amh123

Using "Husband/Wife" in text messages

23 posts in this topic

On 12/18/2022 at 4:08 AM, amh123 said:

Hello,

When I submitted my I-129F, I attached 23 pages of WhatsApp chat logs spread out over the timeline of the relationship.  I didn't think much of it and didn't read through every single line until reading another forum post. My fiance is Colombian and she uses the term "husband(esposo)" as a term of endearment and her way she feels of being sweet in our texts. 

I went back and reviewed the copy I made of what I submitted in my K-1 Packet, and of the 23 pages of texts, she used "husband" 3 times and I called her "wife" once.  We also have plenty of uses of boyfriend/girlfriend in the earlier messages as well as fiance. Also are conversations where she says "marry meee" in a playful manner which in text may not come off that way. All our social medias show engaged/fiance. Bad mistake on my end, I know, that just didn't cross my mind when I was submitting the packet.

From what I've read, this will be an issue during the interview for my fiance and this looks like i'll be denied? My question is if the interviewer will read through each line of the 23 pages of text messages and what our chances of approval are at now?  I only submitted the K-1 packet 2 months ago. Trying to decide if it's a high chance of denial because of those text messages, would it be better to pivot to CR-1 now instead of waiting 1.5 years for a rejection and then starting the CR-1 process?

Thanks for any advice!

I think this will alleviate your concerns

https://youtu.be/dcqWBNHDN2g

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 12/22/2022 at 11:25 PM, Mr. Ross said:

In Colombia it’s a normal term of endearment but we recommend you get a letter from the Colombian government that attests to your fiancée’s single status.  

its called an affidavit of single status and can be easily obtained from the Colombian National Civil Registry  -   The address in Bogotá is Avenida Calle 26, #51 - 50.  - CAN 

This letter states your fiancé is single and free to marry - get it translated into English. 

Have this affidavit of single status letter ready in case you get asked about the chat logs.   Either from the service center or at the embassy interview.  

it overrides any playful banter and chat in your chat logs.   

Relax - you will be fine ok 

This is great information! Thank You! I did not know this existed and my fiancee had forgotten about this. We will do this after the holidays!

Timeline
8 hours ago, rich rich said:

I think this will alleviate your concerns

https://youtu.be/dcqWBNHDN2g

Did you mean to link the video talking about religious ceremonies?

In my situation, we never did any sort of ceremony, just text messages using the word "spouse" I didn't see any mention of that in the video you linked, but still good information on ceremonies thank you!

1 minute ago, amh123 said:

Did you mean to link the video talking about religious ceremonies?

In my situation, we never did any sort of ceremony, just text messages using the word "spouse" I didn't see any mention of that in the video you linked, but still good information on ceremonies thank you!

I couldn't find anything specific on calling each other husband and wife. This was the closest thing I could find. If someone can have a religious ceremony and be considered unmarried, then perhaps calling each other husband and wife isn't a huge deal?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
On 12/22/2022 at 11:25 PM, Mr. Ross said:

get a letter from the Colombian government that attests to your fiancée’s single status

This is superb from a consular perspective, but if USCIS rejects the I-129F petition, it will be too late.

It's exceptionally difficult, approaching impossible, to get subsequent information to match up with a submitted petition.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

When you get the Affidavit of being single for your fiancée from the Colombian government get it translated into English by a certified translation company.

Then write a short letter to the service center that is handling your K1,case with a copy of the Colombian government affidavit of being single,  the certified translation and the NOA1 letter. 

In your letter - Briefly apologize for forgetting to submit this affidavit and respectfully request it be added to your K1 visa package. 

USCIS can accept the addition,  or not,  it’s up to the visa officer but go ahead and be proactive with this suggestion. 

This should cover the service center adjudication.

Upload the certified affidavit of “being single” at the NVC CEAC stage under other documents include the translation.  

Bring the original letter to the visa interview.  

Then 2 weeks before the face to face visa interview at the embassy both of you write new letters of intent to get married clearly stating you are both single - and legally able to get married in the USA. 

You can get the Colombian government affidavit certifying your fiancé is single at this address in Bogotá Colombia -  

Carrera 7 - Calle 32 - numero 17 - Edificio San Martin, Bogotá Colombia  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
3 hours ago, Mr. Ross said:

write a short letter to the service center that is handling your K1,case with a copy of the Colombian government affidavit of being single,  the certified translation and the NOA1 letter. 

In your letter - Briefly apologize for forgetting to submit this affidavit and respectfully request it be added to your K1 visa package. 

USCIS can accept the addition,  or not,  it’s up to the visa officer but go ahead and be proactive with this suggestion. 

This should cover the service center adjudication.

Excellent overall post.  The quoted section has a decent chance of working if the OP has an A-number to include with the extra material.  However, if the petition is still sitting in a box at the USCIS processing center, waiting to be looked at, the chances are far lower of the extra material's being joined with the original material.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 4 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
On 12/24/2022 at 12:19 PM, Mr. Ross said:

When you get the Affidavit of being single for your fiancée from the Colombian government get it translated into English by a certified translation company.

For USCIS, anyone who is fluent in both languages can translate a document.  Just include the obligatory certification statement.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.