should text you as well.

We just received text notification that our I-824 was processed and it seems like it was sent to NBC according to the receipt number, 'MSC'. It took exactly 2 weeks from time of delivery to receive this. It seems like our PD date is the date that the PO box received it 2 weeks ago. We'll wait for the I-797 in the mail. 

@Dataunavailable which service center did you get? 

Timeline
On 10/13/2023 at 11:27 AM, cookiemonster06 said:

We just received text notification that our I-824 was processed and it seems like it was sent to NBC according to the receipt number, 'MSC'. It took exactly 2 weeks from time of delivery to receive this. It seems like our PD date is the date that the PO box received it 2 weeks ago. We'll wait for the I-797 in the mail. 

@Dataunavailable which service center did you get? 

Mines at Potomac, NBC is good, the processing time there online shows about 5 months. 

On 10/14/2023 at 9:34 AM, Dataunavailable said:

Mines at Potomac, NBC is good, the processing time there online shows about 5 months. 

we shall see -- i'm buckling in for the long run and in my situation. My spouse is eligible to apply for naturalization next year so at this point, I think it'll be another 2 year journey and it's already been 1 with I-130. I really do hope I look back at this in a few years time and it's just becomes a blip / distant memory. A lot of emotional scarring for sure though. 

Edited by cookiemonster06

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

hi,

check this screen shot its clearly saying where i want to move my petition and i got notice if i want to move my petition i have to file i-824 and have to pay 465$ thats scrazy  and my kids petitions already approved and with NVC and i was waiting for my wife approval notice and i got this .I filed my kids i-130 with same answers Capture2.JPG.74875bc5e0d70d837d386a50f688498d.thumb.jpeg.2b85e967abb2559057b8dae490fd1c13.jpeg

Got ds 3032 :23 March 2010

Interview : 09-09-2010 Result :Administrative Processing

In december 2010 priority dates retrogessed and wait priority date current again in

MARCH 2012 2nd

Medical submit :07 March 2012 Result :Administrative Processing

3rd Medical submit :28th Feb 2013 Result Administrative Processing

4th Medical submit :26th Feb 2014 Result :Got email reply from embassy that they will call me for finger prints and oath ..and still waiting Got call for finger prints and oath

on 12th MAY Went for finger prints and oath :21th May Result :ApprovedVisa Issued :22.05.2014

visa Issued Today after 3 years 8 months and 13 days

Green Card fee paid : 05/06/2014

Poe :17/06/2014

Ssn Received :27-06-2014

Green Card Produced and Mailed :07/22/2014

Got 10 YEAR Green Card :25/07/2014

Citizenship

Event                                Date

Service Center :             Online

CIS Office :                     New York City NY

Date Filed :                     2019-12-21

NOA Date :                     2019-12-28

Bio. Appt. :                     2020-01-06

Interview Date :            2021-03-25

Approved :                     2021-11-03

Oath Ceremony :          2021-11-19

On 10/18/2023 at 4:11 PM, Soccer.Player said:

hi,

check this screen shot its clearly saying where i want to move my petition and i got notice if i want to move my petition i have to file i-824 and have to pay 465$ thats scrazy  and my kids petitions already approved and with NVC and i was waiting for my wife approval notice and i got this .I filed my kids i-130 with same answers Capture2.JPG.74875bc5e0d70d837d386a50f688498d.thumb.jpeg.2b85e967abb2559057b8dae490fd1c13.jpeg

I heard that USICS has been asking people to submit I-824 even though they were correctly filled out. Given that you correctly filed your I-130, I would try to push for it to go to NVC first as much as you can through USICS. I would try to call them and request Tier 2 that it was correctly filled out, and it was their mistake.... if they just take another look at it, they can tell you correctly filled out it. They might ask you to wait 30 days for a callback though, that's the downside or potentially within days which is what you want. 

I know this has been a week since you received that information, what did you end up doing?

Im in same boat as yall are. 
Im at the point where I dont even care about money. Id pay more just for them to send it to NVC
My I-130 is electronic file so they should be able to click a button and send it. 
We have no recourse. No ability to protect ourselves. No way out. 
idk about yall. But when my I-130 was approved my embassy was open.  Now it is closed due to the war in a nearby county. Nothing makes since. So now we have to get permission for 3rd country interview. Which most ppl think no big deal. Well yes it is because you have to wait to get permission, then wait to get a visa to that country, and pay a lot more money to get there etc. 

please Allah make this nightmare end. 

On 10/26/2023 at 11:42 AM, HKAA said:

Im in same boat as yall are. 
Im at the point where I dont even care about money. Id pay more just for them to send it to NVC
My I-130 is electronic file so they should be able to click a button and send it. 
We have no recourse. No ability to protect ourselves. No way out. 
idk about yall. But when my I-130 was approved my embassy was open.  Now it is closed due to the war in a nearby county. Nothing makes since. So now we have to get permission for 3rd country interview. Which most ppl think no big deal. Well yes it is because you have to wait to get permission, then wait to get a visa to that country, and pay a lot more money to get there etc. 

please Allah make this nightmare end. 

I'm so sorry you're going through this, and especially the situation you're in with the embassy closing. I hope you and your family are safe.

• 4 weeks later...

My case status updated today and my I-130 got sent to Department of State! It's been hard feeling excitement since I got the update while I was in a meeting and this process has been so numb-stakingly painful that I still don't know how to feel. I wanted to update everyone. 

Our 824 status has not updated yet though -- we sent in that form 824 on September 27th and received an update today, November 21. 55 days in total and it was NBC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.