FPS81

domicile question

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
26 minutes ago, FPS81 said:

I have lived in the US for years, left in 2004, submitted I-130 in August of this year.

The problem is most of those things on the list are not something I can get without being physically in the US, which is not something I want to do until before the interview, if possible.  So you're saying what I have is not enough at NVC?

Like @seekingthetruth said, the worst thing that is going to happen is that you provide the NVC everything you have to show intent to reestablish domicile, let's say in June 2023, and they ask for more proof/evidence in Sept 2023. Will you already be in the states by then? If you already are, you'll have more docs prepared to submit easily. If you are still in Taiwan when they ask for more evidence, you'll know you'll have to enter the US to get additional documentation. I guess the timing depends on when your school starts. It's a long process, you might find yourself needing to leave for school while still waiting at the USCIS stage. So, when does your academic program begin?

By the way, @pushbrk is stating that what you have is enough. I followed his advice throughout my wife's case and he was really helpful.

Edited by MarctheShark

50 minutes ago, MarctheShark said:

the worst thing that is going to happen is that you provide the NVC everything you have to show intent to reestablish domicile, let's say in June 2023, and they ask for more proof/evidence in Sept 2023.

I know a guy who had that happen.  I guess he did not provide much evidence of his intent, so they said he had to move first, which he did.  As soon as he sent them a copy of his lease, it was approved.  Basically, that is what the OP has planned, so he should be fine.

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 hours ago, MarctheShark said:

By the way, @pushbrk is stating that what you have is enough. I followed his advice throughout my wife's case and he was really helpful.

Hopefully pushbrk is right.  I'll just submit what I have to NVC, with a letter explaining I intend to move later, will have proof of domicile at interview, and see how it goes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.