SnowColdIce

Passport Requirements for Marriage outside of the US for CR-1 Visa.

17 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hello All,

My better half and I are planning to get married soon in Cuba so we can finally start the process here for a CR-1 Visa. I am assuming that we just need the original Marriage Certificate and a certified translation to English for the whole Visa process is that correct? No need to register said foreign marriage in the US in civil court or anything?

Also another question, does the passport used to get married matter for USCIS or the US in general? The reason I ask is because I am both a US and a Cuban Citizen, she is Russian. She would use her Russian passport as expected, but in my case, I enter Cuba with my Cuban passport (due to Cuban regulations). They (Cuba) don't care (as far as I know) which passport I use, but it may make the process more seamless and speedier if I marry with my Cuban passport instead of the US one. Now since I am a US Citizen, does USCIS need my marriage to be done with my US Passport? I cannot find any language regarding that requirement anywhere.

Thanks in advance, please feel free to ask if you need more clarifications.

Edited by SnowColdIce

9 minutes ago, SnowColdIce said:

Hello All,

My better half and I are planning to get married soon in Cuba so we can finally start the process here for a CR-1 Visa. I am assuming that we just need the original Marriage Certificate and a certified translation to English for the whole Visa process is that correct? No need to register said foreign marriage in the US in civil court or anything?

Also another question, does the passport used to get married matter for USCIS or the US in general? The reason I ask is because I am both a US and a Cuban Citizen, she is Russian. She would use her Russian passport as expected, but in my case, I enter Cuba with my Cuban passport (due to Cuban regulations). They (Cuba) don't care (as far as I know) which passport I use, but it may make the process more seamless and speedier if I marry with my Cuban passport instead of the US one. Now since I am a US Citizen, does USCIS need my marriage to be done with my US Passport? I cannot find any language regarding that requirement anywhere.

Thanks in advance, please feel free to ask if you need more clarifications.

Not sure how it could matter?  There is no notation put in a US passport when you get married.

You need a certified marriage certificate with a translation.  I'm not sure why you're focusing on a passport, it is irrelevant.

There is no centralized marriage registry in the US.

Edited by SalishSea

Timeline

@SalishSea thank you for your response! So right after the moment we get married and obtain our Cuban Marriage Certificate and do a Certified translation to English that's all that's needed for USCIS/NVC/Interview? Meaning there is no need to submit it to the State in any way for it to be valid in the US?

I was asking about the passport in case it's put on the marriage certificate or in case the CR1 process specifically needs my marriage to be done under a US Passport. I am aware it doesn't get annotated to my passport, but maybe it does on the certificate itself?

Edited by SnowColdIce

21 minutes ago, SnowColdIce said:

@SalishSea thank you for your response! So right after the moment we get married and obtain our Cuban Marriage Certificate and do a Certified translation to English that's all that's needed for USCIS/NVC/Interview? Meaning there is no need to submit it to the State in any way for it to be valid in the US?

I was asking about the passport in case it's put on the marriage certificate or in case the CR1 process specifically needs my marriage to be done under a US Passport. I am aware it doesn't get annotated to my passport, but maybe it does on the certificate itself?

As long as the marriage is valid where it occurs, that's sufficient.  There is no doing a marriage "under a US passport."

In terms of what it takes for foreigners to marry in a specific location, that is something to research about the country in question, it isn't part of US immigration.

Are you not worried about a visit to Cuba creating issues for your Russian fiance when it comes time for the US visa?

Timeline

Oh I see, thank you really! Yeah we can marry in Cuba as foreigners as usual but I just wanted to see because there is a possibility of the paperwork to be done faster if I marry under a Cuban passport there. (Just Cuba shenanigans)

@SalishSea that's a great question. Actually, I am from Cuba, I have been living in the US for about 11 years now. I go there from time to time to visit family exclusively and usually just for 3 or 4 days max. She has gone to Cuba twice for vacation, we actually met at the Hotel we were both staying at the last time she went. I usually don't go to Hotels in Cuba at all but I treated my family to a beach vacation for a few days on that trip. And from there, she and I have traveled together and been together in other countries. We chose Cuba due to being a place for me to go easily and having family there, and for her as well (Cuba is friendly with Russia) it's easier to go and take her parents there for our wedding. It basically evolved like a regular relationship with the only difference is that she lives in a different country (Russia). We never knew about each other existence before we met in Cuba me just approaching her because she seemed lost lol.

I don't see why it would be an issue since I go there often, and she has only gone twice, and we both did it for completely different reasons. It would be the same situation if it were in Spain or Germany. Or are you asking due to geopolitical implications?

1 hour ago, SnowColdIce said:

Oh I see, thank you really! Yeah we can marry in Cuba as foreigners as usual but I just wanted to see because there is a possibility of the paperwork to be done faster if I marry under a Cuban passport there. (Just Cuba shenanigans)

@SalishSea that's a great question. Actually, I am from Cuba, I have been living in the US for about 11 years now. I go there from time to time to visit family exclusively and usually just for 3 or 4 days max. She has gone to Cuba twice for vacation, we actually met at the Hotel we were both staying at the last time she went. I usually don't go to Hotels in Cuba at all but I treated my family to a beach vacation for a few days on that trip. And from there, she and I have traveled together and been together in other countries. We chose Cuba due to being a place for me to go easily and having family there, and for her as well (Cuba is friendly with Russia) it's easier to go and take her parents there for our wedding. It basically evolved like a regular relationship with the only difference is that she lives in a different country (Russia). We never knew about each other existence before we met in Cuba me just approaching her because she seemed lost lol.

I don't see why it would be an issue since I go there often, and she has only gone twice, and we both did it for completely different reasons. It would be the same situation if it were in Spain or Germany. Or are you asking due to geopolitical implications?

Yes, geopolitical.   

Timeline

@SalishSea no issues whatsoever. Even though US-Cuba relationship is not the best, is also not at it's worst point. So in reality there is no danger to anything. Again I go there and they don't even care when entering CBP. I got asked more about when I came from Dubai with a layover in Egypt, CBP was way more strict.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Have you considered an online Utah wedding? It is 100% valid and gives you a US marriage certificate. My Russian wife and I got married in March and several others have used this service. Are you familiar with this option?

Edited by JayFromTexas

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
35 minutes ago, SnowColdIce said:

@JayFromTexas Yes we are aware of it, however, we still wanted a wedding, nothing big though, something small and intimate with only family.

Perfectly understandable, particularly since the online marriage is NOT valid (for US immigration purposes) UNTIL you are together again in person, afterwards.  It's travel TO marry, or travel AFTER marriage.  Your choice, which you already made.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
15 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Perfectly understandable, particularly since the online marriage is NOT valid (for US immigration purposes) UNTIL you are together again in person, afterwards.  It's travel TO marry, or travel AFTER marriage.  Your choice, which you already made.

We did both :) We met in Turkey and got married online in Utah.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
8 hours ago, JayFromTexas said:

We did both :) We met in Turkey and got married online in Utah.

Which is a different choice than the OP is making. Both work.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.