no one

Cross-continent road trip

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Jason and I are in the preliminary stages of planning a cross-continent road trip for next summer.

It'll be from northern California to Toronto (Ontario, Canada), and back.

Problem is, we have only 2-3 weeks to work with.

We want to hit Yosemite, Mt Rushmore, and maybe Banff (staying 1-2 days at each location, max). And of course, visit my family and friends in Toronto :)

Is this roundtrip do-able, or will we get no rest at all?

Yosemite's relatively close to where we live, so we *could* save that for a later date...

We'd love to fly to Toronto, and then rent a vehicle to drive back, but it seems that most if not all RV / car rental places do not do one-way Canada/US rentals (pick-up in Canada, drop-off in the States). Does anyone know of companies that do this sort of rental?

Any advice?

Doable with some rest in 3 weeks; 2, you're pushing it.

Have you considered the idea of driving to Spokane (WA), then flying to Calgary and then driving across Canada to Pigtown?

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Doable with some rest in 3 weeks; 2, you're pushing it.

Have you considered the idea of driving to Spokane (WA), then flying to Calgary and then driving across Canada to Pigtown?

Hmm... we'll have to see if we can somehow scrape together more vacation days then.

The only reason we want to drive back from Toronto to California is because I still have tons of books to transport here. Didn't want to ship them over because they're heavy and I'm not in a great hurry to get them :whistle: Just wanna kill two birds with one stone!

Do most of the drive in the U.S. I love Canada, but the gas prices are nuts and the roads in the U.S. are better.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

I'd say definitely doable, though if you take in Banff you'd be going around the great lakes and that would probably not leave you much time to enjoy it - I'd probably try and cut through to Toronto via Detroit.

You can easily get from Northern CA to Chicago in 3 days (I have done it) driving non-stop. Chicago-Toronto would take probably another 8-10 hours depending on traffic.

If it was me, I would personally save Yosemite for a later date and take the I-80 out to Wyoming, cut through Yellowstone (in my opinion one of the most beautiful places in the world) on the state highways (need to look up which ones) to catch the I-90 in NE Wyoming. You can take it east for about 600 miles passing by Mt Rushmore and the Badlands through South Dakota. I'd allow maybe 5 days to do that. Then shoot on to Chicago, spend the night (or 2) there and then take I-94 to Detroit and then whatever road connects Detroit and Toronton through Ontario. Do that in one day (not much to see between those cities)

I have done a one way rental about 10 years ago - I'll have to go look up the company we did it with. You're unlikely to get it through one of the major car rental companies, but there are companies that specialize in it. Let me go off and research.

Edit: whatever you do, don't go through Nebraska. most boring state ever.

Edited by robinklake

90day.jpg

Another option would be to do 98% of the driving in the US in stages:

• North CA to Butte, MT
  • from Great Falls, a side trip to Waterton-Glacier, maybe Banff
  • return to Butte, then go eastward on I-90 to Bozeman, and head for Yellowstone
  • return to Bozeman, head east to Billings; take I-94 to Detroit (or, all the way to the end at Port Huron)
  • cross border, drive to Pigtown

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Mount Rushmore is a wonderful bit of Americana, but I can't see spending a couple of days there. We spent a few hours. I suppose there ARE things around there that could capture one's interest, but many of the nearby attractions are tourist traps. We did take a nice photo of us in front of the presidents' faces, and we sent that photo in with our I-751 as evidence that we vacationed together.

Yellowstone, on the other hand, is easily worth a couple of days. The Grand Tetons is worth at least another day. The Grand Teton mountain range is the most spectacular in the US, I believe.

Don't forget the Devil's Tower (from the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"), located in Wyoming, not far west of Mt. Rushmore. Another short stop, but a pleasant diversion from the long drive.

East of Mt. Rushmore, you've got Wall Drug and the Mitchell Corn Palace. Skippable, but you'll want something to relieve yourself of boredom, and it won't take long to see either one, so as long as you're crossing South Dakota on I-90 anyway, I'd recommend both.

I'd leave Yosemite for a shorter trip, since it's close to home and you'll be stressed for time anyway.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

I would definitely see the Badlands of SD just east of Mount Rushmore - you have to drive about 20-30 minutes south of 90 to get there but so worth an extra day:

BadlandsNationalPark-3.jpg

The company I used for the one-way rental was Advantage

http://easybook.arac.com/comparisontravel/

Unfortunately, I don't know if/how that works travelling from Canada to US as it specifically states 2 US locations

Oh, and if you plan to go to 2 or more National Parks I definitely recommend purchasing an Eagle Pass - it's about $80 and good for admission for an entire year.

90day.jpg

I used Avis last year pick up LA & dropped it in Seattle. They charage you an extra $200 to drop it elsewhere. And none did canada so we drove into vancouver & back down to Seattle to fly out.

