Kseniia123

Ukranian passport

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, please someone advise on my matter.
I married to US citizen and got my 2 years GC. I would like to go to Ukraine for 1-2 months to visit my family. While I am in Ukraine,  Do I need to change my internal passport and make a new passport for traveling or not?

Im confused ..

There is no information in my marriage certificate that I changed my last name. But all my ID, Green Card, Work Authorization and even military ID on my husband’s last name. 

Will I face any problems reentering US or not? 
And am I able to travel with my Ukrainian passport in maiden name in Europe???

please share your experience. 

and if you changed your internal passport, what paperwork you prepared before to apply for name changing in Ukraine. obviously to me that marriage certificate is not enough, cause it doesn’t state my new last name. Thank you 😊 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved to the Russia/Ukraine/Belarus regional forum, where informed responses can be gained.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
16 hours ago, Kseniia123 said:

Hi everyone, please someone advise on my matter.
I married to US citizen and got my 2 years GC. I would like to go to Ukraine for 1-2 months to visit my family. While I am in Ukraine,  Do I need to change my internal passport and make a new passport for traveling or not?

Im confused ..

There is no information in my marriage certificate that I changed my last name. But all my ID, Green Card, Work Authorization and even military ID on my husband’s last name. 

Will I face any problems reentering US or not? 
And am I able to travel with my Ukrainian passport in maiden name in Europe???

please share your experience. 

and if you changed your internal passport, what paperwork you prepared before to apply for name changing in Ukraine. obviously to me that marriage certificate is not enough, cause it doesn’t state my new last name. Thank you 😊 

1) You need to change your internal passport if you wish you change your international passport.  It is a process to change the internal passport and my understanding that alone takes a few months.  Its not a quick thing.  You have to have your marriage certificate and its going to need an apostile on it.

2) If your GC is still valid you wont face any problems with re-entry

3) My wife is Ukrainian and prior to her becoming a citizen we took a handful of trips to Europe. HEr GC was in her married name and Ukrainian passport in her maiden name.   As long as you have the biometric passport you wont have any issues.  THe EU never asked to see her GC - just her Ukrainian passport when she went and exited customs.

4) Book the ticket under your international passport name - not under your GC name. She had global entry and this caused a slight delay sometimes but we were always about to use the fast line.

I also got confused with our marriage certificate, it is my maiden name on it still. And I was advised to get court order documents showing my legal name change! Did you guys get that order from your court before traveling? 
because what else I found out (I m not sure if information is correct) if I want to change my passports in Ukraine I must bring Court Order Documents… so I am confused 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
20 hours ago, Kseniia123 said:

I also got confused with our marriage certificate, it is my maiden name on it still. And I was advised to get court order documents showing my legal name change! Did you guys get that order from your court before traveling? 
because what else I found out (I m not sure if information is correct) if I want to change my passports in Ukraine I must bring Court Order Documents… so I am confused 

My wife never changed her internal or international Ukrainian passport. She left it under her maiden name as its too much of a hastle.

We never changed anything on our marriage certificate.  However, when she went to renew her Ukrainian International passport she did have to get the marriage certificate apiostled and there was a company that did this.  this was becuase she did the renewal in the US and they wanted proof of living in the US - Greencard and Marriage certificate.  

You can also check out the link below

https://dmsu.gov.ua/poslugi/pasport-gromadyanina-ukrajni/id-oformlennya-pasporta-gromadyanina-ukrajni-u-formi-kartki-u-razi-obminu-pasporta-zamist-vtrachenogo-abo-vikradenogo.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.