TBoneTX

The Big IR-1/CR-1 DQ'd Message Group (Part V)

809 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, tonyrako said:

My wifes interview was Friday. She was approved but the computer system was down so they couldn't finalize the paperwork. Would you be able to post back here once yours is done and let us know if the system is back up and running today? Best of luck on your interview, my wife said it was quick and easy - other than the computer part! 

I had my interview this morning and as far as I could tell their IT systems must have been working again because he told me I was approved at the end of the interview.  And a couple hours later my case status changed to Issued.  I was surprised it all happened so quickly!  Did your wife get an update yet? 

20 hours ago, HoneyBadger26 said:

Husband entered US 1/19 😁 We are now just waiting for the green card/etc.

We selected to have SSA issue a SSN card for him, and I'm curious how long that typically takes to arrive?

I've also seen some things saying that the immigrant visa in his passport is proof that he is able to work, until his green card arrives, but I don't know if that is accurate.

Can anyone shed any light on these two items?

Congrats! Not sure about SSN, but I was wondering how long did it take him at customs to activate the visa? I plan to fly and am not sure how much time I should plan for at customs.  Also, after his visa status changed to Issued did he get tracking number by email or did he have to keep checking the delivery service website? I had my interview yesterday and it was marked Issued a couple hours after, yay!!🎉 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
17 hours ago, HoneyBadger26 said:

That is great news, thank you. With regard to not having a SSN, we can't get him added to my bank account for paychecks; I assume with proof of identity (visa) he could take his paychecks somewhere to cash them? In all likelihood, his SSN will arrive before getting hired, so probably won't even need to worry about that, but still like to plan ahead.

He should be able to take his passport to the bank and open a bank account now.  Yes, they like a SSN, but same "problem" - it's so they report any crazy money to the IRS for taxation.  He should be able to sign a cheque over to you to cash.  Cheques are so antiquated, but commonplace in the US!  Strange to me, despite being here in various forms for a decade now.  Anyway, I digress...🙊

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Shades8 said:

Congrats! Not sure about SSN, but I was wondering how long did it take him at customs to activate the visa? I plan to fly and am not sure how much time I should plan for at customs.  Also, after his visa status changed to Issued did he get tracking number by email or did he have to keep checking the delivery service website? I had my interview yesterday and it was marked Issued a couple hours after, yay!!🎉 

It took us about 30-40 minutes at the crossing; we did a land point of entry.

The only notification we got after issuing the visa was that it was ready for pickup. There was no tracking number provided. Two business days for delivery for us.

Timeline
8 hours ago, hawaiicostco said:

Could I bring my phone, smart watch and wallet with me into the Montreal consulate? I know for the Toronto consulate, they did not let me bring my phone and smart watch in, but I don't remember if they're ok with a wallet.

No phone or watch.  Wallet will be fine.  Take a book or magazine!

I'd leave yourself 2 hours for secondary.  It doesn't usually take them long to pull your documents from the repository, but it does depend on how busy secondary is.  Better to have too much time than not enough!  Especially with the ridiculously overbooked flights!

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
1 minute ago, mam521 said:

He should be able to take his passport to the bank and open a bank account now.  Yes, they like a SSN, but same "problem" - it's so they report any crazy money to the IRS for taxation.  He should be able to sign a cheque over to you to cash.  Cheques are so antiquated, but commonplace in the US!  Strange to me, despite being here in various forms for a decade now.  Anyway, I digress...🙊

That's interesting... so if my husband signs his check to me, I should be able to deposit it in my bank even though his name isn't on the account yet? That would be hugely beneficial, honestly. I will definitely speak with my bank to see if there would be any pushback on that!

9 hours ago, hawaiicostco said:

Could I bring my phone, smart watch and wallet with me into the Montreal consulate? I know for the Toronto consulate, they did not let me bring my phone and smart watch in, but I don't remember if they're ok with a wallet.

I brought all of that stuff and they had a little locker I could store it in while I was upstairs.   I brought my wallet upstairs, but no phone, watch, key fobs or earphones, they went in the locker. 

Edited by Shades8

Timeline
1 minute ago, HoneyBadger26 said:

That's interesting... so if my husband signs his check to me, I should be able to deposit it in my bank even though his name isn't on the account yet? That would be hugely beneficial, honestly. I will definitely speak with my bank to see if there would be any pushback on that!

