slim

FOOD!!!

68 posts in this topic

My wife was curious and told me to post this new thread.

How many of you out there have now changed your diet since your wife (husband) has arrived in the U.S. and you're now living together?

I'm a pizza/hamburgers/coca-cola/beer kind of guy and haven't touched vegetables since my mom made me "eat three bites and you can be excused." But now, my wife's on me to "not eat such $#!TTY food." She' mixing in all types of green stuff and carrots and even some eggplant in my meat and potatoes. Have you're spouses done anything similar?

I know we touched on this in the cultural differences thread, but this one is just for food. More specifically, it's for the changes you've made (or haven't made) in your regualr eating habits since shacking up together. Please share!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I know we touched on this in the cultural differences thread, but this one is just for food. More specifically, it's for the changes you've made (or haven't made) in your regualr eating habits since shacking up together. Please share!

I still eat the same non-Russian food. I'm making some Kraft Mac&Cheese as I type this. In Russia, I liked the food. It is more my wife's diet that I don't like. I can't handle a zero-carb diet, I don't have any weight to lose.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

I found a cow's tongue in a supermarket once and wanted to make a tongue salad for my hubster, who always asks for some Russian food. He saw me cleaning it, sniffed the aroma in the air and I didn't see him for the next 6 hours! Apparently, the intermingling coexistence of Russian and American cuisines in our household almost irretrievably collapsed at that point! :)

Timeline

I eat healthier. I can't go to McDonalds or Wendy's anymore. :no: We have come about halfway as far as the diet is concerned. When my wife first started eating "American" food, she was very picky. She has 'warmed up' to American food now, but not everything. We eat lots more veggies. We very rarely eat beef. I eat more seafoods and stuff. I refuse to eat chicken liver though. The smell makes me sick.

We occasionally have a true "Russian" Dinner, but rarely. Like Borsh or palmeni or something.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Both of us pretty much eat everything. Amazingly my wife had no troubles eating all the new food in America. And I mean stuff ranging from Chinese to Mexican.

However, I have been the one urging her to change her Siberian Russian diet which I think is unhealthy. For example, lots of bread and potatoes. Very few vegetables and fruits. And the worst of the worst, pure smoked pig fat with garlic! Having grown up in the central valley of California I am big on fresh fruit and vegetables that are in season. But then again I have had Russian food since coming here since that is what my grandmother and parents cooked at home when I lived with them. But her cooking is a little different so I had her watch my mom and grandma on some my favorite dishes.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
And the worst of the worst, pure smoked pig fat with garlic!

Yaam!! Salo! :thumbs: So nutritious and delicious (my Ukrainian grand-roots talking - it's a national icon there, almost) I miss the stuff, smoked with pepper and garlic with hard-boiled eggs and a piece of fresh-baked bread... Drooling - like Russ' wife I am low-carb, and salo by itself is a bit challenging, to put it mildly.

I knew my diet was in for big changes when about 3 days after Anna arrived, I came home from work, looked in the fridge and cabinets for food, and all my snacks and junk food were gone. She did the same thing with a lot of my clothes about a week later, but that's a different topic.

Nine months later, I'm lucky if I'm able to get a hamburger once a month (or pizza too). Seems like all our home dinners consist of either salad, borscht or chicken. Luckily, I don't work too close to home so I can still occasionally sneak in a burger or slice of pizza for lunch.

Can’t say I’m all that upset because I feel so much better. She also helped me to quit smoking and start back at the gym on a regular basis.

----------------------------------------

K-1 Visa

04/17/06- NOA1

04/25/06- NOA2

10/24/06- Interview: Approved!

AOS (Green Card)

01/26/07- NOA 1

02/15/07- Biometrics Appointment

04/18/07- Interview Approved

06/08/07- Receive Welcome Letter

06/11/07- Receive Green Card

Removal of Conditions

03/30/09- NOA 1

04/15/09- Biometrics Appointment

07/07/09- Approved (via Email)

08/03/09- Receive Green Card

Naturalization

03/11/09- Mailed N-400

03/12/09- Received in Lewisville

03/12/09- NOA 1

03/18/10- Check Cleared

04/09/10- Biometrics Appointment

04/26/10- Received Interview Notice

05/27/10- Interview: Approved!