Dunno muhc about the Northern Route - have done Rt 66 3x now..from Ohio - LA & I still hate it! :lol: Boring.

Montana is GORGEOUS, do not miss it.

Edited by devilette

I'd say definitely doable, though if you take in Banff you'd be going around the great lakes and that would probably not leave you much time to enjoy it - I'd probably try and cut through to Toronto via Detroit.

You can easily get from Northern CA to Chicago in 3 days (I have done it) driving non-stop. Chicago-Toronto would take probably another 8-10 hours depending on traffic.

If it was me, I would personally save Yosemite for a later date and take the I-80 out to Wyoming, cut through Yellowstone (in my opinion one of the most beautiful places in the world) on the state highways (need to look up which ones) to catch the I-90 in NE Wyoming. You can take it east for about 600 miles passing by Mt Rushmore and the Badlands through South Dakota. I'd allow maybe 5 days to do that. Then shoot on to Chicago, spend the night (or 2) there and then take I-94 to Detroit and then whatever road connects Detroit and Toronton through Ontario. Do that in one day (not much to see between those cities)

I have done a one way rental about 10 years ago - I'll have to go look up the company we did it with. You're unlikely to get it through one of the major car rental companies, but there are companies that specialize in it. Let me go off and research.

Edit: whatever you do, don't go through Nebraska. most boring state ever.

It's all right... I think after reading everyone's replies, we'll do the roundtrip with our own vehicle. The different country drop-off is more of a hassle than it's worth!

We'll definitely spend at least a day (or two?) in Yellowstone. Will save Yosemite and Banff for later. And will keep your advice about Nebraska in mind ;)

I also would HIGHLY recommend a couple of days in Yellowstone. I've been there a million times and never gotten sick of it, just one of those places you cannot miss....

My husband's been there, but I haven't ... we've agreed that Yellowstone will be our major stop on our way to Toronto! :D

Another option would be to do 98% of the driving in the US in stages:
  • North CA to Butte, MT
  • from Great Falls, a side trip to Waterton-Glacier, maybe Banff
  • return to Butte, then go eastward on I-90 to Bozeman, and head for Yellowstone
  • return to Bozeman, head east to Billings; take I-94 to Detroit (or, all the way to the end at Port Huron)
  • cross border, drive to Pigtown

Haha, thanks for mapping our route out for us ;) Will keep these routes in mind when we're making our final plans!

Mount Rushmore is a wonderful bit of Americana, but I can't see spending a couple of days there. We spent a few hours. I suppose there ARE things around there that could capture one's interest, but many of the nearby attractions are tourist traps. We did take a nice photo of us in front of the presidents' faces, and we sent that photo in with our I-751 as evidence that we vacationed together.

Yellowstone, on the other hand, is easily worth a couple of days. The Grand Tetons is worth at least another day. The Grand Teton mountain range is the most spectacular in the US, I believe.

Don't forget the Devil's Tower (from the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"), located in Wyoming, not far west of Mt. Rushmore. Another short stop, but a pleasant diversion from the long drive.

East of Mt. Rushmore, you've got Wall Drug and the Mitchell Corn Palace. Skippable, but you'll want something to relieve yourself of boredom, and it won't take long to see either one, so as long as you're crossing South Dakota on I-90 anyway, I'd recommend both.

I'd leave Yosemite for a shorter trip, since it's close to home and you'll be stressed for time anyway.

Don't worry -- I think we'll definitely be spending the bulk of our time in Yellowstone and Toronto! ;) Sounds like we can do Devil's Tower and Mt Rushmore in a day (or even half a day)?

Thanks for your recommendations!

I would definitely see the Badlands of SD just east of Mount Rushmore - you have to drive about 20-30 minutes south of 90 to get there but so worth an extra day:

BadlandsNationalPark-3.jpg

The company I used for the one-way rental was Advantage

http://easybook.arac.com/comparisontravel/

Unfortunately, I don't know if/how that works travelling from Canada to US as it specifically states 2 US locations

Oh, and if you plan to go to 2 or more National Parks I definitely recommend purchasing an Eagle Pass - it's about $80 and good for admission for an entire year.

I've only seen the Badlands in Alberta, but these sound like fun too :) Thanks for the tips! After reading everyone's replies, I think we'll probably just take our own vehicle and do the whole roundtrip in it. Having that campershell helps ;)

I used Avis last year pick up LA & dropped it in Seattle. They charage you an extra $200 to drop it elsewhere. And none did canada so we drove into vancouver & back down to Seattle to fly out.

Dunno muhc about the Northern Route - have done Rt 66 3x now..from Ohio - LA & I still hate it! :lol: Boring.

Montana is GORGEOUS, do not miss it.

That's quite a bit of money to do a different-State drop-off! After reading everyone's replies, I think we're going to do the whole roundtrip in our own vehicle... it's a lot less complicated that way.

Do you have any recommendations for must-see places in Montana?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.