ah79

Adrian's journey and questions.

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone, I've been a member here for a few months now, and just recently my wife and I are getting closer to being able to file my paperwork so I can become a permanent resident and get work authorisation. Basically we have some questions but first I will describe what has happened with our situation so far and any help is very much appreciated as there is so much info and it's all very confusing, so here goes:

In September of 2006 my now wife and I met in an online video game, World Of Warcraft. We got along so well the first time we spoke was for 9 hours over the internet via VOIP. On December 7th, 2006 I arrived in the USA from Melbourne, Australia via the Visa Waver Program. On December 14th, 2006 we got married here in Illinois by a judge in the city courthouse. We contacted INS shortly after to find out if I had to leave the US by the end of the 90 days and we got told no I didn't due to us being married now and as long as I didn't do anything bad I wouldn't be booted out of the country. We have now been married 7 months. :)

They gave us some info on forms we needed to file and the fees but since it's all so confusing and there is so many different stories I was wondering if anyone could help by listing what forms I would need and maybe the fees so I know the total amount that we will be paying out. I get scared and nervous sometimes about it all, because it is so huge, but I have also read it in simple form and just keep telling myself to stay optimistic and the best things will come in time.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2 :guides:

First of all, read that link.

Second of all, hi, welcome. Your story has me slightly confused. I arrived on an F-1 student visa and went to school and eventually married and now applying for AOS though marriage.

Most people apply for K-1 or K-3 to come over here, THEN marry, THEN adjust.

How in the heck can you just fly over here on a holiday and marry and skip all that and they tell you its okay??? Doesn't that kick sand in the faces of all the people who have been working so hard, separated from family, to come over to the US on K visas?

I'm not singling you out, just confused as so many people could just say "hey, screw this visa #######, i'll just fly over on a passport and get married!"

Any thoughts people?

12.24.04 US Entry on F-1 Visa

06.30.05 Met Renee

03.17.07 Married!

AOS

07.24.07 Filed I-130 + I 1485

07.26.07 Package Received

gse_multipart60077.jpggse_multipart43945.jpggse_multipart39392.jpggse_multipart60125.jpgStarshipTN.jpg

Indie Frog Studios

Second of all, hi, welcome. Your story has me slightly confused. I arrived on an F-1 student visa and went to school and eventually married and now applying for AOS though marriage.

How in the heck can you just fly over here on a holiday and marry and skip all that and they tell you its okay??? Doesn't that kick sand in the faces of all the people who have been working so hard, separated from family, to come over to the US on K visas?

I'm not singling you out, just confused as so many people could just say "hey, screw this visa #######, i'll just fly over on a passport and get married!"

Any thoughts people?

Yeah, my thought is, MATTOB, don't be so flippin' judgemental. The OP first of all didn't say they came here with intent to marry. If they didn't, what they're doing is completely legal.

To the OP, the guides are very helpful, and the link that MATTOP posted should provide you with initial guidance. When you have specific questions, some people here are helpful. Others just judge. :)

Remove Conditions

08-19-2009: I-751 Sent to VSC

Filed: Timeline

Any thoughts people?

Yeah, my thought is, MATTOB, don't be so flippin' judgemental. The OP first of all didn't say they came here with intent to marry. If they didn't, what they're doing is completely legal.

To the OP, the guides are very helpful, and the link that MATTOP posted should provide you with initial guidance. When you have specific questions, some people here are helpful. Others just judge. :)

THANKYOU Bostonparis. What I didn't include in my original post, and it was my fault, that I originally came here to the US for holiday to meet and get to know my now wife better. At no stage before I came here did we consider marriage mainly because we had NEVER MET. After spending time together albeit a week, before that via webcam and voice over the internet for 3 months solid, we decided on a whim to get married. Silly, crazy taking a huge risk yes, but it has turned out for the best as we both love each other very much.

Okay, BostonParis, I humbly apologise if i sounded judgmental, but it was not my intent.

This issue is not addressed solely at our melbourne friend, it is in general, can people really come over here on a passport and skip K-1 etc.