07/10/10- Received Oath Ceremony Letter

07/23/10- Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You bet your boots that my wife has influenced my diet!

When I met her, I was a vegetarian -- and had been a vegetarian for close to 30 years. I lasted that way another 2-3 years. Her borscht was my downfall.

"Please, Karl, try a bit of my borscht. I'll take the meat out."

"Oh, you like my borscht? Try some more, with a little of the meat."

Then, she gradually got more changes ...

"This mutton is really good. Wouldn't you like to try a bit, Karl?"

You get the idea. I really don't like saying no to this woman.

I'm not a vegetarian anymore! On rare occasion, I'll even buy and prepare meat myself. And I can't wait for her to arrive and change my diet some more!

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Timeline
I'm not a vegetarian anymore!

Some vegetarians do not eat meat for ethical, moral reasons. I feel the same

way about eating meat.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

Just out of curiousity:

what is your favorite food that your foreign spose makes and you just love it ( russian only) and does she/he make any american food or at least trying to make something that you are used to eating?

12/14/09 - I-751 mailed

12/23/09 - Check cashed

12/28/09 - NOA1 (dated 12/21/09)

01/03/10 - I-797 NOA received for biometrics appt

01/26/10 - Biometrics appt.

01/27/10 - Touch

04/29/10 - Approved

reminder for myself: apply for citizenship in november 2010

Timeline

My sweet Sasha eats anything with me while we are in the States. We try our best to eat healthy, but even she admits that the flavors of our fatty foods are just too tempting! We don't usually fill our bellies with #######, but we do eat tons of ice cream and meaty salads. While we're in Russia, we eat whatever we can to prevent starving! that's not to say that we dont have food or cannot find it, because it's everywhere! the problem is neither of us can prepare Russian food. Her sister Nina was blessed with art cooking, and if it were'nt for her, we'd both be dead! Hahaha. My favorites are all Russian soups. just love 'em. Secondly, I would have to choose those larges hunks of mouthwatering pork cooked over hot coals, Shashlik, or however you would spell it in English. I'm a big fan of yogurts and I think Russian yogurt is much nicer and there are many more varieties. Is beer considered a food group yet? It should be. I drink so much of it when I'm there. :) We love salads and really enjoy vegetables grown at home, not waxy and underdeveloped veggies from a produce greenhouse. We also eat tons of sushi when we have the chance. not American nor Russian. Go figure.

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Timeline
what is your favorite food that your foreign spose makes and you just love it ( russian only) and does she/he make any american food or at least trying to make something that you are used to eating?

Бутерброд и суп. Okay, that's American too, but it is a treat when my wife makes lunch.

Мне нравятся пельмени тоже.

Timeline
Is beer considered a food group yet? It should be. I drink so much of it when I'm there. :)

Here's a little secret. All beer in Russia is Russian. Heineken? Made in Russia. Miller? That too. German beers? German name, but from a Russian brewery.

Heineken in America actually comes from Holland (and most other beers as well). Fosters is an exception, made by Molson last time I checked.

And Балтика? That's actually a joint venture of Carlsburg and Newcastle!

Timeline

I know they brew those brands there, but since I am spoiled and get the real thing at home, i only drink the crappiest of true Russian beer. Some restaurants there also brew their own brew. Really cool. Even if it does taste like I made it myself! I went on the brew tour in Amsterdam once for Heineken. wasn't impressed. Urquel in Czech Rep. is far better. I live in Busch territory so we have the best of AB. miller doesnt even exist here. And Miller is like one of the more expensive brands in Russia. Its ok, but not great. Love the extra large bottles though! I found Baltika only drinkable when already drunk..hahaha!

Edited by Jason-Sasha

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Timeline
ok, but not great. Love the extra large bottles though! I found Baltika only drinkable when already drunk..hahaha!

Baltica 7 is my favorite drink there, #2 would be Carlsburg. In the month I was just there, I only had 2 shots of vodka. I've had 3 in the month we have been home :)

I spent a few years living in Holland, and I've had enough Dutch beer for a while. There is really no selection there, other than Heineken, Grolsh, Bavaria, and, well, actually that's about it. Most pubs only have one type of beer on draft.

The "heineken experience" is a tourist trap, but at least they give you a few free beers. Probably cheaper than the Leidseplein pubs around it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.