mero38

Got rfe for proof of selective service after interview

43 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Not that it makes any difference to your case, but that is not USCIS procedure as USCIS’s web site makes clear. SSS has zero authority over USCIS. 

However, by picking that hill to die on, you might indeed have delayed your case.

Uscis directed me to the sss website to get q statement from... and thats what I did, and in that statement says that uscis manual says that males over 31 are not to register for selective service 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 hours ago, mero38 said:

Uscis directed me to the sss website to get q statement from... and thats what I did, and in that statement says that uscis manual says that males over 31 are not to register for selective service 

No that is not what the manual says

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
8 hours ago, mero38 said:

Read uscis policy manual volume 12 part d- chapter 7 thats what it says there!

From the manual:

3. Males Not Required to Register

The following classes of males are not required to register for Selective Service:

• Males over the age of 26;

• Males who did not live in the United States between the ages of 18 and 26 years;

• Males who lived in the United States between the ages of 18 and 26 years but who maintained lawful nonimmigrant status for the entire period; and

• Males born after March 29, 1957 and before December 31, 1959.[10]

I think what you are referring to is this:

Applicants Under 26 Years of Age

The applicant is generally ineligible. 

Applicants Between 26 and 31 Years of Age

The applicant may be ineligible for naturalization. USCIS will allow the applicant an opportunity to show that he did not knowingly or willfully fail to register, or that he was not required to do so.

Applicants Over 31 Years of Age

The applicant is eligible. This is the case even if the applicant knowingly and willfully failed to register because the applicant’s failure to register would be outside of the statutory period.

The two are indeed different, as @Mike E points out!

Naturalization

4/30/2024 Eligible to file for Naturalization

5/18/2024 Filed N-400 online, biometrics reused

5/20/2024 Case is being actively reviewed

Removal of Conditions

4/30/2023   Eligible to file for ROC

5/1/2023     Sent ROC package via USPS

5/4/2023     Package delivered to Phoenix, AZ lockbox

5/9/2023     Received text message confirming receipt, case #IOE....

5/10/2023   Check was cashed

5/11/2023   Case is being actively reviewed

5/15/2023   NOA received in the mail, biometrics reused

Marriage-Based AOS

3/3/2021   Sent application package to Chicago Lockbox

3/8/2021   USCIS Chicago Lockbox receives package

4/4/2021   Received text messages, status updated to "Case Was Received" and "Fingerprint Fee Was Received" for I-485

4/5/2021   Checks cashed

4/9/2021   Received I-797c for I-131 in the mail

4/16/2021 Received I-797c for I-130, I-765 in the mail

4/23/2021 Received I-797c for I-485 in the mail

5/10/2021 Received Biometrics appointment notice in the mail

5/25/2021 Biometrics Appointment

5/26/2021 Status updated to show fingerprints were taken

5/28/2021 Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview

6/07/2021 Received I-693 deficiency notice in the mail (dated 05/23/21)

6/11/2021 Interview was scheduled

6/21/2021 Received interview notice in the mail

7/29/2021 Interview date (Approved on the spot)

7/29/2021 New card is being produced

7/30/2021 Case was approved

8/02/2021 Card was mailed to me

8/03/2021 Card was picked up by USPS

8/05/2021 Received approval notice in the mail

8/11/2021 Received Green Card in the mail

10/13/2021 EAD and AP updated to Case closed, benefit received by other means

Timeline
8 hours ago, mero38 said:

Read uscis policy manual volume 12 part d- chapter 7 thats what it says there!

Read https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/attachments.pdf

Alien men who were in the U.S. aged 18 to 26 less a day had to register (unless they had a lawful non immigrant status) and if they did not they cannot file until age 31 and even then only if they provide a custom status information letter.

Since you are using the boiler plate letter you are admitting you were in the U.S. before age 26. 

