stuckinlimbo

Sent Passport to US Embassy While in another country

11 posts in this topic

So looks like I made the biggest mistake of my life and sent my passport to the US Consulate in Montreal while I am not in Canada...

Has anyone done this before?? Have they actually sent the passport back at least to a Canadian address? Because I won't be able to come back to Canada without my passport....

Help please!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They should send it back to your Canadian address.

You could also contact the Canadian Consulate and get a temp travel document 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 hours ago, stuckinlimbo said:

So looks like I made the biggest mistake of my life and sent my passport to the US Consulate in Montreal while I am not in Canada...

Has anyone done this before?? Have they actually sent the passport back at least to a Canadian address? Because I won't be able to come back to Canada without my passport....

Help please!

Where are you now?

5 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

Anyone at your residence can forward you to Europe your passport using a tracked courier service DHL/Fedex/UPS? 

What was your plan when you sent your passport?  

Yes. We live with my parents in Canada. The plan was to continue the processing of the visa that's why we sent our passports while in Europe. We had to come here for my husband's family and we will be here for at least a couple of months....

9 hours ago, stuckinlimbo said:

Yes. We live with my parents in Canada. The plan was to continue the processing of the visa that's why we sent our passports while in Europe. We had to come here for my husband's family and we will be here for at least a couple of months....

Have them send you the passport then.

Not ideal, could get lost, but you'll most probably be fine. 

Alternatively, you can get a travel document, or new passport, from the nearest Canadian embassy/consulate - however, they will cancel your current passport, so your visa will be in a then-void passport, and it is a few hundreds dollars.

Don't forget that your visa will only be valid for 6 months from your medical exam, not clear how long ago that was.

16 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Have them send you the passport then.

Not ideal, could get lost, but you'll most probably be fine. 

Alternatively, you can get a travel document, or new passport, from the nearest Canadian embassy/consulate - however, they will cancel your current passport, so your visa will be in a then-void passport, and it is a few hundreds dollars.

Don't forget that your visa will only be valid for 6 months from your medical exam, not clear how long ago that was.

That's what we thought would happen but US consulate Montreal emailed me saying we must be in Canada for them to return passports....

But thank you for your insights!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How do they know where you are?

They just send it to your Canadian address 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, stuckinlimbo said:

That's what we thought would happen but US consulate Montreal emailed me saying we must be in Canada for them to return passports....

But thank you for your insights!

I would say "ok" and wait to see if they return it.  If they insist they can't send it, they'll have to return it to you overseas...

Passport Canada can issue a second passport in such situation, but that's water under the bridge now that you've left the country.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.