TBoneTX

The Big IR-1/CR-1 DQ'd Message Group (Part V)

798 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, Shades8 said:

I got my passport back today - yay!
But I can’t pay the immigrant fee on the USCIS website.  I keep getting “unexpected error”, I’ve tried a different browser and triple checked that I am entering the right numbers, but no luck.  Is there an issue with their website right now?

I've been seeing people on various threads reporting having issues with the website.  I'd try tomorrow.  Government agency and IT....

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Got the visa issued today.

Start to finish took 4.5 hours, I read 1-2 hours somewhere on the forum and thought I could get away with eating a little breakfast and have early lunch afterwards. Nope, stomach was unhappy for most of the time I was in the consulate. Small lockers are provided free of charge, they fit no larger than your phone, smartwatch and earphones together. Drinking water fountain is provided. Some 40-50 applicants were in the waiting room at any given time. There were 12 windows/booths for the interviews, today 4 of them were dedicated to American citizen services.

The interview is a 2 step process. I got to the consulate at 830am, did security screening and put all electronics away in the locker. They will then tell you to take the elevator to the first floor, which is where the whole process happened. I waited 2 hours until my number was called. The first interview was just a document check really, the lady just asked who my petitioner is, confirmed the addresses and contact information, and obtained my original documents, this took about 10-15 minutes. I sat back down and noticed that most of the staff were gone for lunch break (or planning world domination idk), I waited another 2 hours before my number was called for the actual interview, this also took 10-15 minutes. The staff are highly trained, the interview is just to figure out whether your application is legit and not a fraud, so as long as you're legitimate there's nothing to worry about. I was lucky because both the staff I dealt with were nice and not the type to give you a hard time, both of them smiled frequently and are the kind of person who wants you to succeed, provided you followed the pre-interview guidelines and are not missing any documents of course. It seemed like most of the staff are like that just by observing them interact with other applicants. The staff who did my second interview was just as excited as me when he issued my visa!

Best of luck to everyone, the finish line is closer than you think!

For out of town visitors, I recommend Best Western Plus Downtown Montreal-Hotel Europa. 3 minute walk to the consulate, tons of food options within walking distance, and cheap, easy and quick access to/from the airport with bus route 747. I stayed in a room with a queen bed, the bathroom is a little small, but for a one night stay, I really couldn't complain given the cheap price. If you want to be safe, stay 2 nights and avoid almost missing my return flight like I did!

Here's my brief timeline:

I130 Filed: Late July 2022

I130 Approved: Late July 2023

Case sent to NVC, NVC Case Created and Paid IV and AoS Fees: Early August 2023

NVC fee status changed to PAID: Mid August 2023

DQ: Late August 2023

Interview Letter: 21 Nov 2023

Interview: 24 Jan 2024

Concurrently I also applied for Canadian citizenship:

Apply for Canadian citizenship: Late August 2023

Acknowledgement of Receipt: Mid Oct 2023

Citizenship Test: Early Nov 2023

Became Canadian citizen and new Canadian passport issued: Early December 2023

On 1/22/2024 at 7:26 AM, HoneyBadger26 said:

Husband entered US 1/19 😁 We are now just waiting for the green card/etc.

We selected to have SSA issue a SSN card for him, and I'm curious how long that typically takes to arrive?

I've also seen some things saying that the immigrant visa in his passport is proof that he is able to work, until his green card arrives, but I don't know if that is accurate.

Can anyone shed any light on these two items?

Could you update when your husband receives his SSN in the mail please? I'd love to know since my job hiring portal does not allow me to proceed with my application without it. Thanks!

Someone on Reddit has me concerned that I don't have the right police certificate.

I got it done at my local Commissionaires office. On the sheet I got back it says "Type of Criminal Record Check for Personal Use: For Active Criminal Record".

That was accepted when submitted to the NVC along with my other documents, but someone is telling me that's the wrong form, and I'll be told to get another one and mail it in before I can get my green card. My interview is February 8. Is that correct?

35 minutes ago, craigbeauch said:

Someone on Reddit has me concerned that I don't have the right police certificate.