7 hours ago, oneoftheunderdogs said:

From the manual:

3. Males Not Required to Register

The following classes of males are not required to register for Selective Service:

• Males over the age of 26;

• Males who did not live in the United States between the ages of 18 and 26 years;

• Males who lived in the United States between the ages of 18 and 26 years but who maintained lawful nonimmigrant status for the entire period; and

• Males born after March 29, 1957 and before December 31, 1959.[10]

I think what you are referring to is this:

Applicants Under 26 Years of Age

The applicant is generally ineligible. 

Applicants Between 26 and 31 Years of Age

The applicant may be ineligible for naturalization. USCIS will allow the applicant an opportunity to show that he did not knowingly or willfully fail to register, or that he was not required to do so.

Applicants Over 31 Years of Age

The applicant is eligible. This is the case even if the applicant knowingly and willfully failed to register because the applicant’s failure to register would be outside of the statutory period.

The two are indeed different, as @Mike E points out!

Well I am neither of them, I was not in the country in the age 18-26 to register, and I didn't apply at the age of 26-31 for citizenship therefore I'm out of that window according to the uscis policy manual! Mike was saying that uscis Manual doesn't say that

6 hours ago, Mike E said:

Read https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/attachments.pdf

Alien men who were in the U.S. aged 18 to 26 less a day had to register (unless they had a lawful non immigrant status) and if they did not they cannot file until age 31 and even then only if they provide a custom status information letter.

Since you are using the boiler plate letter you are admitting you were in the U.S. before age 26. 

I don't know what are you talking about!! In the n400 application it asked if I was in the country age 18-26 and I said no! In the interview I handed the officer my passport and she saw first day I arrived to the USA even when my visa was issued and my age and everything have nothing to do with 18-26! I I applied for citizenship age 38 ( have nothing to do with age 26-31)! So I don't understand where you getting that I am admitting that I was in the us before age 26!!! I never said that neither my documents said that neither the uscis policy manual that you claimed it doesn't state that I shouldn't be asked for selective service cause I am older than 31 when I applied ( but I showed you it does) said that!

Timeline
8 minutes ago, mero38 said:

don't know what are you talking about!!

You are seeking to be naturalized on the basis of being a male older than age 31. That basis is for males who in the U.S. before age 26. 

7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

You are seeking to be naturalized on the basis of being a male older than age 31. That basis is for males who in the U.S. before age 26. 

I know that, that's why I was wondering why the officer put me under that basis even though she knows I'm older than 31! And on the application I said no to the age of 18-26 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, mero38 said:

I know that, 

Then why did you submit

23 hours ago, mero38 said:

and I attached a pdf document from the selective service website stating that males older than 31 shouldn't be asked for selective service

?

Just now, Mike E said:

Then why did you submit

?

What I submitted is a letter explaining that I am older than 31 and a copy of the stamp of when I arrived to the USA, and yhr visa I entered with to proof I was older than 26, and a letter from the sss stating the uscis policy on that matter that I shouldn't be asked for registration because i an older than 31

Timeline
12 minutes ago, mero38 said:

What I submitted is a letter explaining that I am older than 31

[…]

and a letter from the sss stating the uscis policy on that matter that I shouldn't be asked for registration because i an older than 31

That explanation only applies to aliens required to register. Since you are providing that explanation, what you should do it go to:

https://www.sss.gov/verify/sil/

and follow process to get a proper status information letter (SIL).  Do not mention the age 31 rule in your request to SSS. Instead state that you were never in the U.S. before age 26.

In 2 weeks you will get a proper   SIL instead of the PDF file which is known to enrage ISOs.

Edited by Mike E

3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

That explanation only applies to aliens required to register. Since you are providing that explanation, what you should do it go to:

https://www.sss.gov/verify/sil/

and follow process to get a proper status information letter (SIL).  Do not mention the age 31 rule in your request to SSS. Instead state that you were never in the U.S. before age 26.

In 2 weeks you will get a proper   SIL instead of the PDF file will is known to enrage ISOs.

Thats what I did because the rfe said to send explanation, I did that 

Timeline
1 minute ago, mero38 said:

Thats what I did because the rfe said to send explanation, I did that 

You printed, https://www.sss.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Status.pdf filled it out, mailed it, and received a SIL in mail from SSS?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.