Roy an Panitta

K1/K2 an I -130 questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I started a new topic cause im not sure of where to put it. So for the moderators feel free to move it if necessarygrandfather passed

My current status is NOA1 May filer an the ISCIS is currently working the May files an starting the June 2022 filers. An i had a few questions concerning how to go about getting my step kids to the US...

1- I have 3 step kids one is is going to be 19 an she is attending the University here in Thailand so she has decided to stay here in Bangkok. I have one who is 12 an she will be going with us when we leave and will be attending the interview with my fiance.  I have one that is 10 who will be staying behind and following us with in the year (maybe) cause he is currently staying with his grandfather. An all 3 are on our I-129F form  because the original intent was to bring them all home at the same time..

A. So my question is do i have to file a DS-160 for my 19yro step daughter who is on the I-129F but staying behind to attend collage in Bangkok? She will not be coming until after graduation..

B. Do i have to file a DS-160 for my 10yro  step son who will be following us with in a year an does he have to attend the interview with my fiancé?

C. If for some reason my step son doesn't follow us within the 1 year period what happens to his status?  (This might happen if my fiancé decides to let him stay here with his grandfather who is 75

D. If my 10yro step son's status does change do i have to file a I-130 (im assuming)...?

E. Will or can the process (I-130) be expedited because he is a minor who if he is still here will have nobody to care for him except his older sister..? This would mean his  grandfather would have passed..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

12 year old is no issue, she will be coming with you. The 10 year old has a year to follow it is called on the approval of the K1 visa. The 19 year old may present a problem if she doesn't come now. I will have to check, or I'm sure someone will answer, but she will age out at 21 years old, or if she gets married, and then it becomes a long wait. She may have to come with you and enter the US, then apply for a re-entry permit to go back to Thailand to finish school and be able to return to the US later.

Also, if you are doing a K1, they are not your step-kids yet until you get married. hopefully all this can be done before the oldest one ages out.

Also, if longer than a year passes for the 10 year old, then yes, you will have to file an I130 for him, but he has a year to follow on the original K1.

Another thought is does your fiancee, or the kids mom have full custody of the children? You may need permission from the father to allow them to leave the country, Thailand is weird on the parenting thing depending if the kids were born in wedlock, or out of wedlock, so double check on that.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks for getting back to me..My fiancé. Does have full custody of the kids as documented in her divorce decree the father isnt in their lives even tho he lives 5km down the road. The 19 yro will be something we deal with when she graduates. Hopefully she'll reconsider an come with us an then return asap. That being said will my step son have to go to the interview with my fiancé? Even tho he might not come with in the year. The way im understanding it is i do the DS160 an  he comes to the interview if we wont him to be able to follow within a year. An if its a definite he wont be following within a year then he wont be required to attend the interview an i dont have to file a DS160 for him or the oldest.  Also on a side note the kids are not legally my step kids until we get married i get that its just the way im referencing them even tho were not married now but will be by the end of the year... Hopefully... praying hard.. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

On 6/26/2023 at 4:10 AM, Roy an Panitta said:

Thanks for getting back to me..My fiancé. Does have full custody of the kids as documented in her divorce decree the father isnt in their lives even tho he lives 5km down the road. The 19 yro will be something we deal with when she graduates. Hopefully she'll reconsider an come with us an then return asap. That being said will my step son have to go to the interview with my fiancé? Even tho he might not come with in the year. The way im understanding it is i do the DS160 an  he comes to the interview if we wont him to be able to follow within a year. An if its a definite he wont be following within a year then he wont be required to attend the interview an i dont have to file a DS160 for him or the oldest.  Also on a side note the kids are not legally my step kids until we get married i get that its just the way im referencing them even tho were not married now but will be by the end of the year... Hopefully... praying hard.. 

Just be aware, if the 19 year old doesn't come on a K2, they aren't coming for a very very long time 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.