Dave Knapp

US Embassy Manila - Passport Return Delay - HELP!!!! [merged threads]

41 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Dave Knapp said:

It says "ready" which I am told means that the visa was digitally generated by the State Dept and sent to Manila.

Maybe they meant that the visa case (not the visa) was sent from NVC to Manila.  "Ready" on CEAC does mean that the visa case has been digitally transferred from NVC and is ready for processing by the consulate in Manila.  Also, there's no sending the visa to Manila, as it's the consulate in Manila that actually processes the case and generates the visa.  Note also that the verbal approval given by the CO just means that your wife passed the interview, not that she is granted the visa.  The actual indication of visa approval is when CEAC case status turns to "Issued".  That's why the Department of State advises applicants not to make non-refundable flight bookings until after getting the issued visa on hand.

Until CEAC shows "Issued", keep following up with USEM via their website's public inquiry form for IV cases.  No need for a lawyer at this point for email follow-ups.  They can't rush USEM any more than you can.  Your US congressperson or senator may be able to get more information out of USEM, so you could try reaching out to one of them to assist you.  If the wait for the visa stretches to around 6 months after interview, consider hiring a lawyer to sue with Writ of Mandamus (WOM).  The lawyer must be an immigration lawyer based in the US, as the WOM filing must be in a federal court in the US.  Not sure why you think you need a lawyer in Manila.  A Philippine lawyer would be of no help to you for US immigration matters.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 9/14/2023 at 3:23 AM, Dave Knapp said:

Agreed.  But this guy was not in the US Embassy in Manila.  He talked about Embassy staff as if they were not co-located. Doesn't much matter.  He knew only what was in the in the "system" and that was that it was under administrative review. I just cancelled all flights and reservations.  If Murphy's Law is applicable here, now that I've cancelled everything, we should get a green light from the embassy any minute. 

That makes sense since I believe ustraveldocs is an separate  agency that the embassy contracts with. Not sure if they are co-located in the embassy or not.  If they told you it is under admin review, then thats your answer.  Something triggered it, and they are not going to tell you so you can't interfere. 

On 9/14/2023 at 5:52 AM, Dave Knapp said:

Nada.  It says "ready" which I am told means that the visa was digitally generated by the State Dept and sent to Manila.  No letters, no 221g, no nothing. Consular Officer said "You're approved" and gave her 2 pamphlets. Going there on Sep 22 to speak to someone. No other way to proceed except maybe an attorney, but they would have to be here in Manila, and that sector is riddled with scammers.

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you're facing. Please keep us posted as I'm also in a similar situation (re-submitted documents requested through 221G via LBC on Sep. 5 and still haven't heard back). 

3 hours ago, CFS said:

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you're facing. Please keep us posted as I'm also in a similar situation (re-submitted documents requested through 221G via LBC on Sep. 5 and still haven't heard back). 

Can you share some further info?  When was her interview?  What was she told by the consular officer? When did you get the 221G letter? We've heard virtually nothing.  I made an appointment at the Embassy for Sep 22 so I can get some facetime with Embassy staff, and hopefully some answers.  It's a bit of an expensive gamble, but maybe I can get them off their butts and do something. I'll keep you in the loop.

Thanks much,

Dave Knapp

Timeline
23 hours ago, Dave Knapp said:

Can you share some further info?  When was her interview?  What was she told by the consular officer? When did you get the 221G letter? We've heard virtually nothing.  I made an appointment at the Embassy for Sep 22 so I can get some facetime with Embassy staff, and hopefully some answers.  It's a bit of an expensive gamble, but maybe I can get them off their butts and do something. I'll keep you in the loop.

Thanks much,

Dave Knapp

Do you mean you made an appointment with the US Citizens's Services department in the Embassy?  I very strongly doubt they will or can give you any info about your case, and they probably couldn't even if they wanted to since they would need a release from your fiancée. . Or did you somehow manage to magically make an appointment with the VISA department there?  Just imagine if it was possible to go in chat with them about your 221g, everyone would be doing it. They are not going to open that door.

5 hours ago, W199 said:

Do you mean you made an appointment with the US Citizens's Services department in the Embassy?  I very strongly doubt they will or can give you any info about your case, and they probably couldn't even if they wanted to since they would need a release from your fiancée. . Or did you somehow manage to magically make an appointment with the VISA department there?  Just imagine if it was possible to go in chat with them about your 221g, everyone would be doing it. They are not going to open that door.

