no one

Cross-continent road trip

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Jason and I are in the preliminary stages of planning a cross-continent road trip for next summer.

It'll be from northern California to Toronto (Ontario), and back.

Problem is, we have only 2-3 weeks to work with.

We want to hit Yosemite, Mt Rushmore, and maybe Banff (staying 1-2 days at each location, max). And of course, visit my family and friends in Toronto :)

Is this roundtrip do-able, or will we get no rest at all?

Yosemite's relatively close to where we live, so we *could* save that for a later date...

We'd love to fly to Toronto, and then rent a vehicle to drive back, but it seems that most if not all RV / car rental places do not do one-way Canada/US rentals (pick-up in Canada, drop-off in the States). Does anyone know of companies that do this sort of rental?

Any advice?

Edited by echomyst

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure how much this helps but you can do pick-ups and drop-offs between Toronto and Buffalo for free through the major car rental companies (Hertz, Avis, etc.). If you go this route, you'd have to pick up in Toronto, drive to Buffalo, drop off that car, get another one and then take it back home. You'll also have to check if that rental company will charge you or not from Buffalo to your home state for drop off.

This is pretty much what we had to do when I moved here. Rented a car from Toronto, dropped off in Buffalo, picked up another in Buffalo and then dropped it off in Virginia when we got here. It was the only way we could avoid a $1,000 non-refundable drop off charge.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

I have no advise on the car rental part of things, but did want to comment on your going to Banff. Banff is nothing but a huge tourist trap! I'd recommend you stay someplace other than there. I'm more of a Jasper fan anyway than Banff, and while it's "pretty", there are better/other places to go. Lake Louise is another nice place, certainly smaller in size, but maybe just as busy in the summer. I'd check out some places in BC, like Golden, or towns/cities right at the border of BC and Alberta. You're still in the mountains, and only a short drive to Banff, but not in the heat of things right at Banff. Just my opinion...

Either way, have a wonderful trip. The drive through Northern Superior is outstanding, but I don't know if you're going that way.

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Well, you're not going to get much rest that's for sure! How many hours per day are you planning to drive? Its about a one week drive each way, so if you only have two weeks, you'll be pretty rushed and won't have much time for sight-seeing.

We once drove from Toronto to South Dakota and back. Each trip was 27 hours straight and we were completely exhausted on the trip back, and I almost killed us by falling asleep at the wheel!

3 weeks would be better if you can take it.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

What about taking the train? www.viarail.ca has a great site. This link for personalizing your trip looks good.... www.trainpackages.ca . You could also check out www.amtrak.com for American alternatives.

Friends of mine did a cross-country Canada trip. RV rentals were so high they ended up purchasing a camper van for less than a rental. Might be a thought for you.

Sounds like a great trip! Have lots of fun and let us know how it goes. Stay safe.

K

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Very doable in 2-3 weeks. I one summer vacation for I think it was maybe 2 weeks if that, we left from Windsor, hiked down the Grand Canyon, stayed over night then hung out in Vegas, then partied in LA, drove up to Seattle, all the way through the Dakotas and back. Now other then the Grand Canyon part being a national park, I can't recall if we did any of the other parks or not. But do able if you budget your time and not spend too much in one location...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

How about driving a rental car to Spokane, dropping it there, flying to Calgary and then renting a car for the drive to Pigtown?

Admittedly, only advantage of this is keeping the drop-offs on one side of the border.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

I drove from Houston, Texas to Arthur, Ontario in 2 days, picked up Nancy, spent a week in Canada, and then drove back with her via Chicago and St. Louis which took us 3 days. So 2 - 3 weeks is more than enough time are you driving your own vehicle?

Ramos

Edited by ramos96

da thread killa

Thanks everyone for your replies! :D

Not sure how much this helps but you can do pick-ups and drop-offs between Toronto and Buffalo for free through the major car rental companies (Hertz, Avis, etc.). If you go this route, you'd have to pick up in Toronto, drive to Buffalo, drop off that car, get another one and then take it back home. You'll also have to check if that rental company will charge you or not from Buffalo to your home state for drop off.

This is pretty much what we had to do when I moved here. Rented a car from Toronto, dropped off in Buffalo, picked up another in Buffalo and then dropped it off in Virginia when we got here. It was the only way we could avoid a $1,000 non-refundable drop off charge.

Eeps, $1000 drop-off charge is pretty steep!

I have no advise on the car rental part of things, but did want to comment on your going to Banff. Banff is nothing but a huge tourist trap! I'd recommend you stay someplace other than there. I'm more of a Jasper fan anyway than Banff, and while it's "pretty", there are better/other places to go. Lake Louise is another nice place, certainly smaller in size, but maybe just as busy in the summer. I'd check out some places in BC, like Golden, or towns/cities right at the border of BC and Alberta. You're still in the mountains, and only a short drive to Banff, but not in the heat of things right at Banff. Just my opinion...

Either way, have a wonderful trip. The drive through Northern Superior is outstanding, but I don't know if you're going that way.

