ceriserose

The Canuck EI Thread

1,533 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks, that helps :) I work exactly 38 hours a week, but at least I know that if I'm going to try and collect EI I don't have to worry about it right at this instant.

Even though as a K1 you can't collect it until u get ur EAD, one still has to apply for it as soon as possible before u leave canada. Well u can do it once u enter the USA too. As well, 1 does not want to quit their job too far in advance. 1 VJ member was denied EI because she quit too far in advance

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Even though as a K1 you can't collect it until u get ur EAD, one still has to apply for it as soon as possible before u leave canada. Well u can do it once u enter the USA too. As well, 1 does not want to quit their job too far in advance. 1 VJ member was denied EI because she quit too far in advance

Ah, thanks for the info. Even though it's free money I don't think I'm gonna worry about it because my fiance can take care of me on his income anyways, and I want to minimize the headaches this process gives me in the meantime.

Timeline

Ah, thanks for the info. Even though it's free money I don't think I'm gonna worry about it because my fiance can take care of me on his income anyways, and I want to minimize the headaches this process gives me in the meantime.

free $$,lol Not really, been coming off your cheques. The govt is now just giving it back to you. As well they should take 25% off in taxes off the Ei amount. I just put it into retirement savings!! Its a very simple process.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You mentioned that you can't quit your job too far in advance. I'm planning on quitting one week after my interview, although I feel tempted to quit before then. I may not actually move until 4-6 weeks after I quit. Is that too soon?

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

I personally have no clue how much is too soon. Just passing on what VJ member experienced.

• 2 weeks later...

My job is a casual position (for four and a half months) and it ends only a few days before I am moving. Will I be eligible to collect?

Timeline

My job is a casual position (for four and a half months) and it ends only a few days before I am moving. Will I be eligible to collect?

Coconuts: I quit my job 3 weeks before moving. I was not covered for those 3 weeks. They said it took effect as of the day I moved to the US. Just an FYI.

Jan 09 - Met online
Jun 09 - Met in person
Apr 10 - Engaged
Jun 5, 10 - Married
July 1, 10 - I-130 Received at USCIS Lockbox
July 8, 10 - Cheque cashed
July 9, 10 - NOA 1
Nov 3, 10 - Touched!
Nov 4, 10 - Touched!
Nov 5, 10 - Approved!! NOA 2 by email

NVC Received File -
Nov 12, 10 - Received Case #/Opted into Electronic Processing DS3032 Sent

Nov 18, 10 - I-864(AOS) fee payment Received
Nov 20, 10 - I-864 (AOS) PAID
Nov 21, 10 - Opted out of Electronic Processing
Nov 23, 10 - Resent DS-3032, Attn Supervisor Sue
Nov 24, 10 - IV Bill Invoiced
Nov 29, 10 - IV Bill Paid
Nov 29, 10 - AOS and IV Forms Sent by Fedex
Nov 30, 10 - AOS and IV Forms Received by NVC (Thank you J. Desmond!)
Dec 8, 10 - AOS and IV Forms Entered into System
Dec 31, 10 - Sign in Failed
Dec 30, 10 - Case Completed
Mar 2, 11 - APPROVED!!! YAYAYAYAYAY!!!
Mar 12, 11 - POE (Trudeau Airport) I-551 issued!

ROC
Dec 13, 12 - ROC window open
Dec 21, 12 - Sent paperwork to CSC
Dec 26, 12 - Got confirmation of delivery from USPS
Dec 27, 12 - Check goes through
Dec 28, 12 - NOA1!
Jan 30, 13 - Biometrics
Jun 13, 13 - RFE
Jun 16, 13 - RFE response sent
Jul 5, 13 - ROC APPROVED!!! Waiting for new card

Jul 11, 13 - 10 year GC received!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all.

I have a question I'm hoping one of you might have an answer for.

I've applied for EI. I now have my EAD and I've sent all that information in to them. It looks like they've approved my claim not including the time period between when I quit my job and when my EAD was issued. My question is. They say that from June 29th on it's payable.. When they issue a cheque will it be for one or two weeks, or for more tan that (given that it's been 7 weeks since the date on my EAD)? Also, have any of you had them issue cheques instead of direct deposit (I no longer have a Canadian bank account)

Timeline

Alright so.. Thanks for all those replies :D They sure helped clear up my confusion.

For anyone else who's waiting for information from EI and is wondering what's going on.