I got it done at my local Commissionaires office. On the sheet I got back it says "Type of Criminal Record Check for Personal Use: For Active Criminal Record".

That was accepted when submitted to the NVC along with my other documents, but someone is telling me that's the wrong form, and I'll be told to get another one and mail it in before I can get my green card. My interview is February 8. Is that correct?

You need police certificate from RCMP (that search your record in National
Repository of Criminal Records)

image.png.58289d5f5baf5f366d4b093c86476beb.png

Your application will go into Administrative Processing(221g) after interview and that would delay the visa issuance

Edited by Leo The Great

7 minutes ago, Leo The Great said:

You need police certificate from RCMP (that search your record in National
Repository of Criminal Records)

image.png.58289d5f5baf5f366d4b093c86476beb.png

Your application will go into Administrative Processing(221g) after interview and that would delay the visa issuance

My form is from the National Repository of Criminal Records.

5 minutes ago, craigbeauch said:

My form is from the National Repository of Criminal Records.

You form will be OK if it is issued by RCMP and says

To whom it may concern:
Your application for personal information held in the National
Repository of Criminal Records has been processed. No personal
information about you was found in the National Repository of
Criminal Records.

Edited by Leo The Great

Just now, Leo The Great said:

You form will be OK if it says

To whom it may concern:
Your application for personal information held in the National
Repository of Criminal Records has been processed. No personal
information about you was found in the National Repository of
Criminal Records.

That is exactly what mine says. So I should be ok even if it has

"Type of Criminal Record Check for Personal Use: For Active Criminal Record"?

3 minutes ago, craigbeauch said:

That is exactly what mine says. So I should be ok even if it has

"Type of Criminal Record Check for Personal Use: For Active Criminal Record"?

You are good (Type of Criminal Record Check for Personal Use: For Active Criminal Record)->NVC suggests to get report for Personal Use. Yo can check it from NVC country specific document web site (Canada)

Edited by Leo The Great

Just now, Leo The Great said:

You are good (Type of Criminal Record Check for Personal Use: For Active Criminal Record)->NVC suggests it to get report for Personal Use

Ok. What about this on the travel state gov website?

Police Certificates

Available

Fees: Varies by Province

Document Name:  Certified Criminal Record Check – Type of Criminal Record Check for for Personal Use (*Formally known as Privacy Act)

Sub-type: Other (Provide Details)

Details of Information sought: RCMP National Repository Entire Holdings

The following documents WILL NOT be accepted:

• Type of Criminal Record Check for Personal Use: Visa-Border Crossing, Foreign Travel, Work document.
  • Type of Criminal Record Check for Personal Use: Active Criminal Record document
    • Provincial or City issued police certificate

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Canada.html

4 minutes ago, craigbeauch said:

Ok. What about this on the travel state gov website?

Police Certificates

Available

Fees: Varies by Province

Document Name:  Certified Criminal Record Check – Type of Criminal Record Check for for Personal Use (*Formally known as Privacy Act)

Sub-type: Other (Provide Details)

Details of Information sought: RCMP National Repository Entire Holdings

The following documents WILL NOT be accepted:

• Type of Criminal Record Check for Personal Use: Visa-Border Crossing, Foreign Travel, Work document.
  • Type of Criminal Record Check for Personal Use: Active Criminal Record document
    • Provincial or City issued police certificate

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Canada.html

You are good- We have the same form and was accepted by consulate too.

Edited by Leo The Great

57 minutes ago, craigbeauch said:

Ok. The person on reddit is telling me this is what the form needs to say. Mine doesn't say this. 

IMG_5685.JPG

Not sure the What difference it makes:

"For Active Criminal Record" vs "Other"

Our is same as above image.

May be some other VJ member comment on it

Edited by Leo The Great

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Leo The Great said:

I got the same police record as the above image too. My interview isn’t until end of next month.

2 hours ago, Leo The Great said:

I don't know what difference it makes either, but this guy is adamant that the pictured one is what I need. This is what mine says. 

I am now very stressed.

Screen Shot 2024-01-25 at 8.31.47 PM.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.