GF & AF

Rental car from US to Mexico and back?

3 posts in this topic

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew of US rental car/truck companies that let you cross the border into Mexico and return to the US?

My fiancé will be leaving his truck in Mexico because he thought it would be too difficult and costly to transfer the paperwork so he can drive it up here. Since he wants to bring some of his own household items to the US he will need to rent a truck by him and drive to the US border. Problem is, the companies won't let him cross over the border with the vehicle. We did some research and saw that supposedly companies up here in the Texas area near the border will let you cross over and back if you pay for additional insurance.

I called UHaul who said they don't let you cross the border and I'm waiting on a response from Budget rental. I've looked up professional moving company services and ocean freight shipping but they're expensive. Even the rental companies won't come cheap. If it were only clothing I'd tell him to fly but what he wants to bring is too big for a few suitcases.

If anybody has advice/suggestions on the easiest way to do it I'd really appreciate it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Yet another disadvantage of K-1. With a CR-1 he could drive a domestic one way rental to the border,  park it a few feet from the border, hand truck 3 boxes at a time through CBP’s  pedestrian gate, load a one way rental in the U.S. Go back to Mexico Rinse repeat. Drop off the rental. Uber CBP’s pedestrian gate. Drive his U.S. one way rental to your home. 

But K-1 is single entry.

So instead, you will need to drive your personal vehicle into Mexico (time your arrival so that you can idle at a relatively safe place like the parking lot of a Costco or Walmart  without leaving your vehicle) and meet with him.

Make sure to buy  short term vehicle insurance for Mexico first. There should be billboards as you approach Mexico for phone numbers and addresses state side that will sell this.

Transfer the load from his rental at the parking lot, then follow him to the rental car drop off point. Then he rides with you to the CBP check point, (which has horrible waits IMO; I always walk) and declares his K-1 and personal effects.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.