1) If it's been more than a couple of weeks since you sent them updates on your EAD.. Call them and be persistent if they don't call you back by the next day.

2) If you've been getting cards from them, fill them out and send them back (or call them and tell them you're calling to report your cards). If you haven't been getting cards from them, call them and let them know.

3) They will issue you a cheque (or rather several cheques) for the weeks between when you were approved for your EAD and when you get your EI stuff worked out. Less the two week waiting period.

I hope this helps someone else. Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Alright so.. Thanks for all those replies :D They sure helped clear up my confusion.

For anyone else who's waiting for information from EI and is wondering what's going on.

1) If it's been more than a couple of weeks since you sent them updates on your EAD.. Call them and be persistent if they don't call you back by the next day.

2) If you've been getting cards from them, fill them out and send them back (or call them and tell them you're calling to report your cards). If you haven't been getting cards from them, call them and let them know.

3) They will issue you a cheque (or rather several cheques) for the weeks between when you were approved for your EAD and when you get your EI stuff worked out. Less the two week waiting period.

I hope this helps someone else. Good luck.

Hoping some nice folks can help me out with a few questions here, don't have the time to read threw 55 pages and some of the info seems dated on the earlier pages that I have read.

I'm quiting my job on the 16th, of sept, entering on K1 to the states on the 18th of sept, now from what I understand it's best if I apply for EI before I leave canada? I read I should ask my employer to put " quit, relocated for anticipated marriage" on my record of employment. Now when can I/should I apply for EI, 16th of sept my last day? or do I have to wait for my ROE? and I assume applying online is the easiest way. Once I apply online I just wait for my EAD and then fax/mail it in to EI Canada once I get it and then the checks will start, and they will obviously only be from the date I get my EAD on. How is the money given, direct deposit or check? Also what taxes are taken off, read 25% but not sure if thats true? Any info from someone with experience on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Timeline

Hoping some nice folks can help me out with a few questions here, don't have the time to read threw 55 pages and some of the info seems dated on the earlier pages that I have read.

I'm quiting my job on the 16th, of sept, entering on K1 to the states on the 18th of sept, now from what I understand it's best if I apply for EI before I leave canada? I read I should ask my employer to put " quit, relocated for anticipated marriage" on my record of employment. Now when can I/should I apply for EI, 16th of sept my last day? or do I have to wait for my ROE? and I assume applying online is the easiest way. Once I apply online I just wait for my EAD and then fax/mail it in to EI Canada once I get it and then the checks will start, and they will obviously only be from the date I get my EAD on. How is the money given, direct deposit or check? Also what taxes are taken off, read 25% but not sure if thats true? Any info from someone with experience on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

You can wait to apply until you get down to the USA. You should apply as soon as possible after that. From what I have read on here it's better to wait until you've crossed the border otherwise you'll have to wait while your claim gets transferred to the the out of state office anyway. It's fine if your employer puts that you've relocated for marriage, or if they don't. Don't panic if they don't. My full time employer just put quit. Just make sure you send them your ROE's

You can apply for EI online once you've moved. You won't get any until you have your EAD. Fax your EAD to them and then CALL THEM to ensure they have it and encourage them to do something with your file. :) They'll pay you by cheque if you don't set up a direct deposit on the myservicecanada site. You can only get direct deposit if you still have a Canadian bank account. The website will also tell you how much EI you qualify for and for how long. They take 25%. They pay from when your EAD is issued less your two week waiting period.

Edited by Lami

• 2 weeks later...

I thought others might find this link as helpful as I do: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/information/outside_canada.shtml#hours

It's the link for Service Canada's website for collecting EI if you are outside of Canada.....FAQ's, phone numbers, addresses, who qualifies, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't know if this in somewhere in the previous 54 pages, but I'm wondering if you can collect EI if you're on a leave of absence? I plan on working until Canadian Thanksgiving and then move the following week.

I've been wondering the same thing. My employer will allow either a 1yr or upto 5yr leave of absence for "relocated spouse". I think it would be prudent to try this rather than out-right quit in case things don't work out. Am I able to collect EI when on a leave of absence?

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been wondering the same thing. My employer will allow either a 1yr or upto 5yr leave of absence for "relocated spouse". I think it would be prudent to try this rather than out-right quit in case things don't work out. Am I able to collect EI when on a leave of absence?

Ok nevermind found it http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/digest/6_5_0.shtml#a6_5_3

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.