Carla (F)

I've been to both Banff and Jasper, but my husband hasn't ^_^ I personally love Moraine Lake... when I went there years ago, it wasn't crowded at all! We probably won't be driving through Northern Superior, but I'll definitely keep that in mind for future road trips.

Well, you're not going to get much rest that's for sure! How many hours per day are you planning to drive? Its about a one week drive each way, so if you only have two weeks, you'll be pretty rushed and won't have much time for sight-seeing.

We once drove from Toronto to South Dakota and back. Each trip was 27 hours straight and we were completely exhausted on the trip back, and I almost killed us by falling asleep at the wheel!

3 weeks would be better if you can take it.

I've never driven this far before, but Google Map says that it'll take us around 2 days of non-stop driving to get from here to T.O. Did you take shifts driving? We'll probably take turns, but stay awake to keep each other awake ;)

What about taking the train? www.viarail.ca has a great site. This link for personalizing your trip looks good.... www.trainpackages.ca . You could also check out www.amtrak.com for American alternatives.

Friends of mine did a cross-country Canada trip. RV rentals were so high they ended up purchasing a camper van for less than a rental. Might be a thought for you.

Sounds like a great trip! Have lots of fun and let us know how it goes. Stay safe.

K

Yeah... we checked the prices on several RV rental sites and it's at least a few thousand dollars for x amount of mileage! I think we'll stick with our own vehicle after all ;)

Very doable in 2-3 weeks. I one summer vacation for I think it was maybe 2 weeks if that, we left from Windsor, hiked down the Grand Canyon, stayed over night then hung out in Vegas, then partied in LA, drove up to Seattle, all the way through the Dakotas and back. Now other then the Grand Canyon part being a national park, I can't recall if we did any of the other parks or not. But do able if you budget your time and not spend too much in one location...

Were there many of you taking turns driving? :-P I'm beginning to feel more optimistic about doing a roundtrip road trip... we'll just have to pick one or two major spots to stop, and then speed through the rest.

How about driving a rental car to Spokane, dropping it there, flying to Calgary and then renting a car for the drive to Pigtown?

Admittedly, only advantage of this is keeping the drop-offs on one side of the border.

The only reason we want to drive back from Toronto is because I still have tons of books to pick up from there ;) I think the hassles with a different drop-off location might not be worth it after all!

I drove from Houston, Texas to Arthur, Ontario in 2 days, picked up Nancy, spent a week in Canada, and then drove back with her via Chicago and St. Louis which took us 3 days. So 2 - 3 weeks is more than enough time are you driving your own vehicle?

Ramos

Did you stop anywhere enroute either way? I think we'll spend a day or two at Yellowstone :) Annnd... after reading everyone's comments, I think we'll stick with our own vehicle and do the roundtrip road trip after all!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just spent a day in banff. To truly enjoy banff, one has to get out into the wilderness. Downtown banff is just a tourist trap that has oodles of tourist shops.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I just spent a day in banff. To truly enjoy banff, one has to get out into the wilderness. Downtown banff is just a tourist trap that has oodles of tourist shops.

I just remember the highlight for me was Moraine Lake :) It had the prettiest blue waters I've ever seen (I went there many years ago in late August, I think).

Edited by echomyst

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Another consideration that we used when I moved down. . . my now husband flew into Detroit, rented a mini van from Enterprise at the airport (Enterprise would allow him to take it into Canada), picked me and the cats up in Chatham, and then we drove down to the Atlanta area. We rented the van for a week with unlimited mileage and the understanding that we would turn it in at the airport here. If we changed where we turned it in there would have been a drop off fee but since it was part of the rental arrangements, there wasn't. So - you may consider flying into Detroit or Buffalo, renting a mini van from Enterprise, driving on to Toronto, then driving the van back home and turning it in airport there, while site-seeing along the way. (Assuming their procedures haven't changed since 2004).

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Another consideration that we used when I moved down. . . my now husband flew into Detroit, rented a mini van from Enterprise at the airport (Enterprise would allow him to take it into Canada), picked me and the cats up in Chatham, and then we drove down to the Atlanta area. We rented the van for a week with unlimited mileage and the understanding that we would turn it in at the airport here. If we changed where we turned it in there would have been a drop off fee but since it was part of the rental arrangements, there wasn't. So - you may consider flying into Detroit or Buffalo, renting a mini van from Enterprise, driving on to Toronto, then driving the van back home and turning it in airport there, while site-seeing along the way. (Assuming their procedures haven't changed since 2004).

Hey, that's a good idea :) I think most rental companies are ok with border-crossing as long as you return the vehicle to the original country. After considering everyone's advice, I think we're going to do the entire roundtrip using our own vehicle. It just makes our trip a bit simpler, since it looks like 2-3 weeks will be do-able as long as we don't attempt to stop in too many places ;)

Timeline

We spent basically a 1/2 day in Chicago and other places along the way we spent several extra hours. As we were loaded down with all the stuff we had packed in Canada we weren't exactly in sight-seeing mode :P

But for Christmas, we are driving back to Canada for a week if Nancy gets her AP.

Ramos

da thread killa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.