skatz

Bringing a parent - timeline and clarifications

6 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I was naturalized over a year ago and now considering bringing my father to the US as a GC holder. I have a couple of questions, especially because his path is going to be very different than mine (I-130 & I-485, then adjustment of status, and eventually naturalization).

• In terms of work, I understand that he'd get a stamp upon arrival which allows him to work until he get his GC, is that correct?
  • How long is his GC good for? Mine was good for 2 years and then I had to remove its conditions, but I'm assuming this isn't the case here..?
  • To become a citizen he'd have to have his GC for 5 years (unlike me, where I had to wait only 3 years because I'm married to a US citizen), is that correct?
  • Which forms do you typically submit in this case? Just the i-130?
  • While waiting for his GC, how does he leave of the country? Should I also submit an i-131 form? 
  • One last question, to get a social security card, is the stamp he receives upon arrival sufficient to get the card, or do we have to wait for the actual GC?

Thank you in advance

Removal of Conditions

CIS Office : Vermont Service Center

Date Filed : 2020-10-16

NOA Date : 2020-10-30

New Card Ordered: 2021-06-15

Fingerprints Taken (reused) Date: 2021-06-15

Approval / Denial Date : 2021-06-15

Approved : Yes

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Philadelphia PA

Date Filed : 2017-11-11

NOA Date : 2017-11-18

RFE(s) : 2018-01-05

Bio. Appt. : 2017-11-29

Interview Date : 2019-01-02

Approval / Denial Date : 2019-01-05

GC Received: 2019-01-11

9 minutes ago, skatz said:

In tems of work, I understand that he'd get a stamp upon arrival which allows him to work until he get his GC, is that correct? Yes

• How long is his GC good for? Mine was good for 2 years and then I had to remove its conditions, but I'm assuming this isn't the case here..? 10 years
  • To become a citizen he'd have to have his GC for 5 years (unlike me, where I had to wait only 3 years because I'm married to a US citizen), is that correct? that's correct. he need to be LPR for 5 years and reside in the US at least 183 days per year ( since the day he become LPR). 
  • Which forms do you typically submit in this case? Just the i-130? yes
  • While waiting for his GC, how does he leave of the country? Should I also submit an i-131 form? he will be waiting outside US. he wont need i-131. you should do research about consular processing. file i-130-approved-NVC-filed DS 260+i-864-interview at embassy/consulate to get immigrant visa.
  • One last question, to get a social security card, is the stamp he receives upon arrival sufficient to get the card, or do we have to wait for the actual GC? he should get the SS by mail, and if within 1 month he didnt receive it, go to SSA office

Thank you in advance

12 minutes ago, Verrou said:

he will be waiting outside US. he wont need i-131. you should do research about consular processing. file i-130-approved-NVC-filed DS 260+i-864-interview at embassy/consulate to get immigrant visa.

You're right, but I meant from the moment he enters the US with his new stamp until he get his GC, if he needs to leave the country for a couple of days, does he need a special form? Sounds like it's safer not to leave until you get the GC in this case?

Removal of Conditions

Adjustment of Status

49 minutes ago, skatz said:

You're right, but I meant from the moment he enters the US with his new stamp until he get his GC, if he needs to leave the country for a couple of days, does he need a special form? Sounds like it's safer not to leave until you get the GC in this case?

the i-551 stamp on the passport = Green card holder status. exactly the same. he can enter and leave the US without an issue. the day he set foot in US with immigrant visa = he is LPR

Edited by Verrou

3 minutes ago, Verrou said:

the i-551 stamp on the passport = Green card holder status. exactly the same. he can enter and leave the US without an issue.

Great, thank you so much for all your help!

Removal of Conditions

Adjustment of Status

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, skatz said:

Hello everybody,

I was naturalized over a year ago and now considering bringing my father to the US as a GC holder. I have a couple of questions, especially because his path is going to be very different than mine (I-130 & I-485, then adjustment of status, and eventually naturalization).

• In terms of work, I understand that he'd get a stamp upon arrival which allows him to work until he get his GC, is that correct?
  • How long is his GC good for? Mine was good for 2 years and then I had to remove its conditions, but I'm assuming this isn't the case here..?
  • To become a citizen he'd have to have his GC for 5 years (unlike me, where I had to wait only 3 years because I'm married to a US citizen), is that correct?
  • Which forms do you typically submit in this case? Just the i-130?
  • While waiting for his GC, how does he leave of the country? Should I also submit an i-131 form? 
  • One last question, to get a social security card, is the stamp he receives upon arrival sufficient to get the card, or do we have to wait for the actual GC?

If you check the box on ds 260 for USCIS to process the SS #,  it will come in the mail;  otherwise u take him to SS office with passport and I 551 stamp to apply yourself

Thank you in advance

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.