Yes, he can sign the money to you.  

I had a cheque issued to me for a reasonably large amount from the insurance company for my roof claim.  I signed it over to the roofing company.  Basically, once a cheque is endorsed, anyone can cash it so that's why people are told not to endorse it until they are depositing it.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

21 minutes ago, EmCash said:

My husband got a new passport in the time between registering the appointment and the appointment which is scheduled in February. Is it recommended to upload the new passport into the NVC?

This exact same thing just happened to me.  I did upload a copy of my new passport before the interview, and when I showed up they just wanted to see my old passport, but it was no issue at all.  Does he still have his old passport? 

Timeline

This exact same thing just happened to me.  I did upload a copy of my new passport before the interview, and when I showed up they just wanted to see my old passport, but it was no issue at all.  Does he still have his old passport? 

It went through the wash so the passport office said it may be considered 'damaged' and therefore may not be returned to him - we are still waiting to see. We def have a copy of the passport bio page though to show. 

I had my medical at Dr. Cheema's office today in Vancouver. It was a pretty straight forward procedure and I wanted to share it here, because I know how stressful this entire process can be. Quick note, I live in Alberta currently, so I had to book a flight to Vancouver. Also booked a rental car, which I highly recommend considering how expensive it is to Uber to/from the airport.

My appointment was for 9:30 AM, I arrived around 9:15. I went to the counter and told them I had a 9:30 appointment and they asked me if it was for a medical. I said yes and they asked me to take a seat. A few minutes later I was called up to the counter and they asked for my interview letter, vaccination record and passport. They photocopied all of them and gave them back to me. I was given three sheets of paper to fill out, all of them were essentially the same thing. Name, birthday, address, phone number etc. One was for the office, one for West Coast Imaging and one for Life Labs.

After I filled those out, I was brought back to the counter and they took my photo, so you don't need to bring passport photos to the medical. She then told me that she had booked an appointment for me at Life Labs (about 2 km down the street) for 11:40, and to go to West Coast Imaging before that for my X-ray. She informed me that everything would be sent to the consulate in Montreal electronically, so I didn't need to expect to pick up anything or wait for anything to come in the mail. I paid the fee ($355 for my age, by debit) and I then sat down again for about 10 minutes.  I was then called to the back office by a nurse. She took my height and weight and said it was good that I had all my vaccinations up to date, so I wouldn't need any at the appointment. 

A few minutes later Dr. Cheema came in and asked me very standard medical questions. Am I taking any medications, do I have any health problems (physical and mental), do I drink/do drugs, have I had any major surgeries done before. He was very friendly and personable. He asked me what I did for work and what I'm planning on doing once I move to the United States. He said he was happy that I'm going somewhere warmer than I live right now. After those questions he checked my heart rate and laid me down on the table. He felt around my hip area before sitting me up and declaring "Ok, there's nothing wrong with you." (Hilarious). The time spent with Dr. Cheema in the room was probably 5 minutes, maybe not even that. 

I left Dr. Cheema's office and went to West Coast Imaging. They have parking in the back of the building, but there aren't many spots. Thankfully there was one open when I went down there. The first hour is free, and that's all you'll need. Just enter your license plate # on the machine. West Coast Imaging was very quick. I gave them the piece of paper that I was given/filled out at Dr. Cheema's office and told to take a seat. 10 minutes later my name was called and I was told to take off my shirt and put on a gown that was provided, because I didn't have an undershirt on.

The X-Ray took 30 seconds once it was all set up and then I was free to head to Life Labs, which is essentially directly across the street from West Coast Imaging. I jumped in the car and parked behind Life Labs. There's no meter there or anything that I saw, but you won't need one anyway since it's also quite quick there. My appointment wasn't until 11:40 but I got there at about 11:10 and went upstairs. I told them I had an appointment and gave them the paper that I was given at Dr. Cheema's office. I sat down for a few minutes before I heard my name called and was instructed to go to a certain chair number.

The nurse came by and asked basic questions (name, address etc) to confirm identity and then drew blood from my arm. And that was it! I was out of there before 11:30. The entire process at all three places was very straight forward. Getting ready to fly home for a few weeks before my interview in Montreal on February 8!

Edited by craigbeauch

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.