h.linds

Applying Passport after Naturalization - Spouse name was accidently entered incorrectly

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with my passport application and would really appreciate any advice. I applied for my passport a few days after the Oath Ceremony at a local passport acceptance facility. It has been almost 04 weeks, payment was already cashed about 2 weeks ago, but my status on the tracking system is still "Not Available". I have been trying to call the 1-877-487-2778 almost everyday, but no luck talking with a human so far. This morning, I double-checked my submitted application and found out that I accidently put my husband name in the regular order of "' First Name, Middle Name, Last name"' instead of "'Last name, First Name, Middle Name"' as required by the form. Wondering if this mistake messes up my application? Also started planning to contact my state senator as I sent along the original naturalization certificate and I currently have no other paperwork to prove my legal status over here.

Many many thanks! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Almost same issue for us.  Status is still "unavailable" after 3 weeks.  I spoke to someone at the National Passport Office, but she was no help.  I also spoke with someone at the passport agency we used.  He said "If they have cashed the check, they have the application.  He said they are flooded with passport applications right now."  I am also planning to contact US Senator soon.  As of right now, wife has no US passport, and her original Naturalization Certificate was in the passport pack, too. 

Passport website says expedited is now 5-7 weeks.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
18 hours ago, h.linds said:

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with my passport application and would really appreciate any advice. I applied for my passport a few days after the Oath Ceremony at a local passport acceptance facility. It has been almost 04 weeks, payment was already cashed about 2 weeks ago, but my status on the tracking system is still "Not Available". I have been trying to call the 1-877-487-2778 almost everyday, but no luck talking with a human so far. This morning, I double-checked my submitted application and found out that I accidently put my husband name in the regular order of "' First Name, Middle Name, Last name"' instead of "'Last name, First Name, Middle Name"' as required by the form. Wondering if this mistake messes up my application? Also started planning to contact my state senator as I sent along the original naturalization certificate and I currently have no other paperwork to prove my legal status over here.

Many many thanks! 

It just a minor issue, so nothing to worry. I'm also put my spouse "' First Name, Middle Name, Last name"' instead of "'Last name, First Name, Middle Name"' on the form too. As long as your name as a applicant matching the name on Nat certificate it should be OK. I'm into week 5 right now since DOS received it on 1/27. Website say 5-7 weeks for expedited, so we will wait and see.

Timeline

Thanks Crazy Cat and Liam2021for your advice/info.

I have reached out to my Senator Office for assistance. Entering Week #5 and my online status is still "Not Available".

Keeping my fingers crossed that the Senator Office will be able to track my application. Thought my visa journey was almost done when getting the citizenship. Nope, jumping straight onto another roller-coaster ride...Hopefully, all will be well and I won't have to spend $500 plus another 6 months - 01 year to get a replacement of my Naturalization Cert.  😩

Timeline
6 minutes ago, h.linds said:

Thanks Crazy Cat and Liam2021for your advice/info.

I have reached out to my Senator Office for assistance. Entering Week #5 and my online status is still "Not Available".

Keeping my fingers crossed that the Senator Office will be able to track my application. Thought my visa journey was almost done when getting the citizenship. Nope, jumping straight onto another roller-coaster ride...Hopefully, all will be well and I won't have to spend $500 plus another 6 months - 01 year to get a replacement of my Naturalization Cert.  😩

Found out yesterday that there was a system issue in passport tracking which caused "Not Available" status for passport applications Feb 6-Feb 13.  As of yesterday, my wife's passport status now says "In Process".  Tomorrow will be 4 weeks.   I hope you can get your issue resolved.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 3/6/2023 at 12:50 PM, Liam2021 said:

Our passport has shipped last Friday 3/3/2023. DOS received it on 1/27/2023. Locator number 62.

Awesome. Congratulations!!!:star:

Mine now shows "In Process" since 03/05 (although they cashed my payment on Feb 7), however been stuck with the same status and they just added another 02 weeks on my timeline. Locator #35 (which has lots of bad reviews from my research). I reached out to my state rep a few weeks ago, nothing has progressed so far on that front, either. I'm ready to make lots of phone calls next week. 😟

Timeline
On 3/5/2023 at 9:52 AM, Crazy Cat said:

Found out yesterday that there was a system issue in passport tracking which caused "Not Available" status for passport applications Feb 6-Feb 13.  As of yesterday, my wife's passport status now says "In Process".  Tomorrow will be 4 weeks.   I hope you can get your issue resolved.  

Hi Crazy Cat,

Thanks for the info! Has your wife's passport gotten any updates yet?

Timeline
8 minutes ago, h.linds said:

Hi Crazy Cat,

Thanks for the info! Has your wife's passport gotten any updates yet?

Status changed to "in progress" on 3/4.

Status changed to "Shipped" on 3/20.

Passport arrived on 3/21.

Took exactly 6 weeks from date of application (2/6) to the date it shipped (3/20) from Hot Springs, Arkansas.

Locator 79.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Status changed to "in progress" on 3/4.

Status changed to "Shipped" on 3/20.

Passport arrived on 3/21.

Took exactly 6 weeks from date of application (2/6) to the date it shipped (3/20) from Hot Springs, Arkansas.

Locator 79.

That's wonderful. Congratulations!

Keeping my fingers crossed that all will be well. By the way, do you live in Hot Springs or is it only your passport agency location? (Just saw your location on your signature - Redundant question. :D). Congrats again!

Edited by h.linds

Timeline
9 minutes ago, h.linds said:

That's wonderful. Congratulations!

Keeping my fingers crossed that all will be well. By the way, do you live in Hot Springs or is it only your passport agency location? (Just saw your location on your signature - Redundant question. :D). Congrats again!

Thanks.  I live in the Dallas area, but I am a native of Arkansas.  The passport was shipped from Hot Springs (which really surprised me).  Hope you get the passport soon.  Believe me, it feels great to be completely finished with the immigration process. Good luck.

On 2/27/2023 at 8:45 AM, Liam2021 said:

It just a minor issue, so nothing to worry. I'm also put my spouse "' First Name, Middle Name, Last name"' instead of "'Last name, First Name, Middle Name"' on the form too. As long as your name as a applicant matching the name on Nat certificate it should be OK. I'm into week 5 right now since DOS received it on 1/27. Website say 5-7 weeks for expedited, so we will wait and see.

Not always the case DOS is notorious for sending out passport with Typo’s even when ppl dont make any mistakes on the form. Lets hope they are able to catch the mistake and fix it for you before they print out the passport. The good thing the DOS offer free corrections you just have to fill out the DS-5504 form. 

Timeline
9 hours ago, Adujarric said:

Not always the case DOS is notorious for sending out passport with Typo’s even when ppl dont make any mistakes on the form. Lets hope they are able to catch the mistake and fix it for you before they print out the passport. The good thing the DOS offer free corrections you just have to fill out the DS-5504 form. 

We did received the passport with correct name.  The typo I'm talking about is the spouse name(not about the applicant name) in section 11 on the DS-11.

Timeline

I got both my passport and certificate today in one package. Everything is correct. 

Last night, my status was still "'In Process" on the DOS Website.  Then, this morning, the representative from my Senator Office reached out to me and notified me that the passport would arrive today. I immediately headed straight home waiting... Passport was finally in hand before noon. It was shipped overnight from locator 35, Charleston, SC.

Big shout-out to the  Constituent Advocate at U.S. Senator Thom Tillis's Office, who helped me out during this stressful experience. It feels so great that my visa journey is eventually over. Also, many thanks to you all for your wonderful advice and tips  🙏

Edited by h.linds

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.