I've never needed to do K visa as I was F-1, but this fact opens up a hole in the system that i'm sure many are aware of but surprised me for my lack of experience in that K-visa area.

That's a legitimate question.

"other's just judge"

Well if that's directed at me, :whistle: I clearly stated that I was not singling him out, so please, before YOU judge, read carefully

:)

06.30.05 Met Renee

03.17.07 Married!

AOS

gse_multipart60077.jpggse_multipart43945.jpggse_multipart39392.jpggse_multipart60125.jpgStarshipTN.jpg

Indie Frog Studios

Okay, BostonParis, I humbly apologise if i sounded judgmental, but it was not my intent.

This issue is not addressed solely at our melbourne friend, it is in general, can people really come over here on a passport and skip K-1 etc.

I've never needed to do K visa as I was F-1, but this fact opens up a hole in the system that i'm sure many are aware of but surprised me for my lack of experience in that K-visa area.

"other's just judge"

Well if that's directed at me, :whistle: I clearly stated that I was not singling him out, so please, before YOU judge, read carefully

Yes, actually, it was directed at you.

To answer your question: Yes, people can come here on holiday, decide to get married, then stay and adjust status. As long as the intent when they came here was not to get married, it is perfectly legal.

Remove Conditions

Sometimes love works on a whim. I'm sure you both felt completely right, or you wouldn't be here now

If Immigration has told you that you're fine, that's great, but be careful down the line during the AOS interview, as i think they WILL bring this to attention. And, please, AH79, sorry if i sounded judgmental towards you it was NOT my intention.

That's amazing you two met on WOW? When i think how many millions play that game now, amazing you both met like that.

Follow the link i provided, and be aware of the fee increase on the forms. Also, check out http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis sometimes they are helpful and this is where eventually you will track your visa journey.

All the best!

Edited by MATTOB

06.30.05 Met Renee

03.17.07 Married!

AOS

Indie Frog Studios

To answer your question: Yes, people can come here on holiday, decide to get married, then stay and adjust status. As long as the intent when they came here was not to get married, it is perfectly legal.

wow, your animosity isn't welcome :protest:

Edited by MATTOB

06.30.05 Met Renee

03.17.07 Married!

AOS

Indie Frog Studios

wow, your animosity isn't welcome :protest:

Other than my animosity, I hope my response answered your question. :lol:

Remove Conditions

Correct, even though it might stick in the craw of those who went through K-1 hell!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

"other's just judge"

Adjusting from F1 is the same as adjusting from VWP or B2 - you just may be in status after a long period of time in the US, with B visas or VWP may not (if they've been here for a long time). F1 doesn't make you special.

It's perfectly acceptable to adjust from VWP or a B visa as long as you did not intend to immigrate.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I did JUST that. I came over here to visit my boyfriend in March, and he surprised me with a very nice engagement ring and asked me to marry him. So we got married. We did not break the law. We then applied for AOS. We got a lawyer to take care of things for us and I asked him if I should leave and re-enter. He told me that was a silly idea as I would be waiting for a long time and since I was already here we could adjust status. So that is what we did.

I don't see it as kicking dirt in the faces of those who are applying for K-1/K-3/CR1/IR1 because no one else has anything to do with me and I'm not doing anything to any one else. I've been going back and forth to the US for 3 years before this and going through hell of being away from my now-spouse all the time. I almost spent a lot of money during that process. So again, no I don't feel like I'm doing anything bad to any one else.

ah79-good luck! I hope it works out for you guys!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Add to it that reading the post they probably didn't even know that K1 or K3 visa exist ;)

I mean if you're just visiting someone (that you're not even dating yet) you probably wouldn't search for those things, but that's my opinion.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just don't see any problem in what he did. What he did or I did for that matter has no affect on any poster here. We just become one of the millions that apply.

And to add to that, people may feel crappy that they had to go through K-1/K-3 etc to get to the US before they could even marry, but I'm here now and can't leave or work. I'd rather be at home with my family and my friends, as well as be a working person, until I I could come with all the proper documentation that would allow me to work here in the US. It's boring and it sucks.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.