7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Hi everyone. Thanks again for all of your advice. I'm back again with another question that i'm hoping someone will be able to answer.

My wife initially entered the country as an F-1 back in 2003 (no intent on marrying at that time, just as a side note). Now that we've filed our case with DHS and have recieved NOA's for her biometrics (this is the point we're currently on), does she need to bring this to the attention of her school? Since her status technically isn't F-1 anymore... Or should this not matter?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, et Merci Beaucoup! :)

Our AOS Timeline

06/16/07 -- Our Wedding

06/26/07 -- AOS sent by attorney

07/02/07 -- Receipt of Documents by USCIS

08/01/07 -- Biometrics Completed

08/05/07 -- "Touched"

09/07/07 -- EAD Card Production Ordered!

01/29/08 -- AOS Interview - APPROVED!! [Verbally]

02/06/08 -- Welcome EMail Received

02/11/08 -- Card Production Ordered

02/19/08 -- Card Received!

Our ROC Timeline

11/05/09 -- Initial meeting with attorney to file Removal of Conditions

11/11/09 -- ROC sent by attorney

01/05/10 -- Biometrics Completed

02/16/10 -- Approval

Citizenship

06/13/11 -- N-400 sent by attorney.

06/24/11 -- NOA

07/15/11 -- Biometrics Completed

08/25/11 -- Interview APPROVED

08/31/11 -- Oath Taken! Now a US Citizen!

Passport

09/06/11 -- Passport Application submitted.

09/21/11 -- Passport Book Received!

09/23/11 -- Passport Card and Certificate of Naturalization received.

09/25/11 -- Life after USCIS begins.

av-37579.gif

Be me a little...

Being completely honest she should tell her school*. She should have no trouble continuing school while AOS is pending, even though her F-1 status is now invalid.

*The other school of thought is to not bother and see if they notice. ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

There's no reason not to tell the school about AOS.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I was an F-1 student before I received my green card. I told my school immediately after I got my NOA, so that they would stop charging me the international health insurance fee (which was over 500 bucks).

April 13, 2010 - N 400 sent

April 14, 2010 - Received confirmation of delivery from mail carrier

April 23, 2010 - NOA date

April 26, 2010 - Check cleared

April 27, 2010 - NOA letter received

May 7, 2010 - Fingerprint letter received

May 24, 2010 - Fingerprint appointment

July 13, 2010 - Interview (passed!)

July 29, 2010 - Oath letter received. Oath scheduled for 08/26/2010

August 26, 2010 - I'm a US Citizen!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
Hi everyone. Thanks again for all of your advice. I'm back again with another question that i'm hoping someone will be able to answer.

My wife initially entered the country as an F-1 back in 2003 (no intent on marrying at that time, just as a side note). Now that we've filed our case with DHS and have recieved NOA's for her biometrics (this is the point we're currently on), does she need to bring this to the attention of her school? Since her status technically isn't F-1 anymore... Or should this not matter?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, et Merci Beaucoup! :)

Tell your school. Most likely than not you will just get advantages from it. Lower health insurance and possibly lower tuituion fee when you have the green card.

K-1 Visa process

April 19, 2006 Sent I-129F

September 7, 2006- NOA2 APPROVED!!!! ** Approved in 141 days

December 5, 2006 K-1 visa in hand

December 28, 2007 Our Wedding Day

AOS process

April 11, 2007 Sent I-485 for AOS

June 28, 2007 Interview - Green card is on its way

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I was an F-1 student before I received my green card. I told my school immediately after I got my NOA, so that they would stop charging me the international health insurance fee (which was over 500 bucks).

I stopped paying for health insurance way before I filed AOS - my DSO forgot about it, and I didn't remind her. This insurance was a rip-off - it didn't cover anything, and it didn't include dental, which was the only thing I truly needed. And yep, it was about $500 a quarter :angry: :angry: :angry:

You probably won't get lower tuition just because you filed AOS - you need to meet residency requirement for that, and unfortunately, your time on F-1 visa here won't be credited towards your state residency. So, no in-state tuition. However, filing AOS entitles you to take classes part-time, if you want to - if you are tired of 12 units per semester, AOS is your legal way out of it.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Thanks again for the prompt replies. You are all very helpful. My wife and I were just not certain when to talk to her DSO about the AOS. Let me ask you this... just to be sure i'm on the same page with the lingo.

NOA can be just the first receipt of notice, right? Thats all we have so far besides our Biometrics invitation. Will this be good enough for her to become just a normal student and not an "F-1?"

Thank you all for your help as usual.

Our AOS Timeline

06/16/07 -- Our Wedding

06/26/07 -- AOS sent by attorney

07/02/07 -- Receipt of Documents by USCIS

08/01/07 -- Biometrics Completed

08/05/07 -- "Touched"

09/07/07 -- EAD Card Production Ordered!

01/29/08 -- AOS Interview - APPROVED!! [Verbally]

02/06/08 -- Welcome EMail Received

02/11/08 -- Card Production Ordered

02/19/08 -- Card Received!

Our ROC Timeline

11/05/09 -- Initial meeting with attorney to file Removal of Conditions

11/11/09 -- ROC sent by attorney

01/05/10 -- Biometrics Completed

02/16/10 -- Approval

Citizenship

06/13/11 -- N-400 sent by attorney.

06/24/11 -- NOA

07/15/11 -- Biometrics Completed

08/25/11 -- Interview APPROVED

08/31/11 -- Oath Taken! Now a US Citizen!

Passport

09/06/11 -- Passport Application submitted.

09/21/11 -- Passport Book Received!

09/23/11 -- Passport Card and Certificate of Naturalization received.

09/25/11 -- Life after USCIS begins.

av-37579.gif

Be me a little...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.