Necrotica

Very concerned about the I-134...

6 posts in this topic

I originally posted this in the Canada forum since my fiancé is going through the Montréal Consulate, but I'm posting this here, as well, to see if anyone else has been in this situation...

I lost my job in April, after the I-134 and supporting documents (bank letter, employer letter, etc.) had been prepared since December. My fiancé's interview is FINALLY, in two and a half weeks, on August 8th. I can fill out the I-134 and have it notarized again without a problem, can get another bank letter, but the job situation is really stressing us out.

The job I have now is not a permanent job. It's considered "long-term temporary" by the place I'm working at. The way it works is that we are hired on a temporary basis but have the chance to go permanent if there are permanent job openings available. It's considered "long-term" in the fact that the position is not anticipated to end anytime soon, if ever, but the letter is probably going to say I'm a temporary worker nonetheless.

Is this going to put my fiancé's visa approval in jeopardy? I have 4 years worth of tax return transcripts that show I made well over the poverty limits, I have paycheck stubs from my last job that the affidavit of support was originally based on plus the ones from this current job, I have about $1,000 in the bank right now, I make $15.66/hour (!!!!) at this current job, but I'm going to need to somehow get a new employer letter from them, and it's going to end up saying that I'm temporary on it. Plus it may be difficult because I'm still on the payroll of the employment agency until I convert over to the actual company (but still as a temp) on August 5th... yeah, 3 days before the interview...

I MIGHT be able to get the employment agency to put "temp to hire" on the letter... do you think that would be acceptable to the Consulate? I don't have anyone willing to be a co-sponsor, so if I can't manage to do this on my own, we're screwed. I am going to be VERY upset if my fiancé's visa is denied because of this... we've gone through hell in this process...

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Edited by Necrotica

08/25/06 - 08/08/07 - K1 timeframe from mailing the petition to the NSC to K1 approval at the Montréal Consulate

08/31/07 - Réjean makes the big move to the USA

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

10/09/07 - Réjean gets his SSN

Adjustment of status:

10/26/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

11/23/07 - Biometrics appointment

12/14/07 - I-485 transferred to the California Service Center

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

02/08/08 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!!!!

02/16/08 - Green card received!

*headdesk*:

01/02/09 - Réjean loses his wallet containing his drivers license, Social Security card, and green card

02/04/09 - Our best friends bail us out by giving us the money to file for the replacement green card!

02/12/09 - E-filed I-90 for the replacement green card along with the $370 filing fee (including biometrics)

02/19/09 - NOA1

02/25/09 - Biometrics appointment

05/01/09 - Replacement green card received

Removal of conditions:

01/07/10: Mailed I-751 packet by overnight mail to the CSC

01/11/10: I-751 packet delivered and signed for

01/19/10: Received NOA1

01/28/10: Biometrics (did walk-in due to Réjean being out on the road on original date of 02/10/10)

02/03/10: APPROVED!!!

02/05/10: Received e-mail from USCIS saying the card production has been ordered

02/06/10: Received letter typed on plain paper from USCIS congratulating Réjean on his removal of conditions approval

02/11/10: Green card received

Anyone?

08/25/06 - 08/08/07 - K1 timeframe from mailing the petition to the NSC to K1 approval at the Montréal Consulate

08/31/07 - Réjean makes the big move to the USA

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

10/09/07 - Réjean gets his SSN

Adjustment of status:

10/26/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

11/23/07 - Biometrics appointment

12/14/07 - I-485 transferred to the California Service Center

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

02/08/08 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!!!!

02/16/08 - Green card received!

*headdesk*:

01/02/09 - Réjean loses his wallet containing his drivers license, Social Security card, and green card

02/04/09 - Our best friends bail us out by giving us the money to file for the replacement green card!

02/12/09 - E-filed I-90 for the replacement green card along with the $370 filing fee (including biometrics)

02/19/09 - NOA1

02/25/09 - Biometrics appointment

05/01/09 - Replacement green card received

Removal of conditions:

01/07/10: Mailed I-751 packet by overnight mail to the CSC

01/11/10: I-751 packet delivered and signed for

01/19/10: Received NOA1

01/28/10: Biometrics (did walk-in due to Réjean being out on the road on original date of 02/10/10)

02/03/10: APPROVED!!!

02/05/10: Received e-mail from USCIS saying the card production has been ordered

02/06/10: Received letter typed on plain paper from USCIS congratulating Réjean on his removal of conditions approval

02/11/10: Green card received

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I originally posted this in the Canada forum since my fiancé is going through the Montréal Consulate, but I'm posting this here, as well, to see if anyone else has been in this situation...

I lost my job in April, after the I-134 and supporting documents (bank letter, employer letter, etc.) had been prepared since December. My fiancé's interview is FINALLY, in two and a half weeks, on August 8th. I can fill out the I-134 and have it notarized again without a problem, can get another bank letter, but the job situation is really stressing us out.

The job I have now is not a permanent job. It's considered "long-term temporary" by the place I'm working at. The way it works is that we are hired on a temporary basis but have the chance to go permanent if there are permanent job openings available. It's considered "long-term" in the fact that the position is not anticipated to end anytime soon, if ever, but the letter is probably going to say I'm a temporary worker nonetheless.

Is this going to put my fiancé's visa approval in jeopardy? I have 4 years worth of tax return transcripts that show I made well over the poverty limits, I have paycheck stubs from my last job that the affidavit of support was originally based on plus the ones from this current job, I have about $1,000 in the bank right now, I make $15.66/hour (!!!!) at this current job, but I'm going to need to somehow get a new employer letter from them, and it's going to end up saying that I'm temporary on it. Plus it may be difficult because I'm still on the payroll of the employment agency until I convert over to the actual company (but still as a temp) on August 5th... yeah, 3 days before the interview...

I MIGHT be able to get the employment agency to put "temp to hire" on the letter... do you think that would be acceptable to the Consulate? I don't have anyone willing to be a co-sponsor, so if I can't manage to do this on my own, we're screwed. I am going to be VERY upset if my fiancé's visa is denied because of this... we've gone through hell in this process...

An Employer letter is generally a good idea if it will help but it is not required. In your case, I'd skip the employer letter and use recent pay stubs as evidence of current income.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

An Employer letter is generally a good idea if it will help but it is not required. In your case, I'd skip the employer letter and use recent pay stubs as evidence of current income.

Really? That is interesting. I thought having an employer letter was pretty much a needed document, or helped a lot. How do you prove that you are working full time without this?

3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_tha0001-0003a.gif

I-129F

Petition mailed to Nebraska Service Center 06/04/2007

Petition received by CSC 06/19/2007...NOA1

I love my Siamese kitten...

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Really? That is interesting. I thought having an employer letter was pretty much a needed document, or helped a lot. How do you prove that you are working full time without this?

A few recent pay stubs will show that you are working and earning enough to qualify as sponsor. Full time isn't an issue but often pay stubs indicate the hour worked during the pay period as well. In this poster's circumstances an Employer letter would probably not be of benefit. For most, it is a good idea. It is not "required".

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I would try to find out from other Montreal people, does anyone get delayed due to weak I-134? I have read they are less important than the I-864 at AOS. But that may vary consulate to consulate -- I think Manilla is tough.

It is great you have strong tax returns. Those should be your primary source of info. Pay stubs listed year to date (YTD) wages might be good. If you summarize your former job and your temp work, maybe you've made sufficient funds already.

Don't stress about the bank letter, you need to focus on the income requirements.

Good Luck!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.