1. Yes, US Citizen Services. 2.  Applicant is my Wife, not Fiancee, and I believe she can accompany me. 3.  I agree, probably won't lead to anything. 4. No 221G, only a reply to an online inquiry as to the delay which stated that her visa application was under review.  4. If I escalate this in any manner, I can say without hesitation that I did everything in my power to find out. Aiza got caught up in this sputum testing black hole and had to wait 4 months for her medical clearance for an interview. Her package has been sitting in that building for 6 months. Why now are they hesitating? The interviewer gave her every assurance that she was approved. What do you think I should do?  Sit on my hands?

Timeline

For the lack of anything else at the moment, you should ask your Congressman to send them a request to expedite and to ask what is going on. This usually doesn't work, but its worth trying. 

Let us know how far you get with the Sept 22 appointment, it will be interesting to everyone here. 

Timeline
On 9/17/2023 at 2:06 AM, Dave Knapp said:

Her package has been sitting in that building for 6 months. Why now are they hesitating? The interviewer gave her every 

In that case, when she went for her interview, was the NBI clearance more than 3 months old?

1 hour ago, W199 said:

In that case, when she went for her interview, was the NBI clearance more than 3 months old?

We updated her NBI in February.  It's good on it's face for 12 months, but who knows?  I agree that US Citizen Services probably won't yield anything, but when I approach Senators and my Congressman I can say that I left no stone unturned. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Dave Knapp said:

We updated her NBI in February.  It's good on it's face for 12 months, but who knows?  I agree that US Citizen Services probably won't yield anything, but when I approach Senators and my Congressman I can say that I left no stone unturned. 

Your NBI is then 6 months old. Despite the fact that the embassy and the NBI says its valid for 12 months, the embassy does not like it to be more than 3 months old. When this happens the embassy takes a few weeks to request a new one themselves to be sent directly to them. 

6 hours ago, W199 said:

Your NBI is then 6 months old. Despite the fact that the embassy and the NBI says its valid for 12 months, the embassy does not like it to be more than 3 months old. When this happens the embassy takes a few weeks to request a new one themselves to be sent directly to them. 

I hope it's that simple.  I guess it still might take months in the hopper before they get around to it.

3 hours ago, Dave Knapp said:

I hope it's that simple.  I guess it still might take months in the hopper before they get around to it.

Would you be able to provide hard evidence for the fact that the Embassy requests for a new NBI Clearance that's less than 3 months old? I have never heard of this.

Also, the documents that the Embassy approves have to match what's on the CEAC site (where the DS260 application is submitted)...and it is the applicant's responsibility to update CEAC and not the Embassy's. It seems odd to me that they would request an additional "ghost" NBI Clearance that never makes it into the final record for the Department of State/the US government via CEAC. 

Hello!

By way of update:

• Our case was updated on Sep. 18 but it still says "Refused". We have yet to receive further communications from the Embassy (so I will assume they're still working on it)
  • We were able to contact the CFO office via e-mail (info@cfo.gov.ph) and they responded after a couple of days (which was nice). We're supposed to work with them to re-schedule our appointment via e-mail
  • Quick question - does anyone know what this requirement on the CFO site refers to: "Affidavit of invitation and support (financial support/safety/medical insurance) notarized and authenticated by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate which has jurisdiction over the destination or host country”. 

Thanks!

Edited by CFS

39 minutes ago, CFS said:
  • Quick question - does anyone know what this requirement on the CFO site refers to: "Affidavit of invitation and support (financial support/safety/medical insurance) notarized and authenticated by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate which has jurisdiction over the destination or host country”. 

They would only ever apply that requirement to someone traveling to meet a foreign sponsor who is paying for the trip, where there is no petition.  They won't ask for it from someone who has a spousal visa.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

2 hours ago, top_secret said:

They would only ever apply that requirement to someone traveling to meet a foreign sponsor who is paying for the trip, where there is no petition.  They won't ask for it from someone who has a spousal visa.

Thanks! This is super helpful.

We re-submitted the medical exam (along with other documents that had expired, e.g. NBI clearance & tax returns) and these were acknowledged as received on 9/5/2023. I know it's only 2 weeks...but, as everyone knows, it's hard to wait when time is ticking and the medical exam expires in 2 months.

Has anyone heard about recent turnaround times from the Embassy on 221(g) cases related to missing administrative paperwork (e.g. repeat medical) that was submitted via LBC? 

Edited by CFS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.