platinum-android

Applying for a Schengen Visa with expiring Conditional Green Card: Seeking Advice

17 posts in this topic

Background: my USA immigration status

• I'm an Indian citizen residing in the USA with a conditional Green Card expiring in mid-December 2023

• I'll submit my I-751 application in mid-September 2023, which is the earliest I can submit

• I expect to receive my I-751 receipt notice around end-October (based on current processing times), which will extend my Green Card validity by 48 months to mid-December 2025.

Current scenario: upcoming travel to Europe and Schengen visa

• I'm planning a trip to Europe from late-November to late-December 2023 for which I need a Schengen visa
  • I have a visa appointment scheduled for Netherlands (my planned first entry point) in mid-September 2023
  • However, I fear I may have to delay the appointment until I get my Green Card extension in end-October based on the Netherlands visa application form: 
    • Netherlands visa application asks whether my current status in the USA is “Residence permit for a fixed period” or “Residence permit with indefinite leave to remain” (screenshot)
    • In either case I need to show that my US residence permit or visa is valid for at least 3 months beyond my travel

My questions

• Q1 | Expediting I-751 notice: Is there anything I can do to expedite getting my I-751 receipt notice / Green Card extension, apart from applying as soon as I am eligible to apply?
  • Q2 | Netherlands visa: Should I apply in mid-September without my Green Card extension? If rejected, I can reschedule to end-October. Also, does my Green Card count as “Residence permit for a fixed period” or “Residence permit with indefinite leave to remain”?
  • Q3 | Other Schengen countries: Are there other Schengen countries which may not require Green Card validity for visa applications? If yes, I could alter my travel plans accordingly.
  • Q4 | Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer! 🙏

My timeline:

Dec-2020: I-485, I-765, and I-131 filed
Aug-2021: I-485 biometrics appointment
Sep-2021: EAD + AP card delivered
Oct-2021: I-485 interview
Dec-2021: Conditional Green Card delivered

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You'll get your 48 months extension within 2 weeks. So, no worries about that. 

You have to apply for Schengen visa using your Indian PP. 

You cannot use a GC to apply for Schengen, last I checked 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

3 minutes ago, Timona said:

You'll get your 48 months extension within 2 weeks. So, no worries about that.  

Thank you! But based on current processing times it looks like 4-6 weeks rather than 2 weeks. Do you know the best place to look up the current processing times?

(My concern is that if this takes too long then I won't have sufficient time to get my Netherlands visa for my planned dates.)

My timeline:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I just told you 2 weeks max. 

And if you have/ create a USCIS account prior to sending I-751, you'll get it faster, before the mail makes it to your mailbox. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

57 minutes ago, Timona said:

I just told you 2 weeks max. 

Not always. I've seen reports it's taking 4-6 weeks. In many cases it takes less than 2 weeks. But to rely on it 100% - I wouldn't.

Edited by OldUser

15 hours ago, platinum-android said:

• Q1 | Expediting I-751 notice: Is there anything I can do to expedite getting my I-751 receipt notice / Green Card extension, apart from applying as soon as I am eligible to apply?
  • Q2 | Netherlands visa: Should I apply in mid-September without my Green Card extension? If rejected, I can reschedule to end-October. Also, does my Green Card count as “Residence permit for a fixed period” or “Residence permit with indefinite leave to remain”?
  • Q3 | Other Schengen countries: Are there other Schengen countries which may not require Green Card validity for visa applications? If yes, I could alter my travel plans accordingly.
  • Q4 | Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Which country are you going to spend the majority of your time in?

You can switch it to the interview to that country if it looks like an "easier" application. 

If you have to go in person to the interview, the consulate in Netherlands should know what a conditional GC.

Have you checked processing times for Schengen visas out of Netherlands/other countries? Can you move the appointment to October and get your passport back before November? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 3:10 PM, ESD said:

Were you able to find a solution to this problem? I'm in the same situation. 

Thank you!

Hey, I decided to just wait until I get my I-751 notice and then apply for the visa. 

My timeline:

23 hours ago, platinum-android said:

Hey, I decided to just wait until I get my I-751 notice and then apply for the visa. 

Germany seems not to require the 3 month validity for the green card. I contacted the visa center and the consulate and while their answers weren't direct, this was what I understood from it. They only responded with "you need a valid green card." So, I decided to apply anyway. 

Edited by ESD

On 9/7/2023 at 8:21 AM, ESD said:

Germany seems not to require the 3 month validity for the green card. I contacted the visa center and the consulate and while their answers weren't direct, this was what I understood from it. They only responded with "you need a valid green card." So, I decided to apply anyway. 

Good luck, and please share an update for future reference! 🙏

My timeline:

On 9/12/2023 at 9:21 AM, platinum-android said:

Good luck, and please share an update for future reference! 🙏

Thanks. I was able to get the visa. Germany doesn't require 3 months validity for the green card. 

16 hours ago, ESD said:

Thanks. I was able to get the visa. Germany doesn't require 3 months validity for the green card. 

Thanks for sharing! What exactly is the requirement for Germany? They just need your Green Card to be valid for your return journey to the US? My green card is actually expiring in the middle of my proposed trip to EU.

My timeline:

11 minutes ago, platinum-android said:

Thanks for sharing! What exactly is the requirement for Germany? They just need your Green Card to be valid for your return journey to the US? My green card is actually expiring in the middle of my proposed trip to EU.

You may have a problem boarding the plane back to the US, even though you're supposed to be boarded.

Are you going to file I-90 / I-751 (whichever applies) before leaving?

Edited by OldUser

Just now, OldUser said:

You may have a problem boarding the plane, even though you're supposed to be boarded.

Are you going to file I-90 / I-751 (whichever applies) before leaving?

I mailed my I-751 just yesterday, and I'm sure I'll receive the NOA by the time of my departure, so I don't think boarding should be a problem for me. So you're saying I can get a Germany visa even before I get my NOA despite my GC expiring during my time in Germany?

My timeline:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.